main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Loving You From Afar (an USJS alternative ending to a 'conflict')

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Amidolee, Jun 5, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amidolee

Amidolee Jedi Master star 5

Jan 8, 2000
    Hello, everyone! This is a story that takes place after Cali-Ana Angli leaves the Temple in the USJS thread. I suggest you at least read from the dance scene on before reading this so you don't get confused or anything!

Loving You From Afar

Chapter One

The crumpled flimsy fell to the floor, released from the clenched fist that had captured it. The scrawled words were fading but were not forgotten. The flimsy was suffering from many nights and days of crumpling and clenching, of being folded and unfolded over and over. It was torn and had deep creases, soil marks from bitter tears. It was a piece of flimsy that had almost been destroyed, burned or torn up, but had miraculously survived its owner?s temper.

Obi-Wan Kenobi stared down at the letter, now crumpled at his booted feet. It was amazing how he could hate a simple piece of matter, yet still not be able to destroy it every time he read it. With a trembling hand, he picked the paper up again, his eyes rereading the words, as if against his will. These words were forever engraved in his mind, yet every time he read them was like receiving the shock all over again.

My Dearest Obi-Wan,

I don?t know how to tell you, but I must offer you a reason for my leaving. Do not believe it has to do with you, because you are not at fault. It is me responsible for all that has happened. I wish I could bring myself to tell you, but I cannot. I love you, and that is why I must leave. I don?t want to hurt you, but if you knew it would only be worse.

I am fine, safe, and being taken care of. I have means of income and you do not need to worry about me. Do not look for me. I can only leave you with the knowledge that I love you and always will. You will be a great Knight, and that is what matters.

I love you. Will always love you. Always.

Loving you from afar,
    Cali-Ana Angli

Obi-Wan shoved the letter back under his pillow. It had been delivered to him six months ago, after she had left. A young girl had come to the Jedi Temple and had delivered it to him, then disappeared. He had tried to follow her, hoping to be led to Cali-Ana, but his own Master had stopped him. No one understood his need, his love for her. They had all dismissed it as a crush that he would soon get over. No one had bothered looking for her. Why had she run away from the Jedi Temple, of all places? She had been happy among the other Jedi and him. Why would she suddenly run away?

Cali-Ana Angli had been a normal teenage girl that had gone to a public school on Coruscant. The Jedi started an exchange program, to help the Jedi students interact with non-Force-sensitive people their age. Obi-Wan had practically fallen in love with her from the very moment she had collided with him in a hall. She had been angry and aloof when he had first met her, but she had soon shown her true side to him. They had discovered that she was Force-sensitive as well. Cali had grown to love the Temple and him, a happy person and always filled with a bit of mischief. And then he went on a mission for a week and came back to find her gone.

No explanation. Just vanished. Obi-Wan had not taken the news lightly. He had spent all his energies on worrying about her and trying to look for her. His studies of the Force had slackened, he seldom ate. Then Qui-Gon Jinn, his stern Master, had sought to settle the matter. He had received special tutoring from the Council members, and he finally pretended everything was fine. He was probably the most dedicated and disciplined Padawan in the entire Order. It was easier to concentrate on the Force than think about Cali-Ana.

But when left alone in his room, he brooded and moped. There was always that pressing shadow of darkness around him. His friends had stopped trying to get him to partake in their schemes and had left him be. The only ones that still made an effort to bring a smile to his face was Bant, Jane, and Meri. Strangely all were female. Not even Garen tried anymore.

2. Amidolee

Jan 8, 2000

@ @ @

?I?m not going to where anything in polka-dots,? Cali-Ana Angli said as her friend, Hahna, held the cursed garment up to her swollen belly. ?I don?t want to look like some clown from Malastare.?

Hahna giggled and set the maternity garment back on the rack. She tossed her wavy blonde hair over her shoulder as she began looking for another dress or tunic. Cali yawned and shifted her feet impatiently. Her back hurt, her feet hurt, and her head hurt. With one arm resting across her womb and her other supporting the small of her back, Cali leaned back and stretched a bit. She hated going on these shopping trips with Hahna to find clothes to fit her. It wasn?t that Hahna was annoying or anything, it was just that Cali got tired of being on her feet.

