main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Loving Star Wars - Canon vs. EU

Discussion in 'Archive: King of Prussia, PA' started by Calixte, May 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Calixte

Calixte Jedi Youngling star 4

May 3, 2002
    Started this thread to address DarthSikle's questions posted in an unrelated thread....

2. Calixte

May 3, 2002
    In answer to DarthSikle's post copied here:
    >>So, what do you KOP people like in Star Wars??

Are you just Movie Purists? Anyone like EU material?? Comics? Novels? Kids books??

I live in West Conshohocken, married, 31 years old 2 kids and one on the way (all girls)

Very interested in hearing from others<<

As for me, I love ALL the movies. I've read almost all the new novels and comics from the first 6 years of release. I have a little catching up to do with the NJO and comics.

I CAN be a movie purist but that is only b/c I hated "The Courtship of Princess Leia". It was ludicrous. Everyone knows that it wouldn't have taken Han and Leia ten years to get married. Plus, she'd never have considered marrying anyone else.

:)

3. DarthSikle

DarthSikle Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2000
    have you also read the kids novels??

I go to the extreme, i have collected apple jacks strips, Stele Chronicles and Farlander Papers (both versions)

4. Calixte

May 3, 2002
    i've read a few of the kid's novels but they don't really hold my attention.

5. DarthSikle

Oct 29, 2000
    Wow Calixte, it's just you and me in here

I like the kids novels since i can usually read them in one sitting. Amazingly, the Junior Jedi Knights, starring Anakin Solo, were very good and introduced an awesome character, Uldir Lochett, who stars in a serial story in Star Wars Gamer set during the NJO

6. PadawanNick

PadawanNick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    You know, the kids books always catch my eye when the book sale comes though my kids' school, but I'm always in too much of a hurry to stop and pick one up. Maybe as they get old enough to read I'll start buying a few.

I really enjoy reading the novels surrounding the movies.
    Not the Rouge Squadron series, but Shadows of the Empire, The Admirial Thrawn Trilogy, and Shadow Hunter.
    I read the first of the Bounty Hunter series and got half-way through the second. I'll have to pick those up again.

Haven't really gotten into the NJO, but Calixte working me over on that.
    I just may cave in and start into those too.

I am very interested in the extended SW story and mythology.

One really cool web site to check out is maintained by Nathan Butler.
    I usually run into him on the FanFilms forum.
    He's compiled a very complete extended Star Wars timeline based on references from the movies, books, games, comics, and elsewhere.

You can check it out at Star Warz Timeline.

Have fun.

7. tagar

tagar Jedi Youngling star 1

May 1, 2002
    Hey all,
    (this post ended up being kind of long and rambling)
    Well I love reading just about anything dealing with the main characters.
    Except,I did not ,however, ever finish the old han solo adventures and the old lando adventures The the Splinter of the minds eye was odd. I didnt read any of the rouge squadren books or tales from the cantina(or what ever that was) or the bounty hunter books. I also never did any of the teen/kids books.
    I really enjoyed the tales of the jedi comics(4000 years before ANH) and dark empire 1 and 2. i dont read any of the newer comics that are coming out just because of my financial situation.
    The only thing that I really collect any more are the novels. The best book in my collection is the paperback of ANH that came out before the movie and has different artwork on the front and original hard back copies of ANH,ESB,RotJ and splinter of the minds eye. They are the center pieces in my small Star Wars shrine.
    I got the Zahn books(Thrawn trilogy) as soon as they came out and every major book after that. The one thing that got a little annoying about the books is that they jumped around in the time line too much. My recommendation for anyone jumping into the EU is to Start with the New Jedi Order books. The first one starts 25 years after Jedi so none of the other novels come after the NJO books. The NJO arc is going to be 19 books with the last one coming out (i think) in 2005 so its got away to go. I havent read Star by Star and the books after that one so I am falling about 3 or 4 books behind now. One of the best things about the NJO books is that they refrence everything..the books, comics, movies... one of the books has a referance to something out of ep1. Also the fist Zahn books are really good and you get to see where Mara Jade comes from.
    I even read a bunch of the 2nd edition Star Wars roleplaying materials. I never ended up playing the game but it had some cool stuff. Im selling my RPG books on ebay if anyone is interested look up auction 1735904635 and i have some other stuff up there too.
    Ive noticed some people on the boards get really bent out of shap if you bring up EU stuff, which i dont understand. Its all for fun even if the prequels end up stepping on some stuff from the EU.
    Anyway...
    -=chris

8. SarLabooda

SarLabooda Jedi Youngling

May 21, 2002
    I'm just starting to finally read the Thrawn Trilogy, and im loving it. I've also read most of the young jedi knight series by Kevin J. Anderson and I enjoyed those alot. Im thinking about moving on to NJO after im finished with Thrawn, not sure though...

9. PadawanNick

PadawanNick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    I haven't been actively collecting, though I have accumulated several books.

The one interesting thing I do have is a comic book given to me by my dad. Even at age 7, I was majorly into Star Wars after seeing the movie, so my dad picked up the first comic for me when it came out.

There are lots of these on the market now, and most are not very expensive, but there is something different about my copy. Where most have a 30 cent price marked in a rectangle in the upper left of the cover, this copy has a 35 cent price in a diamond.

Mint, this variation is supposed to be worth between $400 and $500! (Of course I was seven, so I wrote my initials on the cover. ARGH!!!!) Still, a damaged copy sold on eBay for $255. Not bad for a 35 cent comic. (Not that I plan on selling this ever, anyway.)

The comic is cool because it contains a couple deleted scenes and a few scenes that had been changed during filming. My favorite change is that, in the first Officer's meeting on the Death Star, Vader uses the Force to pick up and hold what looks like a cup of coffee. It's pretty funny to see him holding this steaming cup. (How was he supposed to drink that??)

Have fun!

10. TheRenCapt

TheRenCapt Jedi Youngling

Jun 7, 2002
    I've only been exposed to the movies so far. I do pic up the "making of" books and other reference materials. I'm also getting started on a campaign of the WotC RPG. I haven't read many of the books. But I am getting more "into" all things Star Wars.

mb
    TheRenCapt

11. DarthSikle

Oct 29, 2000
    wow...you guys have a lot of fun ahead of you if you decide to start reading EU material...there is a lot out there and contrary to popular belief, there is NO CONTRADICTION between the movies and the EU. If you have any specific questions, feel free to either: a) post them here b) PM me or c) e-mail me. If i do not know the answer off of the top of my head, i will gladly look it uo for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.