main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Loving You From Afar (an USJS alternative ending to a 'conflict')

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Amidolee, Jun 5, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediFinrod

JediFinrod Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 4, 2000
    Oh poor Ben! I get the feeling this story is in the process of taking a sad turn.

Thanks for the long post! Any forthcoming posting moods are most welcome!

2. Amidolee

Amidolee Jedi Master star 5

Jan 8, 2000
    The labratory was silent, the only sound was the soft humming of monitors and machinery. Dr. Vixzs surveyed the various screens, his brow deeply creased, his eyes sometimes watering. He watched as two sets of midi-chlorians attacked each other and the unfortunate white-blood cell, along with the virus. He had spent hours and hours, days and nights, researching and testing, theorizing and guessing. The solution seemed to be so near, yet so far. The case of Ben Angli was so different from his other patients, yet so frighteningly familiar.

His younger brother had fallen ill at a very one age. No doctors or scientists could diagnos him, simply saying he had a cancer. No treatments had helped. Gjoey had been shipped from planet to planet. Even the Jedi Temple had taken him in. Gjoey had once been taken into the Temple nursery as an infant, but his lack of Force-potential had quickly been seen and he had been returned home.

After Gjoey?s death at age seven, Vixzs became deeply involved in the cause. He thought that maybe the midi-chlorians had some sort of effect or responsibility over the mysterious disease. He had begun a relentless educated in the medical scientists, also developing an understanding in the Jedi ways and the theories of midi-chlorians. No others had been diagnosed with the strange illness--until he met Cali-Ana Angli.

The young woman wasn?t even out of her teen years. Barely seventeen. She had come into the med center?s waiting room, her little boy cradled in her arms. The physician had simply wrote the boy off as having a regular cold or flu. A few weeks later she returned, and then again, and again. Vixzs had overheard the nurses talking about how the mother must not be taking care of the boy proper, but he had seen how much it pained the girl to have her baby prone to so many illnesses. He looked over both of their files, taking note of their midi-chlorian counts. The father had been listed unknown, not uncommon among teenager mothers. The charts indicated a repeating of syntoms as to what Gjoey had experienced.

Vixzs had then become almost obsessed with Ben Angli. The next time Cali-Ana had come in with the sick toddler, he had whisked her away, making his other patients wait. The mother had been relieved and also anxious. He then learned that the father was a Jedi Knight, but she refused to say who. He also knew that she was fully aware of her Force powers and had recieved Jedi training. They began working as a team on Ben, Cali telling him what she sensed from Ben and he giving a hypothesis. There had been many times they had thought they had the cure, but then Ben would turn up sick again. The battle would begin all over again.

The sound of the door hissing open jarred the doctor out of his thoughts. He looked up, expecting to see perhaps a nurse. A cloaked figure strode in, purposeful and self-confident. No mistaking a Jedi Knight. He sighed and rubbed his eyes, not bothering to wonder how he had managed to slip by the desks and other labs. Cali-Ana had done that several times and she was not a Jedi.

?How may I help you, Young Jedi?? the doctor asked quietly.

The young man seemed surprised by the lack of interrogation, but he wuickly got over it and gave him the look of determination. ?I need to know everything you know of Ben?s condition,? he stated clearly.

Vixzs smiled despite the sadness in his heart. ?Why would you want to know that, Jedi? Surely the boy is too old to be initated.?

?I need to know,? the Jedi Knight repeated. It was then that Vixzs recognized the Padawan braid.

?You may ask Miss Angli, the guardian and mother of the child,? he said, turning back to the monitors. The two tainted midi-chlorians had attacked and killed the white-blood cells and the untainted midis were close to their end.

?I did,? the Padawan said, the frustration seeping into his accent. ?Please, doctor, I must know.?

?And why is that?? Vixzs asked, turning his head to gaze at the man.

?Because I?m the father,? the man said, his voice low, the words

3. Amidolee

Jan 8, 2000
    I have just begun starting on the Oath sequel. Just thought ya'd like to know. Won't start posting it until probably Sunday at the earliest.

4. RogueJai

RogueJai Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 14, 2000
    Love this---much sadness.

