Lovecraft at the movies

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by DorkmanScott, Jan 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I just created a thread by way of discussion and introduction to H.P. Lovecraft in Books and Comics, but I thought I'd bring some stuff up here.

His works, as I mention elsewhere, have been heavily influential in the realms of supernatural horror. Though a satisfactory film adapted directly from Lovecraft's work has yet to be produced, there have been quite a few films using his works as inspiration, including In the Mouth of Madness (which I love) and the recent Hellboy, and several stories on the Rod Serling series Night Gallery were adaptations of Lovecraft. Hellboy director Guillermo Del Toro has expressed hopes to adapt the Lovecraft story At the Mountains of Madness into a high budget studio feature film.

Let's discuss. :)

M. Scott
  2. Funk-E Force Ghost

star 6
    Movie adaptations of Lovecraft stories are actually where I became familiar with the name (starting with Re-Animator, which also happens to be my favorite Lovecraft story). They're almos all uniformly terrible, though, at least from a pure film standpoint, which is unfortunate.
  3. JANGOANTILLES Jedi Master

star 4
    The original Ghostbusters film is something of a tribute to Lovecraft, with Gozer and the demon dogs and stuff.

"Are we actually gonna go before a federal judge, and tell him that some moldy Babylonian God is going to drop in on Central Park West, and start tearing up the city?"
  4. RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Was it "From Beyond" which took the short Lovecraft story about altering one's brain chemistry and suddenly realizing that there are monstrous organisms alive and hungry in the very air we breath. That totally freaked me out even with the bad special effects. It's something I still believe is entirely possible. When I finally got around to reading the actual story, it worked even better.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.