She glanced around the department store, wondering if there was a bathroom nearby. She shifted her feet again and tugged at her brown hair, fidgeting while Hahna chatted about some new guy she was with. There was a mirror a couple of racks away. Full length and wide enough to show all of her, Cali stepped into view, frowning at her image.

It was hard to believe that she was looking at herself. Her naturally dark blonde hair had been died black a few months ago, but had now faded to a light brown. It fell past her shoulders and was hanging loosed at the moment. Her once flat belly was swollen with the usual signs of being six months pregnant. She wore a large, light blue tunic and gray slacks. No make-up enhanced her natural beauty, the only enhancement was the tunic, which brought out her deep blue eyes.

?Here,? Hahna said, coming up behind her. ?Try this.? She held up a large, purple top.

Cali turned away from her image and looked at the top. ?Sure, I guess.? She couldn?t help the tiny twinge of jealousy when she took in Hahna?s appearance. The girl was fifteen and a year younger than her, but she might as well have been Cali?s twin. They were both about the same height, not two tall, not too short.Cali had once shared the slender body and curves, but now she was just a big balloon. ?Are you going to get anything??

?I might,? Hahna said with a giggle. ?Nanna Cook gave me a bonus in my payroll, so that?s cool.?

Cali felt a kick in her stomach, and bit her lip. ?Um, I have to make a run to the refresher again,? she said. ?Why don?t you go find something while I?m gone? I might stop and eat something at the food court, too.?

?Sure, no prob,? Hahna said cheerfully.

Cali quickly headed out of the store, knowing she must look like a waddling duck. She had once been graceful on her feet, but not anymore. She quickly found the public refreshers and relieved herself of the pressure that had begun to build. When refreshed, she headed back out and walked towards the food center. She had a craving for something Corellian.

Once she had her food, she found a table and began feasting in her third lunch of the day.

3. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    First person to reply!!!!!

Thankyou Amidolee for including me *grin*

Can't wait to see what happens.

Kithera

4. JediFinrod

JediFinrod Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 4, 2000
    I can't wait either! This is a great idea for a story, Amidolee! I'm glad you mentioned it on the USJS thread, or else I would have missed it.

5. The Musical Jedi

The Musical Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 13, 1999
    I really like this, Amidolee. I look forward to more!! Poor Obi-Wan, though.

6. Amidolee

Jan 8, 2000
    ?Not the women?s department, Master!? Obi-Wan pleaded as he followed his Master through the crowds of shoppers.

?What?s wrong with that?? Qui-Gon asked innocently. ?Don?t you think Kitten would love a leopard-skin sheath??

Obi-Wan groaned. ?She would, Master, but that isn?t the point!? He glanced around nervously at the crowds around the ladies? undergarments store. Most of them were female, and many of them were eyeing the Jedi. He started to pull his hood up.

?If it bothers you that much, Obi-Wan,? Qui-Gon said cheerfully. ?You may go and find something else to do. Maybe even take a chance at the arcade.?

Obi-Wan was dashing back into the crowd before his Master could change his mind. Maybe he should have left his robe and lightsaber back at the Temple. Then he wouldn?t be so obvious and wouldn?t attract attention. He found the moving stairway and quickly headed down a level. He didn?t know where he was going, but if he could get away from the large crowds, well, then maybe he could try and enjoy himself.

He found himself on the food center level, which the arcade was nearby. Obi-Wan didn?t really feel like playing any sims. The enticing smells of the food court drifted to his nose and his stomach grumbled. Maybe it would do him some good to indulge a bit. With a lighter step, the Padawan hurried towards the scents.

7. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Good start so far! Cali, I wouldn't want to wear anything in polka dots, either, if I were pregnant, and even if I weren't! Now, are they going to meet, or is it going to be a near miss? Will Qui-Gon be called down to scrape his Padawan off the floor after the shock has laid him low? Can't wait to find out!