5. Amidolee

Jan 8, 2000
    Chapter Eight

Qui-Gon found his way through the maze of immaculately sanitized hallways of the hospital. The children?s wing had a bit more color and feeling to it, but still held the aurora of the sick. He picked up his Padawan?s sense, finding a dread and fierce determination there. His thoughts were a racing blur. The Jedi Master quickened his step and soon came around a bend.

Obi-Wan stepped out from a door clearly labeled laboratory. The Padawan sensed him and looked up, not appearing to be disturbed that he had just been caught trespassing. ?Master,? he greeted, the bland tone marking the young man?s true sense.

?How bad is it?? Qui-Gon asked. Obi-Wan had filled him in that Ben was being taken to the hospital.

The blue eyes were bleak, but were also burning with that hot Jedi focus. ?I spoke with the doctor,? he said. And that was all. ?Cali?s with Ben.? Obi-Wan began walking down the hall to the private rooms. Qui-Gon followed, not liking what he was feeling. He had yet to apologize to Cali-Ana, and he had been planning to. Now the girl was having an unsettling time of it.

?Where were you?? Cali demanded as Obi-Wan came in. She looked both frantic and relieved at his presence. Then she caught sight of Qui-Gon, her face falling a little. ?Master Jinn,? she nodded.

?Cali-Ana,? Qui-Gon returned, his tone no longer cold. ?I came here to apologize for my hostility earlier.?

?Thank you,? Cali said quietly, her soft voice sincere. Obi-Wan had placed an arm around her waist, and she looked ready to collapse against him.

Qui-Gon then glanced over at the bed. The tiny body of Ben lay still and peaceful. His small chest rising in ragged breaths. The once was glowing skin a sickly gray, wet and sticky. The Jedi Master gazed in shock. Only days ago the boy had been a vibrant child, reminding him much of a younger Obi-Wan. Now he lay as still as the dead. Nice way of putting it, he admonished himself.

The door opened and a man in a white coat came in. He glanced briefly at Qui-Gon, nodded, shared a look with Obi-Wan, and then gave Cali-Ana a comforting pat on the shoulder. Hahna moved away from the bed so he could examine the boy.

?Fever is down again,? Dr. Vixzs announced after a moment. ?He is still a little dehydrated, but not so drastically. His vital senses are coming back. He should be awake soon.?

Cali gave a small sigh of relief. ?Is he going to be better or will he relapse.? Obi-Wan?s grip on her tightened slightly, and she sensed some inner pain in him.

The doctor looked at her gravely, but his eyes then shifted to Obi-Wan. ?I?m not sure.? He started for the door. ?I will be back in awhile. A nurse will be in for another dose.? With that, he left.

Obi-Wan motioned to the three chairs in the room. ?Why don?t you sit, Cal??

?Maybe. I don?t know. I don?t feel like sitting.?

?Sit.? It was a command. Cali nodded and sat down, still squeezing his hand. Obi-Wan pulled his chair right along side hers, an arm draped over her shoulders. She rested her head on his shoulder, closing her eyes as he stroked her hair. It didn?t matter that Qui-Gon and Hahna were in the room, only Obi-Wan and her son mattered. She wanted to cry, but knew she needed to stay strong.

?I?m so sorry this all happened,? Cali whispered after a few minutes.

?For what?? Obi-Wan asked, tilting her chin up to look at him.

?For leaving you, for not telling you,? she said quietly. ?And for everything else. Ben?s sickness . . . I don?t know what it is. Maybe it was because he was born premature or something, or maybe I didn?t take good enough care of him. I?m a terrible mother??

Obi-Wan placed a finger on her lips, shushing her. ?It?s nothing that you can prevent. What happened five years ago meant more to me than anything else. And you left because you had to. You are a wonderful mother to Ben, and I envy him for the time he has with you.?

Her lips formed into a small smile. ?I was a little jealous of you awhile back.?

?Why??

?That night when you were at the

6. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    Great!!!!!!

MORE!

Kithera

7. RogueJai

Apr 14, 2000
    Definitely more.

8. Amidolee

Jan 8, 2000
    Sorry about the delay. I had to pick my brother up from Donna Reed. But I'm back now

@ @ @

?Why?? Cali demanded, her hands clenched Obi-Wan?s robe. ?Why do you have to go??

?We might find a solution,? Obi-Wan said, his hands coming to rest over hers. ?It will be a week, tops.?

