main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Love for Tarkin?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by ObiWanIsTheFather, Jun 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ObiWanIsTheFather

ObiWanIsTheFather Jedi Master

Jun 1, 2005
    I am a 21 year old SW fan who is admittedly a '77er. I have loved the series since I was about eight. Anyway, the thread about how overrated Boba Fett was reminded me of another smaller character who I was curious about - Grand Moff Tarkin. Not only does he leave quite an impression on the imagination with only a few scant scenes in ANH, but also has a stellar perfomance by Peter Cushing, who makes all of his lines unforgettable.

Who else has got the love for Tarkin? Also, is there any truth that his last name derives from football great Fran Tarkenton?

2. DarthPoppy

DarthPoppy Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    I am a huge Tarkin fan. I think his appeal was very different than that of Fett because when Star Wars came out in '77 (I am 34, so it was my life at age 7) the Star Wars universe wasn't as developed as it is now; in fact Star Wars was the name of the movie, not a saga (the Episode III: A New Hope stuff was added when the movie was rereleased before The Empire Strikes Back). We never saw the Emperor and did not know that he was a Sith Lord (he probably wasn't even conceived as such at the time); Tarkin ruled the Death Star, and as a Regional Governor, reported directly to the Emperor. He was Darth Vader's boss (WOW!!!), could give him orders ("release him") and was charged by the Emperor, in Leia's words, with "holding Vader's leash". Very cool. Peter Cushing's portrayal of beareaucratic institutional evil is virtually without parallel. In so many ways, the way he was listed to by Vader and the Imperial militaty, without any use of the force or superpowers is what made him so scary and evil--he didn't need tricks, he was merely feared and respected.

3. The_Negotiator

The_Negotiator Jedi Youngling

May 31, 2005
    I definitely have love for Tarkin.
    In fact, I think the 'old men' of Star Wars lend the saga some credibility it may not have otherwise exuded. Alec Guinness, Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee, and Ian McDiarmid are all examples of older, more established, more respectible actors that give classy, memorable performances throughout the saga. When an older actor 'believes' the material, it becomes difficult to deny its quality.

4. Felton

Felton Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2005
    I think Cushing's Tarkin is the third best played part in all six movies behind Ian in Episode III and Harrison in the OT.

5. khabarakh23

khabarakh23 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2005
    Tarkin is the daddy.

He scared me more than vader first time i saw eps IV. He is so cold and refined.

Does anyone know if he features in any EU material?

6. crushthedemoniac

crushthedemoniac Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2005
    Peter Cushing definitely puts down a great Tarkin and it's true, he might just be scarier than Vader, even if it's just because he's more human than Vader but seems colder.

7. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Tarkin's cool with me, yo.

8. ObiWanIsTheFather

ObiWanIsTheFather Jedi Master

Jun 1, 2005
    Also, one of the moments I was waiting for in RotS was the Tarkin appearance. Too bad it was only for about three seconds, but I got very excited seeing him anyway!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.