main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LTUE panelists needed

Discussion in 'Archive: Salt Lake City, UT' started by MiaTieska, Jan 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MiaTieska

MiaTieska Jedi Master star 4

Jan 3, 2003
    Hi everyone, Dana and I are in charge of the media track for LTUE this year. In case you don't know, LTUE stands for Life, the Universe, and Everything, and it's a science fiction & fantasy symposium at BYU. A symposium is pretty much a more "academic" (read: tame) con, and since it's at BYU it's guaranteed to be family-friendly. Best of all, it's free! :D

And last but not least, Star Wars authors Kevin J. Anderson and his wife Rebecca Moesta are Guests of Honor this year. LTUE runs from Feb. 16-18 (Thu.-Sat.) at BYU from around 9 am - 9 pm each day. No registration is required though we do ask for your name to keep track of numbers. For more info, you can go to http://www.ltue.org.

What we're looking for (besides attendees ;)) are volunteers to be on panels for the media track. The media track covers the media side of SF -- movies, television, media, etc. It doesn't take much to be a panelist, just have an in-depth knowledge of the subject you're volunteering for.

If you're interested at all in being a panelist on any of these, please, PLEASE let us know; we've had very few volunteers this year and are running out of time. Many of you have attended and/or helped out at LTUE in the past and we'd love to see you again. You can PM me or DantanaSkywalker or email me at mayflowers701@yahoo.com . Along with what you're interested in being on, please let us know when you'll be available during the symposium dates to be on a panel.

Thanks!

The Future Of Star Wars: Discussion of the two upcoming Star Wars television shows, one animated and one live action.

Harry Potter: Discussion of the fourth movie and/or filming of the fifth movie.

Chronicles of Narnia: Discussion of the movie release, and fantasy mixed with religion.

Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis: Where is the franchise headed? General discussion on where the series are now, and will there be more spin-offs or will Stargate wear itself out too quickly?

Upcoming Sequels: Is Hollywood getting better at sequels? To discuss: Batman Begins sequel, Harry Potter series, X3, Superman movie, Spiderman 3, Pirates of the Caribbean 2 and 3, rumored X-Files movie, etc.

The Last Year in Review: A look at the last year of sci-fi movies (War of the Worlds, Star Wars, Serenity, Fantastic Four, Hitchhiker's Guide, Batman Begins, Harry Potter 4, Chronicles of Narnia, etc.). Has there been a rise in the popularity of sci-fi and fantasy? Is it becoming cool to be a "geek"?

The Return of Superman: Discussion of the upcoming movie, Smallville, and Superman's return to the top spot in comics. And at DC Comics, there is a mega event going on called Infinite Crisis, which will reshape Wonder Woman, Batman, and Superman for years to come.

Joss Whedon's Worlds: Emphasis on Firefly/Serenity as his current, most recent project, and the upcoming Wonder Woman movie in 2007, but also including discussion on Buffy, Angel, X-Men comics, FRAY comics, etc.

Adapting Books to TV/Movies and Vice Versa: Novelizations, tie-ins, and adapting novels to the big screen, such as Beowulf, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Star Wars, X-Files, etc.

Comic Books and Media (crossover with art): All of the comic books being made into movies/TV series, and especially movies/TV series spawning comic books, such as X-Files, Firefly/Serenity, X-Men, Batman, Fantastic 4, Superman, etc.

Podcasting: What kind of SF/F content there is, how to listen, how to do it yourself, whatever Science Fiction and Fantasy Audio - where it's been and where it's going (audiobooks and audio drama), anything else audio related.

Popular Anime: What anime is popular right now? How can you find it?

Family Anime: A panel for all those looking for some family-friendly anime.

Costuming: Come learn some how-to's on authentic, but affordable costuming.

Fannish Pursuits: Different ways in which fans express their love of fandoms: fan fictio

2. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    Questions... which days are the 16-18th?

And... well, I'm a costumer. But I don't know right off-hand if I could participate in the costuming panel. Kinda wary (read: scared), and... well... if you can get me to drive to BYU voluntarily, then you've accomplished something great. [face_laugh] ;)

Have to admit, never been to LTUE before, but I've heard it's good.

Talk to me. :D

3. MiaTieska

Jan 3, 2003
    The 16-18 is Thursday-Saturday. And the next Monday is President's Day so it's like one big fun holiday weekend. ;)

I think I have enough volunteers for the costuming panel, but you are still more than welcome to help out if we end up needing someone. And you are very more than welcome to come to LTUE. :D

LTUE's fun, I love it. It's laidback, family-friendly, the Cougareat is right downstairs whenever you're hungry, and there's plenty to do. :) Utah fans unite and come out of the woodwork.

And of course, if you'd like practice being on a panel for next year...well, who am I to deny that? ;) [face_whistling] Seriously, please do come!

-Mia

4. ondiv

ondiv Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 18, 2002
    KJA is coming so I'll be there!! I have a *few* books for him to sign ;)

5. MiaTieska

Jan 3, 2003
    Hehehe so do I. ;) And lots of questions!

OH!! And also, Dave Wolverton is coming. Got a few books for him too. :D

-Mia

6. AllenReturns

AllenReturns Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 14, 2004
    LTUE is a nifty little gathering...I spoke at it last year with a few other guys from The Association for Renaissance Martial Arts. We spent the block basically dispelling all the major myths and misconceptions about accurate swordplay that seem to dominate the fantasy camps. I've since moved, but you might want to get in thought with the Provo chapter of ARMA to speak again. Everyone likes sharp steel objects at these things! ;)

http://www.thearma.org/

7. ondiv

Nov 18, 2002
    *gasp* :eek:

It's Allen!!!

8. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    hmmmm... well, I might swing down then. I wouldn't be a good addition to any of the other panels, though. Sounds like my kind of crowd, but I have to admit, I'm a Dragon*Con kind of girl, and the BYU crowd is usually... er... um... too... Mormon? Dunno how else to put that. [face_laugh] Still, though, I could use a good dose of geekdom. :D

9. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    Well, obviously, there isn't any alcohol or smoking allowed on campus, and you have to keep your clothes on :p but you dont' have to be on campus allll the time. ;)

Dana

10. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Wait, Dave WOLVERTON is coming?!

11. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    LOL!!! [face_laugh] Well, yeah, I knew that. [face_blush]

12. ondiv

Nov 18, 2002
    so should we like host an off campus room party ;) [face_laugh]

13. frio_carr

frio_carr Jedi Youngling star 3

May 25, 2002
    you remember what happened last time you went to an off campus party?

don't want them to boot your car again, do you?

--- sig ---

Early: "I only hurt people because they keep getting in the way of me
    finding you." (to Simon): "Tell her."

Simon: "What am I? Your advocate?"

Early: (aiming his gun) "You are now."

Simon: "He's really very... gentle... and fuzzy. We're becoming fast
    friends."

14. ondiv

Nov 18, 2002
    That is right!! I had forgotten! teeehee...and you slept through the whole thing!

15. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    If anyone's interested, my basement living room FINALLY has some furniture (not like the vaguely odd activity where we sat around on the floor the entire time or when I got a visit from the stake president and the bishop and one was on the fireplace hearth and one was on a trampoline). I'm so excited for this, especially being on a panel for the first time!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.