?I don?t want you to go!? Cali cried, her voice breaking. ?Please. Let Qui-Gon find the information, or one of the healers. Just not you!? She wrapped her arms around him.

?I?ll come back,? Obi-Wan reassured her, his hands running over her back in soothing strokes. He didn?t want to leave her either, but he would return.

?I don?t want to lose you,? she whispered.

?You won?t.?

Cali drew away from him a little, her deep eyes clouded and murky. ?Are you sure? Do you know for sure? What if something happens??

Obi-Wan smiled slightly. ?Hey?I?m a Jedi, remember? I can take care of myself.?

?I just . . . I have a bad feeling about this,? Cali said, her shoulders sagging.

?Nothing will happen,? Obi-Wan said. ?I promise.? Then he kissed her deeply, feeling her urgency and fear, her need to hold him. The shuttle was waiting for him; Qui-Gon was already inside. He had to go.

@ @ @

?Can I have a?noder ice sickle??

Cali smiled and patted Ben?s head and nodded. ?The nurse will be here with another in a minute.?

Ben grinned weakly, picking up his cup and taking a drink of water. It had been three days since Obi-Wan had left. Ben had woken up just hours after the Jedi had boarded. His recovery was quick and she was able to breathe easier now. She still slept on a cot in the room, not wanting to leave her son for a moment. Hahna went to her home and went to her part-time job, visiting when she could. The boy was returning to himself, but becoming grumpy occasionally.

One nurse had had the unfortunate timing of walking in while the boy had been exercising with his Force powers. Ben had taken in great delight as he watched the four bedpans settle over the woman?s head. He had stacked them neatly, scaring the woman into a frenzy. Needless to say, she was no longer one of the regulars for check-ups and shots.

?How are you feeling?? Cali asked Ben.

?I want a?noder ice sickle,? he said firmly. He was propped up in his bed by large pillows, still too weak to get out and walk around. The child was just bursting to get on his feet and do something. But even the process of eating was beginning to wear on him; the boy taking long naps afterward.

Even as she thought about it, Ben began to yawn and his eyes began to droop. He would be asleep before the nurse returned.

@ @ @

Healer Leona and An-Paj whispered quietly as they watched the young Jedi scan the various datacards and information that had been given to him. It had been kept quiet why Obi-Wan Kenobi and Qui-Gon Jinn were interested in any research done on midi-chlorians and healing procedures. They would be leaving tomorrow. Qui-Gon was staying, the healers had learned, but Obi-Wan was going. The Master would continue to find a solution of some sort and the Padawan would return to Alderaan.

?This is worthless,? Obi-Wan muttered, rubbing his eyes and shaking his head. ?I know everything there is to know about midi-chlorians, and still, there is nothing to help us.?

Qui-Gon glanced over at the healers, then back at Obi-Wan. ?Maybe so, maybe not. Perhaps you should rest. The equation may fall into place then. The answer may be obvious.?

?My ship leaves in fourteen hours,? Obi-Wan said. ?I?ll rest then.?

Qui-Gon sighed. ?A trip to Alderaan isn?t even half a day.?

?I?ll take a nap.?

?You are far too stubborn for your own good, Obi-Wan.?

?And you are a placid bantha?? the Padawan countered with a slight crook of his mouth.

The two healers tried not to snicker. Obi-Wan glanced at An-Paj, the blue-skinned healer. Then his gaze fell to Healer Leona, a slight amusement brought forth. It was no secret that the short woman had feelings for Qui-Gon. Leona had always been very shy around the taller and bolder Master, but O

9. RogueJai

Apr 14, 2000
    Yay! Es more!!!!

10. Amidolee

Jan 8, 2000
    I'm going to give you the rest of chap 8 now and chap 9 in the next post. that way the story will be done before the move and you all can finish it before then.

Cali stepped into the hospital, feeling fresh and revived. She had gone home and showered. She had spent a good portion of the day cleaning the apartment and making sure Ben?s room was ready to receive him. The boy had improved tremendously. He was still very weak, but she had managed to convince the doctors that he would be better off at home. The nurses had agreed readily. They were tired of dealing with a Force-sensitive boy.

And Obi-Wan was due back today. He had promised her. Obi-Wan never let back on a promise. And she didn?t want to smell like hospital and the sick when she saw him again. She had even done her hair up a little, the ends curling softly and the sheen quite blinding. She wore another wrap skirt and a loose top. Oh, how much she missed him. The past week had been arduous without him there, but she had survived. Ben was getting better and she could be with Obi-Wan again.

