main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania Low and behold...

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Kartanym, May 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarvinTheMartian

MarvinTheMartian Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2002
    SM, just be a good boy and do as Unca George says :)

2. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2005
    It was going to happen.

If you had any doubts you could have held out until the 2007 saga box release.

That's all I can say.

Can I ask S_M are you going to buy the dvd's?

3. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    John-o, I think what rankles is that what Uncle George has done is similar to bed salesmen that I've encountered: they assure you that you're getting "the best possible deal" on Thursday when they sell you a bed for X amount of dollars, and next Tuesday you find out that the statewide 40% off sale on all beds has just kicked in.

The difference between the bed salesman and Uncle George is this. The bed salesman is making maybe an extra $500 dollars on his commission for the year. Uncle George is making millions off this 'backdown' (to be kind) or 'lie' (to not be so kind). Lucasfilm would routinely go on record to say that the original versions would never be released again; in fact the packaging for my 'last edition' VHSes of the OT says as much.

So, yes, it's business, but it's dishonest. Period.

[image=http://www.ww2incolor.com/gallery/albums/germans/german_flamethrower_in_use_23_03_05.jpg]

:D

4. Sith Magician

Sith Magician Jedi Master star 5

Sep 14, 1999
    Oh for the love of...

Look, go take a look at that link you posted again, where it clearly says two disc sets.

No, as a Star Wars fan, I want the original versions.

I'll say it once more. I already own the SE's after being told that was the only release, otherwise I would have waited for this set.

Read the link you posted again.

I don't hate them, I would much prefer the originals however.

Do I honestly need to explain again that we were told that was the only way to own them on DVD and that's why I bought them instead of waiting for this set he denied would ever come out?

I'd like to borrow your crystal ball and lie detector sometime.

Never said evil, never said lord and master either.

Ok, I'll get the finger puppets, someone else draw the diagram here.

Listen very carefully Johnnage:

He said they would never be released, that we'd all better be good consumers and rush out between September and December '04 and buy up the only way we'll ever have the Original trilogy on DVD, stupid floating droids and all.

Had he released the originals this time on their own, I would go buy them. But packaging them in with the special editions is the spit in the face, seeing as most of us already own them and some of us only bought them because we were led to believe that was the only way to own the original trilogy on DVD.

Am I getting through now? Do you comprehend? Do I have to explain it in smaller words? More colourful finger puppets?

And thanks for the analogy there SaintHeart, very well put.

As for am I going to buy them? There was a small possibility, until I read that press release a little more carefully and saw the originals are actually packaged on the bonus disc as "bonus features".

I'm guessing this will mean that so long as it's not the focus of the release, then there won't be original poster covers, picture discs, that sort of thing. Which puts the only incentive I can think of to own the official copies, a nice retro style box, off the list.

So screw it. Lucas has had his last lot of money off me.

5. Detonating-Rabbit

Detonating-Rabbit Jedi Knight star 5

May 23, 2003
    I thought I explained what you meant kinda well... [face_worried]

6. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Watch it sport. One more like that and I'm dusting off my ban saber, mmkay?

E_S

7. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    :rolleyes:

Hypocrite.

8. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Sith, I don't cross the line like you just did then. I also don't ban people without a damned good reason. You got your warning. You can either accept it like an adult and learn from it, or like a petulant child and sulk about it; that part is entirely up to you.

If you think you're being unfairly treated by having your flames edited and a warning issued, please feel free to file a complaint with one of the site's Admins; DarthSapient, rhonderoo or gabe.

E_S

EDIT: Nice edit. You just keep pushing, see how far it gets you.

9. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    And that's exactly what I'm talking about. You're the most insulting person here.

10. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I'm insulting by giving you a choice of two options that you can take from here on in? :confused:

How does that work? It's like insulting you in the future? :confused:

E_S

11. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

May 23, 2005
    It's okay- I'm not clinically fit- and don't worry Ender- I'm not trhe kind to get offended.

I understand everything you're saying Sithy, but What I'm saying is that nothing has changed, or taken a turn for the worst.

Whether you believe it was an act of dishonest business, a marketing ploy, an change of heart, or the equivalent of Mickey Mouse wearing a Nazi uniform- I fail to see how this is any different from anything we've seen from Star Wars on home video since 1993 or even 1982 or whenever it was released on VHS/laserdisc originally.

Why is everyone surprised? No I don't have a Crystal Ball, or a highly modified DeLorean with a Flux capacitor. I don't een have one of those "8 balls" that you shake up.

If I intended to own the original Trilogy on dvd I would have either:

A) done what Sith Magician and many others did, buy copying their existing VHS copies to a DVD disc in the meantime.