8. The Musical Jedi

The Musical Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 13, 1999
    *catches her breath* Sith, what I wouldn't give to see the look on Obi-Wan's face . . .

9. Kenobi Maul

Kenobi Maul Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 1999
    Great start!

10. Amidolee

Jan 8, 2000

Cali licked her lips and sat back in her chair, taking a sip of her ruby biel. She watched the shoppers pass by, many human or humanoid, some Bothan, some Mon Cal, numerous species from all parts of the galaxy. It was always interesting to watch them and make up stories about them in her head. She was in the process of deciding whether the red Twi?lek was actually a secret agent for the Republic or an ace pilot when there was a strong kick in her stomach. She frowned and glanced back at the passersby.

And nearly choked on her biel. The baby kicked again, and she patted her stomach and looked back across the court to make sure she wasn?t seeing an illusion. On the other side of the court, walking along at a sedate pace, was none other than Obi-Wan Kenobi. The first thing that caught her attention was the brown robe, but then everything else stood out, as if he was standing in front of her.

Panic gripped her for a long moment, all she could do was stare. Then she realized he hadn?t noticed her and she calmed down a bit. He wasn?t even looking towards her, his attention diverted to the menu of the Corellian food stand. She could still get out of her before he even registered her signature. Getting up in haste, Cali almost spilled her biel. She quickly found the disposal. She had to go to the refresher again.

And he was between her and her escape. Nothing else to do but block the Force and go on by. Cali pretended to be studying a menu from Malastare, keeping an eye trained on Obi-Wan as the Jedi took his food and found a table. Luckily, the Jedi picked one of the most secluded tables to dine. Cali left the food line and crossed the food court, acting nonchalant, blending in with the crowd.

11. Maelisaandii

Maelisaandii Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 3, 2000
    A leopard skin sheath?! ROFLMAO!!
    This is great, Amidolee.

12. Amidolee

Jan 8, 2000

@ @ @

Obi-Wan took a bite out of his meal, then paused in mid-chew as he felt the Force whisper to him. He was instantly alert and watching the shoppers. There was nothing out of the ordinary and the Force was registering any danger. Yet something was definitely calling to him. He set his utensil down and did a closer inspection of the crowd. It was a Force-signature, but not Qui-Gon?s.

A moment later the signature vanished. Obi-Wan frowned and continued to study the crowd. A lone woman detached herself from a food line and was crossing the court. Maybe she decided that wasn?t what she wanted. He began to move on, but something drew him back to the pregnant woman. She walked stiffly along, self-conscious of her burden and trying not hurry. Her brown hair was hiding her face, but Obi-Wan suddenly found a curious urge overtake him.

His meal was forgotten and he got up, his eyes tracking the young woman as she exited the court and began walking in the direction of the public refreshers. Obi-Wan picked his pace up a bit, not wanting to lose sight of her. In the back of his mind, he knew he was being ridiculous, but there was another part of him urging that he discover who this person was.

The brunette seemed to quicken her pace, then force herself to relax and take her time. Obi-Wan made it out of the food court and he lengthened his stride. The woman turned and headed for the corridor to the refreshers. This might count as stalking, and if he was caught he didn?t know what Qui-Gon would do, but he couldn?t just ignore this urge.

The brunette was jogging down the corridor when Obi-Wan came up to the entrance. So she knew she was being followed. She didn?t look back, but flung the door open and disappeared into the female refresher.

He could wait for her, but then if she came out she could call security on him. And Qui-Gon would be wanting him back soon. Obi-Wan waited for about five minutes, then reluctantly turned away and headed back towards the women?s department.

13. JediFinrod

Mar 4, 2000
    Eek, that was close!

Okay, I'm hooked on this story now. More soon.

14. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    NO! I'm sure no-one would mind if you just nicked into the Ladies to have a look, honestly Obi-wan!

15. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Stalking? Who's been watching Eye of the Beholder, then?

And it makes me wonder if maybe the baby (being Force-sensitive, of course) didn't recognise a familiar Force-signature before Cali did, and the kick was his way of saying "Dad!"