She took the turbolift to the children?s wing, feeling exhilarated. Ben would be waiting for her, happy to go home. She already had his favorite food in the kitchen, waiting for him. Maybe they could snuggle up on the couch and watch something off of the vid. If Obi-Wan didn?t come home tonight, maybe she could work on her screenplay.

The turbolift doors opened and she stretched out with the Force, expecting to sense Ben?s anticipation.

There was nothing. A void.

?No,? Cali said softly, shaking her head as she hurried down the hall. She turned the corridor. Far down the hall a door was open. A hoverbed was being transferred out. A group of nurses and doctors were surrounding it. She spotted Vixzs among them. ?No!? she cried, breaking into a run.

The nurses turned and Vixzs stepped towards her. ?Cali??

?BEN!? Cali shouted, her voice shrill and cracked. ?No! Oh, Force, no! Please!?

Vixzs, grabbed her arms as she tried to race by. ?I?m sorry, Cali-Ana.?

?NO!? Cali screamed, breaking his hold and racing for the bed. It couldn?t be. The Force was lying to her. ?Ben!? Vixzs let her go. She gripped the rails of the bed, her knuckles turning white. A blanket covered the small body. She reached up and pulled it down. ?You-you can?t do that,? she gasped and the nurses. ?He needs to breathe.? Ben?s eyes were closed, his face gray and peaceful. A soft smile played across his thin lips. ?Breathe, baby,? she pleaded softly. She took his hand, the warmth fading even as she held it. Her eyes fastened on his small chest, willing it to rise. ?Just breathe, baby. Breathe for mommy!?

?Cali,? Vixzs started to say, gently touching her arm.

Cali jerked her arm away. ?He needs another blanket,? she choked out, her vision blurring.

?He?s gone,? one of the nurses said softly. ?Please let go.?

?No!? she gasped, gripping her son?s hand. ?No! No, no, nonononono . . . ? Tears began to fall and gripped harder. ?Ben! Ben, wake up! You have to get up!? Firm hands clasped over hers, prying her fingers from the cold, tiny ones. She fought and kicked, vaguely aware that she was screaming, pleading, swearing. Someone was talking to her, their arms tightened around her, pinning her so she couldn?t strike out.

?Ben!? Cali wailed, her throat burning, her lungs pleading. ?NO! Let me go!?

She felt someone rub cool disinfectant on her arm and the prick of a needle. Her mind grew fuzzy and her limbs refused to cooperate. The tears flowed silently and her breathing slowly. Someone picked her up and carried her off. She was laid down on a bed and a blanket was placed over her.

?Ben . . .? she whispered before drifting off into a drugged sleep.

@ @ @

The sounds of the hospital reached her ears, but her mind did not register any distinction. The colors all blurred and she stared at nothing. The drugs inhibited her emotions and mind, causing a numbness to settle over her. She refused to think. It was easier to rem

11. Amidolee

Jan 8, 2000
    Chapter Nine

The apartment was silent. Obi-Wan Kenobi sat at the kitchen counter, sipping hot tea as he stared out the window. A quaint park was nestled in a gentle, slopping hill. Children could be seen running about, their shouts of joy were echoing hollowly in his mind. It had been four days since Ben had died. He had not had the time to about what it meant to him.

Many legitimate forms needed signing and filling out, along with funeral expenses. Cali had been in no condition to deal with such matters. Obi-Wan had dealt with them and had made it his personal duty to see that everything went smoothly and without hassle. The funeral had been yesterday. It had been small and private, consisting of Cali, Qui-Gon, Ruj, Hahna, Vixzs, and himself.

Obi-Wan?s eyes fell to the bottle of pills sitting on the counter. His jaw tightened. Cali was still taking them. Vixzs said that she could become chemically dependent on them if she wasn?t careful. Frankly, Obi-Wan would have preferred she hadn?t used them at all. He hadn?t had the time to come to crossing with his own emotions. They had been controlled. Cali should be drawing upon the Force for help and strength, not artificial chemicals. It worried him terribly.

?Morning,? Qui-Gon greeted, coming into the apartment.

?I didn?t hear you come in, Master,? Obi-Wan said quietly, taking another sip of tea.

