main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania Low and behold...

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Kartanym, May 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    LucasFilm finally cracks under the 'pressure'. Though I get the feeling this was the plan all along, by September you will get to view both the 2004 DVD editions of the Star Wars trilogy AND the original, uncut, unedited, noSEstuff, Star Wars trilogy. That's right, all of you who still believe Greedo is king will finally discover the TRUTH!!

*cough* Anyway Linkage as proof, in case you don't believe me or haven't heard as yet. No box set announced, just individual 2 disc sets for each movie, possibly priced lower then the current RRP of Episode III, by the looks of that announcement. Expect this on or around the same day as the US, that being September 12th.

So, anyone else not at all surprised at this announcement? Sithy, I'm looking at you :p lol

2. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    So if you were to buy this pack of dvds you end up with a second copy of the most recent versions (assuming you already have the trillogy on dvd).

What sort of advertising strategy is that?

3. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    It's called the 'making money' strategy ;)

4. Sith Magician

Sith Magician Jedi Master star 5

Sep 14, 1999
    I already have the unspoilt OT on DVD, but it would be nice to have them cleaned to the SE DVD standard.

the only question I have is where can fans who bought the DVD set last year, under the belief it was the only release that would be made and the originals never to be released, obtain a refund?

5. milney

milney Jedi Master star 5

Aug 21, 2003
    It's spelt "Lo and Behold".

This move proves two things:

1. Certain groups of fans make enough noise to have the marketing department of LFL cosider the amount of money that could be made off a DVD re-re-release.

2. You can't please everyone.

I loved watching the films when I was young, I lve the DVD's (although I'm still not totally in love with Hayden at the end of ep 6, despite understanding why it's there).

I wouldn't go and buy this though. I've got both versions of the film already.

No chance for a refund though.

6. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    Actually Milney, my friend .. low is the correct spelling in regards to how I presented the post itself ;) get it?

Based on that link right there, it's possible some new behind the scenes features could also be included with each set. Since I, too, have the originals I'm not very interested in this, but it all depends on the final package. If it's cheap enough with extra incentive, there's no reason why it shouldn't be completly overlooked.

7. milney

Aug 21, 2003
    Hook line and sinker. The pun on 'low' was in itself 'low. :p

8. lordvaderFF

lordvaderFF Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    WEll, I'm annoyed.

Back in 1999 I was told (by someone at Lucasfilm) that there were NO COPIES of the original Trilogy left anymore, after the Special editions were released, George had all copies of the original destroyed, that's how unhappy he was with them.

THEY LIED.

I'll never trust a big corporation again...I'm shattered. :)

Glad to see they have actually listened to the fans for once.

Next come the Ep1,2,& 3 box sets, then the Ep1,2,3,4,5,&6 box sets.

Then the Ep1,2,3,4,5,6 & clone wars annimated series combined sets.

Then the Ep1,2,3,4,5,6, clone wars and Ewoks Cartoons series combined.

Then comes................you get the picture. :)

9. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    Does anyone else feel as I do that the people who have been waiting for this were duped into buying the last set after being lied to that it was never going to be released in it's original format on DVD?

10. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    No more. I'm waiting on a boxed I-II-III set, and then that's it. I've got the OT silver-boxy-kinda-thingy, and I've still got my faithful 'last edition' videos before the SE, so that's enough for me. Frigging Lucasfilm. [face_plain]

11. milney

Aug 21, 2003
    Sith, you're not the only one.

It almost seems like the marketing gurus are saying "screw the fanboys".

12. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2005
    Screw it- I'd love to own both.

Of course you're going to get crucified for either releasing it or not releasing it.

Obviously Lucas had made his choice- and gave in the the barrage of pressure and gave people what they wanted.

Geez- if you care about a piddly change then you can sell your Boxset and buy the others

Be warned they will be in 2.0 sound too.

13. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

May 23, 2005
    Besides- a press release states that they will be attractively priced- making things more balanced for the fans who plan to ditch or sell their existing dvd set.

What more can they do??? give free copies away?

If you want the Originals- shut up!!- your prayers have been answered, dammit!!!

14. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    Johnnage, the point you are missing with far less accuracy than a Stormtrooper trying to shoot his own foot is that we were lied to.

I am not angry at them for releasing the originals now, I'm angry at them for stating two years ago that they would never release them while they were pushing the latest release in the market.