16. Amidolee

Jan 8, 2000
    Cali sat against the cold wall of the refresher. She had been in the stall for about forty minutes. It had been a close call. Too close for comfort. Surely he knew it was her now, because he had been following her. But he had never called her name out, so maybe he didn?t really know for sure. There was always hope.

Cali took a peek outside and saw that the coast was clear. She came out and slowly headed down the corridor. Once she was sure there was no sign of the Jedi, Cali hurried back to find Hahna. She wouldn?t dare go shopping again for a long time.

More in a whittle bit!!!

17. Amidolee

Jan 8, 2000

Two months later . . .

?Oh, I hate these storms,? Daiha complained, turning away from the window. Outside, lightning flashed and thunder rumbled. Rain poured down, forming streams across the windows.

Cali looked up from the book she had been reading to watch the dark-skinned young woman pace around. ?I actually like these storms,? she said. She was relaxing on the couch, her feet and head pillowed, a blanket over her legs. She hadn?t been feeling too good earlier that day and had been given the day off from working as a waitress at one of the cantinas. The baby was rolling inside of her, kicking harder than usual.

Daiha muttered something and disappeared into her room. Hahna came out of hers, carrying another heat pad for Cali. ?Are you sure you don?t want to take anything?? Hahna asked, settling the pad over Cali?s stomach.

Cali nodded. ?He just feels like bothering mama today,? she smiled, rubbing her womb fondly.

Granny, the wealthy old woman that took care of the girls, came in from the kitchen. She looked at Cali and clucked her tongue. ?If I didn?t know better, I?d say you were going to have that child tonight.?

?It?s not due for another month,? Cali said, sitting up a bit. ?But it sure feels like I?m eighteen months along.?

Granny smiled and patted her stomach. ?They don?t really care about schedules, dear. I remember when my aunt had her child. Came out while she was in the middle of singing at an Alderaanian opera.? She shook her head. ?Don?t worry about a thing, dear, I?ve given birth to kids while they were in hyperspace.?

Cali smiled at the eccentric woman?s exclamations. Granny was a bit odd, but they all loved her dearly. It was also a relief that she wouldn?t have to go to a hospital to give birth. If she did, they would take a midi-chlorian test on her child and notify the Jedi Temple. She already knew her child would be Force-sensitive. She had touched the flame inside of her while in meditation many times. And she wasn?t going to let the Temple have her child. It surely wouldn?t take them long to know whose it was. And then Obi-Wan would probably be punished.

It was later in the night when Cali woke up from her sleep. At first, she didn?t know what had awaken her until she felt the strong kick and biting pressure. For a moment, she couldn?t brief and she gripped her stomach protectively. Then the contraction eased and she sat up.

?Why do you have to come now?? Cali asked the child. ?It?s too early!? She stood up and fought back the wash of dizziness. She remembered to breathe deeply. ?Hahna,? Cali called. ?Hahna!?

The other girl stirred in her sleep and rolled over. ?Wha . . .??

?It?s time,? Cali gasped as another contraction began. She braced herself against the wall and screamed. Sith, it hurt!

Hahna was on her feet in a minute and at Cali?s side. ?Breathe deep, Cal. Breathe.?

Cali nodded and breathed in. The pain began to subside and the grip was released. Hahna then led her across the room, shouting, ?Everyone up! We?ve got a baby on the way!?

Granny came out into the living room, robe whispering around her. Daiha emerged from her room, looking a little annoyed and sleepy. Jen, the other roommate, came out, smiling excitedly. Granny took over. ?Get the refresher prepped for her!? she barked as she took hold of Cali?s elbow. ?Get the towels on the floor and get the disinfectant!?

In just a matter of minutes they had the refresher ready. Granny shooed them into the hall and helped Cali lay down. She had just ad herself situated when the next contraction came. It was far worse than the previous and she let out a scream, gripping Granny?s arm, digging her nails into her skin. It was like being on fire from the inside. It seemed like an eternity before the pain subsided and she could breathe again.

