FF:VIC Lots and lots of legitimate Star Wars questions (pose here)and answers

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Lute-Leigh_the-Hut, Aug 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithLord-Mixo Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I agree that Ep1 is very well balanced. But all eps have a place and a seperate tone and messages to portray. Ep 3 is going to be the classical Shakesperian tragedy. All formats are easily understood and recognisable by all cultures thats to the writting and influence of good old Willy.
    As for Gatesy good on him.
  2. Lute-Leigh_the-Hut Jedi Youngling

star 1
    When you say Ep1, you mean the first one that was shown as in Star Wars Ep4 right? Thank God for that. Ep1 was a pile of dog poo. They all do have a place, but with Lucas doing the prequels and creating so many inconsistencys, would he have been better off leaving them as they were, and only ever having the original trilogy?
  3. SithLord-Mixo Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Sorry my mistake I meant Ep4. Yes i agree that Ep1 was not as good as it could have been. Lucas has had the knack of dreaming a huge and mighty story and then trying to fill in consistency holes as he goes , especially with the sequels & prequels.

I do agree that the original trilogy was very powerful and complete. I guess for all us fans good old Georgie boy wanted to start off the story and fill in the holes in the epic that we always wondered about.I do think that we are all better off now for Ep1 & Ep2 and soon Ep3.
    I do wonder though how much input and personal knowledge George actually now has of the Star Wars universe, it being so big and all. Surely with the inconsistancies, castings and annoying little jokes, George must not have a complete hold on the subject. He is a great movie maker and would hate for him to be judged alone on his Star Wars efforts.
  4. HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania

star 6
    I'm about to request a change of name for this thread, to "I HATE EVERYTHING EXCEPT THE OT". :p

Come on guys, stop idealising the OT. The plot wasn't any better than AOTC, the acting was only a little better than TPM (especially on Mark Hamill's part) and the special effects were probably the most attractive thing about it back in 1977. As much as you want to go on about the depth of the plot and the whole duality thing, the fact of the matter is that people don't watch the Star Wars movies to see moving performances, things that make you cry and thought-provoking ideas. They go to watch cool spaceships and laser swords.
  5. SithLord-Mixo Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Yeah what was great about Ep4,5&6 was the rawness of the footage and effects. It gave you like a real feel to the atmosphere of the movies. I don't think that modern day SFX portray that feeling anymore. It is a shame. Actors in real locations, men in rubber suits and model-kit made starfighters is what made Star Wars. You saw actors really sweating and talking to characters that were actually present. It just proves that SFX don't make a movie.
    I will shut up about the acting for now for the meer fact of keeping the peace.
    Peace to all.
  6. Lute-Leigh_the-Hut Jedi Youngling

star 1
    You've delivered a low blow Hawk. I do not hate everything except the OT. I'm just not as impressed, not as flabbergasted, and not emotionally torn after walking out of the theater. People DON'T watch the Star Wars for moving performance? I'm sadened to hear that. For such an epic universe, the performances should be some of the best we will ever see. Take Lord of the Rings for instance. The performances in that were phenominal.

I don't go to see cool space ships and laser swords. Well, maybe the sabres but not the ships. The Pod racing was the biggest toss off of special effects I ever saw. The only good part in that was the sand people shooting at them like sport.

I want more men in rubber suits. Anyone can create a dodgy computer animation.
  7. SithLord-Mixo Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Now now Leigh, I am hearing you home boy. I also go to the movies to see good acting from good actors, not bad overpaid acting from supposed good actors.
    Yes for such an epic vision their should be more believable performances. Perhaps Ep3 will break the mold. Lord Of The Rings did bring forth some good acting performances, i agree. Look at Gandolf for instance. Perfection. Lucas in some respects should look to Peter Jackson ( a man who to this stage has made low budget splatter movies and a few low brow Hollywood flics) for some guidance. For the man who made "Meet the Feebles" and "Bad Taste" he certainly has gone a long way, more by talent than luck I think. Lucas is very set in his ways at the moment and needs a good shake up and rethink.
    The SFX in Star Wars is grand but in Ep1 &2 just not as believable or realistic to the eye. It is easy to spot a fake now.
    The pod race was rather spectacular though but still rather predictable and childish.
    Hurrah for the debate Leigh. Keep up the challenge.
  8. Lute-Leigh_the-Hut Jedi Youngling

star 1
    By the time Lucas has a good shakeup and a rethink, it'll be too late. too little, too late is the expression I'm thinking of. At least he still has one more episode to fill in the gap, and hopefully he painstakingly irons out all the creases, especially the acting. If that is the greatest performance those actors could achieve they shouldn't have got the job for Star Wars.

