main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Provo LTUE in Provo this week!!

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by MiaTieska, Feb 14, 2005.

1. MiaTieska

MiaTieska Jedi Master star 4

Jan 3, 2003
    Hey everybody, it's time for LTUE again!

For those who don't know, LTUE stands for Life, the Universe, & Everything and is an annual sci-fi & fantasy symposium at BYU. This year, it's being held from 9 am-7 pm this Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, February 17-19.

There are panels, workshops, presentations, and fun activities all having to do with SF! It's our own little geek haven right here in Happy Valley. ;) It's all held on the third floor of the Wilkinson Student Center on BYU campus (except for two special events held off-campus). We kick off with an opening reception/gala at the Orem Barnes & Noble at 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday the 16th.

There are six tracks which we use to help organize events better. They are Writing, Art, Media, Games, Academic, and CYOW (Create Your Own World). Feel free to attend any number of events in any tracks that you like. :)

Guests of Honor this year are:
    Jerry Pournelle (Grand Master of Science Fiction)
    L. E. Modesitt, Jr. (prolific Science Fiction & Fantasy author)
    Michael R. Collings (poet and bibliographer)
    David Howard ("Galaxy Quest" story and screenwriter (Feb. 17-18 ONLY))

Special Guests include Dave Wolverton/David Farland, Howard Tayler (of Schlock Mercenary), Robert J. Defendi, etc.

LTUE is free (only exception noted below), we just ask that you register once in room 3228 sometime during your visit so that we can track attendance. You can attend one panel or come just one day or all three days if you want!

We have special activities each night. On Thursday from 7-9 pm, we have Storytelling Night and the I-SCI-FI broadcast. On Friday from 8-10 pm we have a Contra Dance, and on Saturday from 4-6 there will be booksignings in the bookstore by GOH's and special guests.

Saturday night at 7 pm we have a fantasy banquet. This is the only event for which money is charged. Tickets are needed so we don't run out of available seats, so you want to buy one early. Tickets and directions can be obtained in the registration room (3228 WSC). The banquet is held off-campus at the "Apple Chapel," or the LDS chapel on Apple Avenue & 1200 N, just a few blocks east of campus. Costumes are optional for the banquet (yay costumes!) and Tri-Destiny will be performing during some of the time.

A complete schedule of events and more detailed information can be found at http://ltue.byu.edu . :)

Any questions, just ask! I'm co-chair this year (eep) and everyone has worked so hard to make this an awesome LTUE! It's going to be awesome and so much fun! Please come! :D

(Edited cause I kept forgetting stuff.)

2. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    Thanks for the announcement. :)

This would be good for a mini-Provo FanForce activity, I think. I have panels at 4 On Thurs, 6 on Fri, and 3 on Sat, and other than the banguet, I'm free any time. If anyone would like to meet up during this, lemme know. :)

Dana

3. AllenReturns

AllenReturns Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 14, 2004
    Yeah Im a little late here but I was a speaker this year too :) Me and a few other people did a seminar on historically accurate swords and swordsmanship. It was fun and brought out some...interesting people :)