?Make it stop, Granny,? Cali cried, cold sweat braking out all over her body. ?Please make it stop!?

?It?s nature?s way,? Granny said. ?Be ready, girl, here comes another one.?

The pain got worse and worse each t

18. Amidolee

Jan 8, 2000
    There was a scream. Someone was screaming his name. Then there was the sound of a child wailing. Obi-Wan sat up in bed, blinking and in a sweat. The room was empty and silent, yet he was sure he had heard a child crying.

?You?re beginning to scare me, Kenobi,? Obi-Wan scolded himself, his voice booming in the quiet room. The storm had stopped and the moon and stars had come out. Obi-Wan opened the blinds on his window and looked out into the city, as if searching for the wailing child.

19. SithAbigail

SithAbigail Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 6, 2000
    I like this story! It's really well written, even if Obi-Wan's a little too brood-y. Is that a word?

20. JediFinrod

Mar 4, 2000
    I love how you portray both Cali's and Obi-wan's pov. It makes the story all the more interesting! So she named her son Ben? Hmmm...

21. Amidolee

Jan 8, 2000
    I'll be gone tomorrow thru Saturday. If anyone wants to give this thread or my other one a boost sometime so they don't sink way down, I would really appreciate it

Chapter Two

A few months later . . .

The customer bell rang and Cali looked up from the datapad where she had been totaling the day?s profits and expenses. A tall, cloaked figure came in through the door. She glanced over at Hahna, who was finishing with their last customers for the day. Nanna Cook could be heard in the background, singing a Corellian tune.

?Good afternoon, Ruj,? Cali greeted the tall man as he removed his hood.

?Good afternoon, Cali-Ana,? Jedi Master Ruj greeted, striding up to the counter. ?Haven?t seen you in awhile.?

?Yes, well, I?ve been busy with other things,? Cali said.

?And how is Ben??

Cali frowned and looked down at her datapad. ?He?s got a cold right now. Nothing real serious.? She paused and bit her lip. ?How?s Obi-Wan?? She rarely asked about him, and her former Master rarely spoke of the Padawan. Ruj?s visits were brief and polite, the Jedi Master just wanting to make sure she was all right. She had never said who the father of Ben was, and he never asked. It was a silent understanding between them.

?Master Jinn and Padawan Kenobi are currently on a mission,? Ruj said. He paused and gave Cali a serious gaze. ?You know, it isn?t too late to bring Ben to the Temple. You have two weeks before they would refuse him.?

Cali shook her head. ?I might be being selfish,? she said. ?But I truly believe that Ben is not meant to be a Jedi.?

?You would still be welcomed back,? Ruj persisted. ?Jane has been at the Temple, and will probably remain there. The Council is very pleased with her abilities to associate with the initiates.?

Cali entered the day?s total into the computer behind the counter. ?I?m sorry, Ruj, but I will never return to the Temple. I have my life here and with Ben.? She hesitated, then went on. ?I will be leaving for Alderaan soon. I?ve gotten offer there by one of the theatrical producers.? She smiled sheepishly. ?Some artist came in and saw my work and heard me singing some poems I had made up when I was still at home with Ben. I guess they think they can make something out of me.? Cali shrugged at the Jedi Master. ?I might as well take a shot at it. Might be fun.?

Ruj nodded sadly. ?If that is your path to walk, then I cannot stop you. I will miss you Cali-Ana. You were like a daughter to me.?

?A daughter that ran away and got into trouble a lot,? Cali said dryly, not wanting to get emotional.

?Yes, a daughter,? Ruj said, his green eyes clouded and sad.

?Well, I did make you Ben?s godfather,? Cali said, giving Ruj a hug good-bye. ?If I?m ever in Coruscant, I might give you a ring.?

?You do that,? Ruj said before going out the door and into the drizzling rain.

22. Kenobi Maul

Kenobi Maul Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 1999
    Brilliant!