We were told in 1995 that the originals would never again be released, and this has been the case right up to the release of the last box set with Lucas saying it would never happen and that "The originals are out there on VHS, if anyone wants them."

Plus many other instances of Lucas and employees of LFL stating they would never be released again in their original format.

How many people, who would have waited for the originals to be released, do you think bought that last set based on these comments?

Yes, we have been given what we want, but we were told lies to start with in order to sell the last release.

How about not packaging it with the Special Editions, driving up the price? What about an option for people to just obtain the discs who can prove they bought the last release at a much cheaper price without all the fancy packaging?

In any event, we were lied to and the marketing experts found another way to sell the same films yet again.

This is ok with you? You're ok with accepting that marketing aproach and having been sold an inferior (in mine, and many other's POV) product only to be told you can now have what you wanted, but after you already paid for it and now you must pay again?

If you don't have a problem with that unethical business practice, that's your own business, but you have no right to try and ridicule those of us who give a damn about small things like ethics and truth.

For those who do care about how LFL has treated it's loyal fan base, they can be written to at this address:

Lucasfilm Ltd.
    P.O. Box 29901
    San Francisco
    California

15. mauls-menace

mauls-menace Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    I agree not packaging the originals with the SE would be much betterand cheaper, not just for us but for Lucasfilm/Fox as well. Most people already own the SE.

16. Detonating-Rabbit

Detonating-Rabbit Jedi Knight star 5

May 23, 2003
    Had I been slightly more astute, I would have said then (when the latest box sets were released...no, not the latest ones, but the ones before those) I would have said that I wouldn't have put it past Lucas and all them to do this now. [face_plain]

17. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    People lie, it is a part of life.

It is also called marketing strategy and money making (albiet done very poorly).

So unless you plan to do something about changing it, which given the complete postage address, I would take it you do plan to take action.

"Keep your concentration here and now where it belongs"

18. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    Ah ok, so that totally excuses it then.

19. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    Yes actually, it does. Business is business. You can't hide from that fact. I mean, how many times have you already seen distributor's re-release DVD's? They've had at least three versions of Terminator 2. As has Donnie Darko (the third, a 3 disc set, comes out soon).

As much as we can argue over how pathetic this has been handled, especially by Lucas himself, we should all have known that despite what they said over time, it was still going to happen eventually. Just as Lucas would create a prequel trilogy. Just as Indy 4 would see the light of day.

20. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    I once disagreed with a friend who described Star Wars fans as abused children. Always getting slapped around and mistreated by Uncle George but always going back for more, saying how much they loved him and not allowing anyone else who knew better to speak a word of wrong against him.

Turned out he was dead right.

I have never known another demographic so willing to roll over and be raped in the wallet time and again as this one.

I don't believe that any of you who are saying this business practice is acceptable truly believes it.

21. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    I'm saying it's business. That doesn't mean I agree with it, nor that I'll be buying this set upon release.

22. Detonating-Rabbit

Detonating-Rabbit Jedi Knight star 5

May 23, 2003

23. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    If DVD had come out before the Special editions then the arguments were different. Remember we didn't even get the special editions on DVD till last year. Lucas was producing the first three. He could have committed money to the original .

Remember it was the OT that gave him the technology for the first three. And yes he made the SE as the movie the way he wanted it.

But there were enough purists and to be honest enough people that wanted to share the movies with their kids the way they were meant to.

Remember everyones VCR tapes from the original ones are well over ten years old. They probably aren't in the best condition. So with DVD originals we have two copies to choose from. But more importantly the new generation and the next for that matters get to see what we saw as children. To experience the pure joy of the movies as we did. Some say unadulerated but for me and alot my age its about reliving that time when we were kids and the beauty of what we saw and experienced. Its like a time capsule that isnt dead for us. Instead of giving us a new edition or new scenes he is giving us simply the time capsule of good memories for our generation.

24. starfire-phoenix

starfire-phoenix Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 2, 2004
    As bad as the effects are in the originals, I still love them because I grew up with them. I treasure my vcr copies, and I'm glad it's being released on dvd :)

25. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

May 23, 2005

You aren't one of those guys who wear T-shirts saying George Lucas Raped my Childhood are you?

Seriously- I don't see the problem with paying $50 for the original version. It's not going to kill me.

And if your fandom is so intense that you feel like George Lucas is the Bad Father that never came to your Basketball games then it's time to tone it down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.