?I was quiet about it,? the Jedi Master said, taking a seat beside his Padawan. ?Cali-Ana still asleep??

?Yes.?

Silence settled between them, a tired silence. Ruj had left after the funeral, needing to return to the Temple and his Padawan. They had not left yet, due to it not being safe for Cali to be by herself. The minutes ticked by, melding and flowing into one another. Obi-Wan had finished his tea when he heard the stirrings in the bedroom. It was a sobbing.

?Hide the pills,? Obi-Wan said, standing up. He headed for the bedroom, opening the door cautiously.

Cali was wrapped in her robe, sobbing into a pillow. He came in and shut the door behind him. ?Cal,? he whispered, sitting down on the bed. She moaned and rolled over, revealing a soaked pillow. ?Obi-Wan . . . my pills. I need my pills.?

?No,? Obi-Wan said, rubbing her back soothingly. ?You are not going to take any.?

?I have to!? Cali cried, sitting up. Her long hair fell in tangles around her face. Her eyes were red and blood-shot. ?Please . . . I need them!?

?No,? Obi-Wan said firmly. ?You don?t need them. The Force will help you, I will help you. Not those pills.?

Anger flashed in her glassy eyes. She swatted his hand away. ?You can?t treat me like a child! For Force?s sake, I had one!?

Obi-Wan grabbed her wrists, preventing another bout. There had been times when her grief had overwhelmed her and she had struck out. She was gasping as she fought his hold, another sob escaping her when she realized what she had said.

?You . . . you don?t know what it?s like,? she said quietly, her voice small and weak. ?To wake up and go into his room and find out he?s not there.?

?I don?t,? Obi-Wan agreed, not letting go of her wrists. ?But I do know what it?s like to come back from a mission and find out that you are no longer there.?

Cali nodded, biting her lip and closing her eyes. She fought back another spasm. ?Please. My pills.?

?No,? he said. ?I love you too much, Cal. You?ll end up hurting yourself if you rely on those pills.?

?I don?t care,? she said, her voice barely audible.

?Well, I do,? Obi-Wan said.

?Sith, you?re the worst,? Cali sighed, feeling as if she would faint.

?I know,? Obi-Wan said, releasing her wrists and wrapping his arms around her. Her tears came again, soaking his shoulder.

?I?m sorry,? Cali sobbed, pulling away and wiping at her eyes.

?I?m sorry for not finding a cure,? Obi-Wan said quietly, caressing her cheek, wiping away some of her tears.

Cali just nodded, then curled up on the bed, her head resting in his lap. ?Can you tell me a story. About a mission perhaps??

Obi-Wan nodded, running his hands through her hair. She

12. HealerLeona

HealerLeona Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2000
    Little Ben d...died?
    How could you do that?
    Now I'm going to be depressed the rest of the day, not to mention I can't stop crying.

13. JediFinrod

JediFinrod Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 4, 2000
    I'm depressed now too! It was a great story and everything, but I hate it when the cute little kid dies! Wonderful work, Amidolee! I understand that not all stories can have a sunshiny mush ending. (Oh, but I hope your sequel has one! )

14. Amidolee

Jan 8, 2000
    I'm working on Chap 2 on the oath sequel. I'll start posting it after the move.

15. Kenobi Maul

Kenobi Maul Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 1999
    That's it? God, that's depressing. It's beautiful, though.

16. Jedi Master Mara Jade

Jedi Master Mara Jade Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 1999
    Oh.......

That was *incredible*, Amidolee! At least the best story I've read in the last month...

Wow.

(Oh, but not all the posts are here! Some got cut off! Do you have the address to the Old Afar? Also, where in the USJS does it fit in... (which thread? Which page?))

Again, all I can say is "Wow." So good!

17. The Musical Jedi

The Musical Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 13, 1999
    Ummmm, JMMJ, I believe that the dance was the tail end of the first thread, and the second thread. Here are the addresses. Your guess is as good as mine on what pages, though.

Original USJS: http://www.theforce.net/forum/Forum16/HTML/000010.html

Continuing Saga USJS: http://www.theforce.net/forum/Forum16/HTML/000638.html

If the Continuing Saga doesn't want to come up (it seems to hate me when I try) add a -2 to 000638 and then try. Best of luck! And come see us in Part III! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.