23. Amidolee

Jan 8, 2000
    Jane Jinn--actually, I did watch Eye of the Beholder before I wrote parts in this story, but it's not the stalking part. The ending in the story made me so mad! It was suppose have a happy ending! I liked the part when Eye puts that junkie in the trunk of the car and sends it going in circles in the desert! Isn't that something that Obi might do??

24. JediFinrod

Mar 4, 2000
    Oh, that was sad! I wonder if Ruj suspects who Ben's father is...

25. Amidolee

Jan 8, 2000
    What's sad? The movie or the story?

Five years later . . .

?Is it me, or is it that every time we come back here it rains?? Twenty-three years old Obi-Wan Kenobi asked Qui-Gon Jinn as they stepped off the transport and into the drizzling downpour.

Qui-Gon smiled as he put his hood up and strode towards the entrance to the Temple. Their last mission had been very stressful, along with the dozen others they had taken. They hadn?t set foot on Coruscant for a few months now, having to hop from one mission to another. Of course, he shouldn?t complain. He was the one that had suggested to the Council that the best way for Obi-Wan to get over his pain was to return to his missions.

And it seemed to have work for the most part. Obi-Wan?s dark brooding had seemed to all together disappear. He wasn?t the same young Padawan, curious and always into mischief, that he had once been. Obi-Wan was now a man and almost too mature for his age. Qui-Gon was a bit concerned, although he had always encouraged Obi-Wan to control his child-like inhibitions more. There didn?t seem to be an inch of boyish thoughts or feelings inside him, just a focused young man, more dedicated to the Order than any of the Knights. Yes, outwardly, he seemed like a quiet, confident you man, his face still young and boyish, but his eyes solemn. He seldom smiled a genuine smile.

But maybe that was just how Obi-Wan grew up, Qui-Gon amended. Maybe all of his Master?s constant drilling and teaching had formed him into the model Padawan. There were times when Qui-Gon almost wished for the spunky boy, the boy who would sometimes question Qui-Gon?s judgment.

Qui-Gon turned his head to study the shadow at his side. He had noticed that on their trip back to the Jedi Temple that Obi-Wan?s mood had grown darker and darker. Qui-Gon hoped he could convince the Council that Obi-Wan needed a vacation away from the Temple, away from the Jedi Order.

The Temple was as quiet as always. They were undisturbed as they made their way through the quiet hallways and corridors to their quarters. Qui-Gon entered their small living quarters, seeing that everything was at it had been left. Not that there was much to disturb.

?I?ll be meditating, Master,? Obi-Wan said quietly, moving towards his chamber. The door shut quietly behind the Padawan.

Qui-Gon sighed and shed his robe. Obi-Wan was slipping back into his old routine of meditating and shutting other?s out. But he was greatly surprised when Obi-Wan emerged, a funny look on his young face. He held up a datachip and tossed it to Qui-Gon, who caught it without effort.

?It?s a ticket for some space-liner,? Obi-Wan said; still looking a little confused. ?To Alderaan.?

?It appears so,? Qui-Gon said, trying not to smile. He had contacted Jedi Knight Tahl before they had landed, explaining Obi-Wan?s mood. She had said that she would get to work on the Council members to give them a break. He hadn?t expected results for at least a few days.

?You knew about this,? Obi-Wan accused. ?I know that look.?

Qui-Gon chuckled and set the chip into his datapad. ?I was going to request that we receive some down time away from the Temple. I didn?t expect anything to really come of it.? He shook his head. ?I wonder why she chose Alderaan. It?s bound to be mobbed by tourists. Unless, we went High Court and flaunted our Jedi status. The Royals would make sure to hide us.?

Obi-Wan shrugged and moved off into the small kitchen area, digging through the empty cupboards for food. Qui-Gon watched him for a moment, wondering what he thought of it. The Padawan didn?t seem disturbed or delighted by the news. The young man about gave up his search, but then he found the small pack of food bars. The Jedi Master was relieved that Obi-Wan could still have an appetite.

Obi-Wan found a stool and sat down, biting into his bar. He looked over the datapad, raising an eyebrow. ?First class tickets? Since when did we travel in style??

?Oh, we did to Telos once,? Qui-G

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.