"Bad Taste", "Meet the Feebles", and "Lord of the Rings". Ahh, a director we can trust to the very core to deliver spectacular effects (even if they were dodgy in his early days) AND quality acting. As he says in Bad Taste 'DEREKS DON'T DIE.' I can't say the same for Lucas' talent. Ya gotta love Derek.
  9. SithLord-Mixo Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I think that Lucas can awaken himself hopefully. He is very comfortable in his own little world of success and wealth. but I think he with his great talent and vision will burst from this tiny enclosure. He surely would want to be remembered more for his overall portfolio than his efforts say in Ep1.
    The actors should wake up to themselves. It is an honor to have been chosen and act in any Star Wars flic. So instead of just filling up their portfolios and adding another notch to their gun butt, they should concentrate and live for their role. Paycheck does not = performance.
    Jackson may have been lucky to date with LOTR but time and other projects will tell. Give a monkey a 800million budget and that ape could probably produce a masterpiece.
    I do love Derek also. He is the ultimate hero in a world gone insane. We should proclaim Derek as a honory Jedi.
    Once again Leigh touche nice comeback and I would say for me a fair pary.

10. Lute-Leigh_the-Hut Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Honorary Jedi Derek. I second that motion. He will prevail where all else will fail. Let him rise above all else and inherit THE FORCE.
  11. SithLord-Mixo Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I agree, hurrah to Leigh. Derek has proven himself in battle and in honor. He has a clear grasp of the force and is of good heart. Listen to us George and promote Derek.
    Leigh have you got any other topics of debate? I await your challenge with baited breath. What do others think?
  12. Lute-Leigh_the-Hut Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Okay, Mixo. And Hawk for that matter. You think I'm totally pro OT. Well here's something for you. Thinking back to the first time you saw Ep6 (assuming you watched them in order up until this point) were you not curios as to who this all powerful Jabba was? And when you saw him, were you not amazed and dumbfounded? The almighty Jabba is an overgrown slug. I like it, I like it alot.

Now, when they decided to remaster/re-release the trilogy did they have to put Jabba in Ep4? For those who only got hooked on Star Wars after the re-release, what build up did they get in finding out who the powerful Jabba was? None. And as for that Jabba, he just didn't quite flesh out as a computer image as opposed to the 'REAL' thing. Although I must admit the eyes were quite convincing.

The make Derek a Jedi petition stands at 2 votes. I might start a poll. Please all fans unite to make this poll awesome!
  13. SithLord-Mixo Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Hey I am pro all Eps. You just have to look at each one for its own value. Yes in the movies Jabba's character and persona was very underdone to say the least. But in a universe full of Alien creatures is it not to hard to comprehend a slug like beast being of a very powerful nature? I like it I like it a lot!!!!
    I would have to say that the re-introduced Jabba in Ep4 was of very poor quality. George should take a long hard look at that. But it did add to the story heaps. Jabba in Ep6 was way more convincing and had definate character. Rubber suits=realism?
    Leigh I have voted in your poll making it even more awesome!!
    !!! Go Derek GO!!!!
    !!! Go Derek GO!!!!
    !!! Go Derek GO!!!!
    !!! Go Derek GO!!!!
  14. Lute-Leigh_the-Hut Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Yes Mixo. Rubber Suits do = realism. You can imagine the flesh. Like the part where Solo stands on Jabbas 'tail'. If that was a rubber suit I would personally 'feel' the flesh get squashed by the weight of Solo. The computer animation doesn't recreate Jabba's form as to show the slug's emotional turmoil in being stood on.

Hey, it may have added to the story. But my point was this: If you just sat down for the very first time to watch episodes 4 to 6 (the remastered versions) you would get to see Jabba from the beggining, which robs you of the chance of the buildup for episode 6. Us veterans initially only HEARD about the all-powerful Jabba in Ep4, and we were left to wonder what he is actually like, until the spin-tingling climax of laying your eyes on him for the very first time in ep6.

Now again, do you think newbies are robbed of the climax?
  15. SithLord-Mixo Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I agree that the new sfx is not all that realistic at all. Yes you can see rubber and dodgy fur effects, but that is what we see in real life, with our own eyes. Jabba in Ep4 was a joke, some of the dodgiest effects I have ever seen, hastily made and did not interact very wll with Han. At least Lucas did shoot the inital scene I guess.3 cheers for fore thought I guess.
    I do agree that dodgy Ep4 Jabba is a huge jump backwards when viewing him in Ep6. Perhaps the scene should have been left out? In ep 4+5 we only here of Jabba then in Ep6 finally see this all mighty and feared black ,marketeer. The result in Ep6 was amazing. This big bloated alien slug, drooling, eating and harrassing girls. Amazing! I think that newbies should watch just not the remastered versions, but alos the original t get a feel for our minds and opinions. I was there when Star Wars started and are still there now. Those year swere the Golden Age of Star Wars and cannot be replicated.
  16. Lute-Leigh_the-Hut Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I never said the special effects weren't realistic. Who are we to know what aliens or space combat for instance look like in terms of realism. All I said is that the rubber suits portray a higher degree of realism in terms of fleshing creatures out. The sfx are amazing otherwise.

