main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Lovely old WEG illustrations

Discussion in 'Literature' started by cthugha, Jan 20, 2013.

1. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I had a hunch you hated Wilson. But, in terms of a vision for a grand alliance of nations and a more peaceful world, there are some striking similarities between Wilson and Mon Mothma. Both were idealists that ultimately struggled with the realities of the situation they were in.

--Adm. Nick

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    They stuck their noses where they didn't belong because of some arrogant utopian vision of the world that ought to conform to their views. Both of them ruled dictatorially -- Wilson through the unconstitutional usurpation of power by his wife and Mothma just through the exercise of unrestrained power.

But this is about WEG, so here's an annoying squib :p

[​IMG]

Quiet_Mandalorian likes this.
  3. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Kill it with fire. Then burn it again to make sure.

I fully admit to being a Squib racist. I'm not ashamed: their kind and my kind don't mix.

4. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I almost want to start a Mon Mothma debate with you, but it would derail the thread and I am at work currently. Wouldn't be fair to everyone else. :p

--Adm. Nick

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    [​IMG]

Herglic Archaeologist.

[​IMG]

Ithorian Storyteller.

[​IMG]

Mon Calamari Professor

[​IMG]

Mrlssti Roving Entertainer

[​IMG]

Rodian Pacifist.

[​IMG]

Snivvian Artist.

[​IMG]

Svivreni Minerologist.

6. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    The Declaration facsimile from the TTSB reminds me that one of the things I've always loved about WEG stuff (and which I find sorely missing in more recent sources) are these attempts at verisimilitude, at giving us IU documents and all that, namedropping IU companies manufacturing stuff (everyone knows Arakyd and Bespin Motors, but does anyone remember Illiseni, Go Corp, Caldrahlsen, ...?) Also, those datapad frames from the original Adventure Journal HoloNet News pages, with code lines and everything... and things like these:
    [​IMG][face_love]

7. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    "We must not allow the mistakes of the Old Republic to corrupt the New."

I don't know if that hilarious or depressing.

Hilarious:
    BAWHahahahahaha...Bawhahahahaha!

PS - that Snivvian artist reminds of a Benedictine monk.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  8. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    [​IMG]

Looks like WEG had Zilkins long before Clone Wars or even Episode 1 concept art.

The-Eternal-Hero and Starkeiller like this.
  9. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Quick challenge; there is a female Imperial TIE pilot with short dark hair and a cyborg arm.

10. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    It is depressing, not due to any falt of the New Republic, but due to a horrible writing decision (committed by multiple authors) that decided the only way to make the Vong look scarely and unstoppable was to make the New Republic suddenly inept, inward looking, and weak. :(

I miss the days when authors viewed the New Republic as "a shiny city on a hill".

--Adm. Nick

ShanOffirin, jSarek and Zeta1127 like this.
  11. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    [face_laugh] x 100

I don't mean this as mockery, old friend, but . . . well, your so-called New Republic was inept from the start. I mean as soon as it captured Coruscant, it went bankrupt. :p

12. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I gotta disagree here. The former Rebel Alliance was by no means wealthly and up until they took Coruscant, the Rebels had the luxury of funneling all of their resources into military strength. Every revolutionary movement that suceeds has a initial struggle when it transitions to goverment. I will point out that other that immediately post-Coruscant, the New Republic is never described as being poor or lacking funds. Quite the opposite actually.

--Adm. Nick

13. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    "They have the monopoly, so they can do that. The fact that ryll kor might make bacta more effective against this virus does not diminish our need for bacta. Before the Empire aided the Xucphra and Zaltin corporations in monopolizing the bacta trade, we might have been able to find other sources of bacta. Now we have no choice but to trade with them. While we could manufacture our own bacta, the start-up costs for a facility that could produce what we need would--well, I can't say it would bankrupt us, because the New Republic may already be over that line. And you didn't hear that from me." - Admiral Ackbar, Krytos Trap.

edit: Hm, I missed the "other than immediately post" part -- which would capture this quote.

Anyway, the point was that it's rather goofy of them to plunge the Core into a recession right after taking it. Of course it'd bounce back, but it's an irresponsible act on their part. And the NR is known for irresponsibility. I mean, how many crises did it go through between the fall of the Empire and the NJO.

... yeah Nick, maybe we should just make a thread. :p

14. Reaper63

Reaper63 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    GrandAdmiralJello, that was before they took the planet and had an "in" with the new Bacta Monopoly. I'm sure a little of that Bacta money went to pay back the New Republic for ousting the Empire/Issard. Thus an influx of money to the NR.

Within a year of taking Coruscant, I'd bet they weren't so broke.

15. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    They should have went for the glitterstim spice monopoly as well. The guild wouldn't like it though. Wait..wrong franchise ;)

16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000

[​IMG]

You sure about that?

rumsmuggler likes this.
  17. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Dear New Republic
    The Spice must flow!
    Best Regards the Hutt Cartel [​IMG]

18. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    No spice is greater than melange. :)
    But since there is no melange in the gffa(as far as we know) glitterstim and the other spices will suffice.

19. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Though the funny thing is even if they found something like it in SW there really is no real need because they have Nav Computers and don’t need to strap some mutated human into an observatory so he can take a precognition guess which course to plot, whilst Bacta will also increase your lifespan and will not kill you if you don't take it regulary once you have been exposed to it.

20. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    True but people will want it anyways. It only kills you if you are addicted to it and then stop. That's why the spice always flows, at least until Leto II. Then it flowed again. :

The humans in the Dune universe hated progress, but they eventually made ships that didn't need navigators to plot courses for them and broke guild monopoly on space travel.

21. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    I feel these guys should have their own series.

Who agrees?

22. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Too few white human males, how am I supposed to understand their points of view?

23. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Good writing and universal concepts of emotions.

Hell we can relate to Elves and Dwarves so why not aliens?

Just so long as their not women, no one can relate to them[face_beatup]

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Don't worry, they can come across a human male from Tatooine who will save them from certain doom by understanding their ways better than they can.

25. Red.Two

Red.Two Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 25, 2012
    They'll be just like ours, only with one emotional difference that will make them seem odd and offputting until forced to work alongside someone who doesn't get along with them. The resulting fan fiction will attempt to subvert the paradigm ad infinitum, especially by Mary Sues.

Oh wait, that's Vulcans.