main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Love is grand. Divorce is a !&*@(

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by Souderwan, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    So after 16 yrs and now one aborted attempt at reconciliation, and months of counseling, my wife and I just broke down and told our son that we're separating.

Definitely the hardest thing I've ever done in my life.

My wife put it best after the conversation. "Now what?"

So that's where I've been. What've you all been up to?

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    That sucks. I'm sorry to hear you and your wife are splitting.

3. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Congrats, Noundy. Very happy for you. :)

4. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    Thanks to both of you.

5. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    So sorry to hear that, Brian. :(

6. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    Sucks. Sorry, Brian.

And welcome back.

7. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    Thanks, Guys. I'm ok for the most part. I just wish my son didn't have to go through this crap.

8. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
  9. Mortimer_Snerd

Mortimer_Snerd Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 14, 2004
    My younger son is three, and when I began the divorce process he was just about to turn two, so he's pretty much ok with everything. My older son is seven and about to be eight, and he's had a hard time with it. I never disparage their mother in front of them, I guess that's the biggest thing, and their future step-mom is extremely affectionate and attentive to their feelings, so we're lucky in that aspect.

Yeah divorce sucks. It's expensive, annoying, and oh so worth it. I don't miss my horrible ex-wife at all.

If you guys can be mature and amicable throughout the process, more power to you.

10. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    I appreciate your input, dude. I don't hate my wife. Frankly, it'd be easier to leave if I did, I think. So far, we've been reasonably amicable about the whole thing and my son seems to be taking it well.

I'm mostly sitting on eggshells at the moment, trying not to smother him but still be there for him as much as he needs. 14 is a weird age. I remember getting some pretty ****ty news when I was 14 and I didn't really start dealing with what it meant to me until I was in my early 20's.

My wife and I did agree never to disparage each other and not to restrict my access to him in any way. I'm moving only 4 miles away so I'll be close to him, should he need me. The rest is just...stuff. I'm pretty much giving her everything in the house except stuff that has deep personal meaning to me. We agreed not to fight over stuff, so if she says no to something I want, I'll probably just let her keep it.

11. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Happy and sad for you Brian. I know how that is after a long time. Even when it's not working it's tough to make that final decision.

As to your son going through this... my kids, though adults felt it was better then the years of watching us on the argue/try reconcile/argue/try reconcile merry-go-round. It really was the best for me at least. And though often very lonely, I know I'm better off on my own.

[:D] [:D] [:D]

12. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Sorry for you Brian. Life moves on, though. Sometimes it must move on. I hope that - given the chance you seem to have given the relationship and the thoughtful way I always imagine you approach life - this will ultimately turn out to be most progressive of the options available to you.

13. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    That's kind of what I'm hoping for, Frieda. We never fought in front of him but I was finding it more and more difficult to be around her without getting angry. I never want to be even remotely abusive--verbally or otherwise--so I think the best thing for all involved is for me to remove myself from the situation.

And thanks, Chris. You really know how to make a guy not hate himself. :p

14. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    At least now it sounds like a peaceful separation and not a horrid nightmare.

15. Sauntaero

Sauntaero Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 9, 2003
    Best wishes. I'm sure it's a real tough place to be in now, but it'll all work out for the best. [:D]

16. Mortimer_Snerd

Mortimer_Snerd Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 14, 2004
    From what you've said so far, I gotta say I'm a little envious. I'm going on two years of the divorce process, and it's ugly. I should also state for the record that I don't hate my ex-wife, I simply don't care about her anymore. It's easy (and often funny) to make hateful remarks about her, but they're never serious. I do hate what she's been putting me and the boys through, which is a very long story, but I don't hate her.

I truly believe that if you can maintain civility and maturity your divorce process will be much smoother. It sounds simple enough, but it goes beyond squabbling over material items.

I wish the best for you and your son.

17. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i know from experience that it takes a while to get to the happy times, but you'll get there. you'll end up knowing that this was the best decision for your family, but in the meantime things will probably be a bit rough. stay strong and feel free to shoot me a pm anytime.

18. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    At the same time, it's better than to live in a household with parents that are in a loveless marriage. It may be hard for him for a while, but when he gets older, he'll that you did the right thing. I know you've felt this way for a while, and were waiting a few years for him to get older, but he IS old enough now to at least understand.

[:D]

19. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    Mortimer, I feel for you, dude. I think it helps that we both adore our son and love him more than anything. It also helps that there's very little point in trying to punish me with money since every dime that goes to the lawyers don't go to her. We've decided to do the collaborative separation/divorce thing and I highly recommend it to anyone who ever goes through something like this. Makes a big difference.

tom: I might take you up on that PM thing. That was truly profound, man. Wish I'd heard that last week. :p

20. Vincent-Kenobi

Vincent-Kenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 4, 2008
    Sorry to to hear that, man. Hope everything eventually works out. [:D]

21. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    it's from his "hilarious" special. it's on netflix and i highly recommend it if you find time to watch it.

22. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Two of his standups and the first season of his FX show are on streaming. They are awesome.

23. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    I am also happy and sad for you. More happy than sad, though. Good luck, Bri.

24. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    Watching "Hilarious" now. This guy is hilarious.

Thanks, Sonia. I know you're happy. :p

25. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    There's the old saw "Why is divorce so expensive? Because it is WORTH it!"

That was certainly my experience.
    Yeah, it is going to suck even worse than the worst break-up you ever had while dating, esp with a kid involved.
    On the other hand, he's going to be getting a lot of attention.

Just don't try to use him as a tool in personal warfare with your ex-to-be.