There are probably heaps of scenes that were initially filmed which ended up on the cutting room floor. It's a pity in the remasters they couldn't have chosen some better deleted scenes to re-introduce. But, I suppose Lucas will be saving them for the ULTRA-remastered trilogy, which again will entice the geeks to own yet another copy of Star Wars.

The golden age of Star Wars is long gone. Lucas has set his sights on marketing rather than attractive movies.
  17. SithLord-Mixo Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    The problem is what is real looks real and what is fake look fake, I can tell you any scene in any movie that is not totally real just by the look of it and the outlines of the people against it ot interact with it. My eye yet cannot be fooled. Yes the sfx is amazing, so what. Do you think Lucas can cloud my eyes with pretty images rather than substance of story. I THINK NOT!!!!
    Yes I can imagine another remixed version of the orignal trilogy coming out one day. Why not? There is money in them thar hills! In most movies some of the bet scenes are left on the cutting room floor. Lucas has to start aiming beyond $$$$ and to the legion of fans that has made him rich, how about a little respect and gratitude back? But tne again he has to make money and if I were in his shoes I would do the same.
  18. Lute-Leigh_the-Hut Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Mixo, Mixo, Mixo. Yet again you misunderstand. I said the special effects were excellents, yet I never said they made the movie. Take out all the effects, and give me some substance and I'll be a happy man with another "Bad Taste" on my hands.

There is definite quality out there in Lucas' movie handbook, but the quality must come in all shapes and sizes. Special effects fits one category - not all. All others pieces of the puzzle must also portray quality, and come together as one before I'll be fooled by another Lucas nightmare.
  19. HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania

star 6
    Where are Huggard's Heroes when you need them...
  20. SithLord-Mixo Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    HawkNC
    Who r Huggard's Heroes?

Please tell.
  21. Lute-Leigh_the-Hut Jedi Youngling

star 1
    If you like the read Hawk, just listen and learn. Or pipe in with your own critisism. I want to hear some voices.
  22. HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania

star 6
    Settle down children, and I shall tell you the tale of Huggard's Heroes...

A long time ago, in a message board...well, not so far away...a FanForce was in turmoil. The fans had abandoned their state, and the Victorian forum looked in danger of closing. However, a small band of loyal Star Wars fans came across this board and called it their own. Senator Elegos A'Kla was one of the first to occupy this forum, but soon came the bringers of Huggard, Protege-of-Thrawn and Jet-Eye. With the help of our loyal City Rep, LordVaderFF, these people helped to resurrect this FF from near death. Soon, people like myself and Darth_Reign discovered this wondrous forum and pledged our alliegience, one board under Huggard. These pioneers were the first of Huggard's Heroes, but the term has now grown to encompass all VicFF regular patrons.

Damn, I spin a decent load of crap, don't I? ;)
  23. SithLord-Mixo Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Thanks for the explanation Hawk. Many moons ago a ninja rabbit was dropped on the doorstep of a lonely monk. He taught him the ways of Zen. Thus MixoJoe was produced and the people has a hero. Then George Lucas came along read the story and the rest is history ..."Star Wars"
  24. Lute-Leigh_the-Hut Jedi Youngling

star 1
    MixoJoe? Are you serious? I'm sure I saw a short film by the same name at a short film festival. It was mediocre at best. But had some good concepts. You idolize this rabbit do you? Well good for you.

That little story on Hubbard was quite interesting. I can see why these boards have been threatened before. Because there's hardly any activity at the best of times, including the Huggards Heroes. Victoria are down by a huge amount of messages/replies. Come on guys, we have 2 guys here (myself, and Mixo) criticising many aspects of Star Wars, and no-one has there own views on any of this?! Come on you must voice your opinions, concerns, hatreds, and anything else you can muster. I and I'm assuming Mixo aswell, by all means do not dislike Star Wars at all. We're just giving it a thrashing, and I'm sure all you guys and huggards out there could bounce back if need be.

Come on, I'm no huggard, but I'm damn well posting more than the rest of ya!
  25. SithLord-Mixo Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    MixoJoe!!!! yes i m serious. Yes you did probably see it at a festival somewhere in the country. Mediocre, well we all have our own opinions. But in my defence I can say that I am an award winning film maker and have been shown all over this country and overseas. Case closed. I do idolize MixoJoe. He is what made me in the first place and will always have a special place in my heart and the rest of the nation's
    I do agree that these boards need more activity though and some interesting debate. Perhaps the Star Wars fans here are as comfortable in their own success as is George Lucas himself, and in turn are failing the Star Wars community as a whole? Victoria must rise and be seen as the IQ state and not the state of dullness and red-neckability that it is today. Come on all rise up and be heard and help. I love a good challenge so here it is huggards, zing!!!!! light sabre is drawn. BRING IT ON!!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.