B) Purchased the SE: editions to tide me over in the meantime

C) Remained a bitter and twisted Mr. Wilson type and boycotted the DVD, keeping the old VHS versions

D) Held out at least until 2007 for the saga boxset in case the Original theatrical versions were released (which funnily enough is the case).

"I'm not a smart man.... but I know who George Lucas is..."
    [image=http://www.dobhran.com/images/forrestgump3.jpg]

12. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    I guess, much in the same way i was asking Johnnage a question, not saying that was how it was.

13. Detonating-Rabbit

May 23, 2003
    Hmph... [face_plain]

In comparison to the masturbation discussion going on in the JCC, this is nothing. It seems somewhat ironic that when there are rules - such as the whole "PG" or "Youngin' friendly" rule, or the "Don't flame others" rule - people's interpretations (mods in particular) of what is correct and incorrect is completetly interpreted according to some sort of subjectivity, rather than any strict following of the TOS...

It's a joke.

[/random gripe about above-mentioned hypocracy]

14. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

May 23, 2005
    I'm with S_M, Ender-

He's not insulting me- it's playful banter.

I like our conversations/arguements- there's no malice or hatred going on.

Ban me if you like because you're being a ****er.

15. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    I know what you're talking about Johnnage, having been on the opposite end to Sith in the 'Did Boba Fett die' thread.

Those were the days ;)

16. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

May 23, 2005
    Indeed It's all interesting conversation.

Hey- arguements are fun too!- But I'm not out to waste anyone!

17. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Rabbit, this isn't subjective. There's a line, and yep I used to push it much more than I do now. Guess what happened if I went over it? I got edits, warnings, and in one case, a ban.

In this case, SM didn't push the line. There wasn't one of those things which isn't a TOS violation but is still just in some unquantifiable way, uncool. It wasn't even just a bad attitude thing that could be explained. It was a mild flame. Which is an outright, black and white, flame. Which, incidently, entails a ban. Which I didn't hand out.

I instead asked him to watch the flames against Johnnage. Not to change his position. Not to be nice. Not even to stop making sarcastic jabs; to stop making direct, inflammatory personal remarks. The only response that was needed was, "OK, fair enough".

In any event, you think I was being subjective and picking on SM, then go to an Admin and file a complaint.

E_S

18. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

May 23, 2005
    No- you weren't picking on him. (jeez who would want to???)

I think the reaction came around because it didn't really seem like a flammage on johnnage. [face_beatup]

It's just the nature of writing.

19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Johannge, it's like the arguments for why people can't use socks to flame each other, even if it's a joke, or why we don't have a Phatooine style Fight Club. TOS says "no", it's a no, and users can't override that by mutual consent. The fact I didn't ban him should indicate I don't take it seriously and only want him to tone it back.

Which of course justified the response it got...

In any event, I asked an Admin to review the decision back when I made it, and they agreed what was there was flaming.

I don't mind playful banter, Johnnage, I use it all the time. This was flaming, and it's a pretty clear TOS violation. All Sithy got was a request to tone it back. He didn't get a ban. He didn't get his entire post edited out. He got a warning.

E_S

20. Detonating-Rabbit

May 23, 2003
    No; as much as my response may have been against you "warning" Sith about a ban, it was also against pretty much any power-weilding moderator or chapter rep that I have come across. So, not everyone falls under that category, but a large enough number do. And, so why would I put my faith in another mod? Well, I wouldn't.

Nor would I go to any trouble to upset the balance/disturb the peace.

It's merely a light observation. It's just how it is.

21. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

May 23, 2005
    [image=http://www.hotflick.net/flicks/1997_Starship_Troopers/Thumb/997STS_Clancy_Brown_002.jpg]

It IS the TOS, but in that case it was like threatening to put a kid in detention for saying "bum" instead of "bottom".

But hey- you're the boss.

22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    o_O

No, Johnnage, this isn't like saying "bum" vs "bottom". It's like saying "you're an idiot" when you meant to say, "your idea is idiotic".

(I should have just banned him, this is more than enough teh drama for a ban :p)

E_S

23. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

May 23, 2005
    Could you ban me for a while man?

When I get back i'd seem so James Dean and B'dass! :cool:

24. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

May 23, 2005
    Should I do something ban-worthy?

www.leekspin.com

25. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yes, but I could just ignore you and pass you off to someone else to ban which would create untold amounts of drama from everyone in this thread as accusations of "hypocrisy", "powah-abuses" and whatnot are thrown about along with the rage and the anger and the screaming and the wa-hey!

E_S

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.