Lit LTTP: Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor (may include spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by desh, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Darth_Calgmoth Force Ghost

star 2
    That's a possibility, but the way Geptun and Luke talked about the whole thing in the end strongly implies that the whole Luke POV is strongly distorted by Geptun's 'interpretation of events' as well. Luke is supposed to be the hero of this 'story', despite the fact that he did not feel or think he behaved all that 'heroic'.

The brilliant (or interesting) aspect of this novel is the thing that we can't be sure if or what happened 'for real', and it's actually interesting to find out what real Luke really did in the novel, and what stuff clearly comes completely from Geptun. And it's not only Luke we talking about here, it's also the whole stuff about Cronal's POV, and anybody else's. What we have here is really a holodrama script turned into a novel.
  2. instantdeath Force Ghost

star 5
    Luke didn't feel he was the hero, IMO, because his actions directly led to the deaths of thousands of Imperials (it was thousands, wasn't it? Been awhile, and I don't have the book with me to check). He wanted Geptun to investigate him, to decide if his actions are worthy of punishment. Which is of course why he's so angry when the man decides to write a holothriller about it.

Oh wait, a relevant bit is available on amazon preview.

"Verisimilitude? I did not defeat Kar Vastor in single combat- I didn't even fight him. He was terrified, and confused, and aside from one, well, bite, he just ran away. I didn't cut off his arms with my lightsaber, and I don't even know what a vibroshield is."
    "I did take some liberties," Geptun said. "Call it artistic license."

To me, that says that the "investigation" that Luke is so angry about is not the novel itself, but an exaggeration of the novel. At the very least, from the way Luke describes it, we know the encounter with Kar Vastor is true as written. I think the main counter to that is Geptun saying that he "likes his little astro mech droid", and that he thinks he'll end the story with him, which is of course how the book itself ended too.

Nonetheless, I think the events depicted in Shadows of Mindor can be interpreted as fairly accurate, at the last. Some of the narration may indeed be embellishing- I think Luke say's "take me to your leader" and a few other one liners at different points, in a very self-aware way- but I was definitely left with the impression at the end that Geptun did not intend to be particularly faithful to the original events.
  3. Iron_lord Chosen One

star 6
    I love that phrase: "If it's not too much of a cliche, take me to your leader. If it is too much of a cliche, take me anyway." Hilarious.
    jackg1 and Master_Keralys like this.
  4. mbruno Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    Probably a dumb question, but what does the LTTP in the topic title mean?
  5. Gorefiend Chosen One

star 5
  6. desh Jedi Youngling

I thought this as well, but as instantdeath points out, Luke tells Geptun to take things out of his "holodrama" that never happened, like Luke's encounter with Kar.
  7. Zorrixor Chosen One

star 6
    Ohhh... And here I was thinking it stood for A Luke to the Past. :p
    Last edited by Zorrixor, Sep 8, 2012
    Zeta1127, RC-1991 and Gorefiend like this.
  8. Amphimachus Jedi Master

It's been a little while since I read this book, but at the time I'd only read the NJO and Legacy of the Force series's. I knew I was missing out on a ton of references but that just gave me more incentive to catch up on the novels from this era. I must say, this book has the best description of Lando's wardrobe ever, I almost died laughing when I read about Ackbar drawing the line at an opera cape on a uniform. I also like how it leaves what happens to a bunch of characters open at the end, it reminds you that the EU is a big place and not everyone's plot lines have to wrap up at the end of every book.
  9. dp4m Chosen One

star 9
    Everyone forgot the second best part of the novel (besides the novel, of course): ME!
    Arawn_Fenn and RC-1991 like this.
  10. Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Perhaps Geptun and Luke were arguing about a working draft. We, the readers, read the finished version. So maybe Geptun decided to edit out the vibroshield battle at Luke's request. ;)
    Last edited by Rogue_Follower, Sep 9, 2012
  11. instantdeath Force Ghost

star 5
    The novel still very much goes against Geptun's original wishes for the project, though. Unless Luke really, really jerked him around. Worth nothing that Luke didn't actually tell him to take out the lightsaber fight :)
  12. mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    wasn't this the story that had luke resign from the New Republic military?
  13. CT-867-5309 Force Ghost

star 5
    What exactly did people find "out there" about it?
  14. Robimus Force Ghost

star 5
    Perhaps that the villian spent the whole story in a box?
  15. CT-867-5309 Force Ghost

star 5
    lol, I never considered that strange in the slightest.

I see how others could, though.
  16. madmanslitany Force Ghost

I'm even later to the party than the TS, but I read this recently after a long, long hiatus from the EU, and I'm so glad I did. I ditched the EU early in the NJO, and reading Shadows of Mindor brought a flood of nostalgia for the X-wing series and other Bantam Era books rushing back. Chapter 5, the one where in short order, Han, Leia, Wedge with Rogue Squadron, and then Lando with the Mandalorians mobilize to save Luke sent shivers down my spine.

The Battle of Mindor itself, while slightly hard to follow at times, is up there with Mon Remonda's hunt for the Iron Fist as my favorite protracted military struggle in the EU. It's just such a convincingly brutal, drawn-out slugfest between the RRTF and Shadowspan's TIE forces. It's also an interesting role reversal that highlights the fact that the Rebels are now the New Republic. All the capital ships on the board are with the RRTF or its reinforcements, a stark reversal from say, the Battle of Hoth.

The holothrillers are a nice touch too, and I liked the in-universe examination of Luke Skywalker's status as The Hero for the galaxy at large. Again, sort of an interesting thematic reversal of Palpatine/Darth Sidious, with Colonel Geptun at the end trying to first get himself rich, but also foster a lasting, healthy image for Skywalker.
    Gorefiend and HWK-290 like this.
  17. Dr. Steve Brule Force Ghost

star 4
    It was a good book, but I honestly wish it had entirely been the script for Geptun's propaganda movie, just to see things get really out there.
    Frank T. likes this.
  18. JediMatteus Force Ghost

star 4
    yeah to me "Mindor" is a great novel. I don't see how it can be underwhelming though if you hype something up enough it may seem that way to a new reader of the material