main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lucas being very careful in releasing AOTC DVD...THIS TIME

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by hawk, Aug 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    Remember all the hoopla surrounding TPM on DVD. Fans left right and centre complained about TPM getting a VHS release then the slow release of the DVD. It was obviously due to money-making. We were all furious at Lucas for trying to sqeeze every dollar from our pockets. Now, he seems to have felt a tad guilty? AOTC DVD is already being advertised and the film is still screening! The official site gives a huge run down of everything avaliable on the DVD. Surely this is Lucas saying "sorry about TPM DVD crap, it won't happen this time".

Doesn't this example finally prove that the slow release of TPM DVD was not necessary (as many dellusioned suggested). If it were necessary to take THAT long to release the DVD that time, why is the AOTC's DVD already in the pipeline? It's almost ready to go. Seems like this is perfect evidence to prove how dodgy the events of last year were.

On a side note, I really liked AOTC and I DO have respect for Lucas however, sometimes all this merchandising manipulation is a bit suspect. Sure we have a choice but so do drug users. Doesn't mean dealers are innocent. (not that I am saying Lucas is anywhere near as bad as a drug dealer - before someone jumps down my throat)

2. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    "Doesn't this example finally prove that the slow release of TPM DVD was not necessary (as many dellusioned suggested). If it were necessary to take THAT long to release the DVD that time, why is the AOTC's DVD already in the pipeline?"

They have been working on the AOTC DVD for around a year. This was stated at Celebration 2. For TPM, they didn't even start working on the DVD until well after the film was released.

3. Alec_Guinness

Alec_Guinness Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 16, 2002
    Yes, I agree completely 100 percent YodaJeff.

And what do u mean so do drug users?
    And dealers are bastards that are not innocent at all.

And Lucas is not being too carefull, squezzing out every dollar he can get by releasing a fullscreen and widescreen version.

4. DarthOnion

DarthOnion Jedi Youngling

Apr 24, 2002
    I read an interview with Lucas (it was in Film Comment I believe) where he said the DVD's release is being hurried along due to increased pressure from fans as well as his peers. He said something to the effect of, "They say it's more powerful when the movie is released on DVD in the same year." Something like that... vaguely like that. Anyway, it seems to be the norm now for a movie to be released in less than a year on DVD.

EDIT: I forgot to add that I don't think it's merely a marketing decision. Lucas isn't THAT greedy.

5. star_wars_is_good

star_wars_is_good Force Ghost star 5

Jun 14, 2002
    The original plan was not to release any of the films on DVD until after Episode III. This changed when there was such high demand for a TPM DVD. Lucas and company listened and we finally got the DVD. For AOTC, they started working on the DVD as they made the movie, that's why it will be ready in November with the VHS release.

-SWIG

6. J-E-D-I

J-E-D-I Jedi Youngling

Aug 2, 2002
    This should go on the Official AOTC DVD Thread :)

7. Alec_Guinness

Alec_Guinness Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 16, 2002
    Hey you little newbie, who are you to say what belongs where?

No flaming! Consider this a warning

8. RogueTrader

RogueTrader Jedi Master star 4

Feb 7, 2002
    Yup. TPM was finished when they started working on the dvd. It took times to complete the deleted scenes put on the disc. It also took time to edit "The Beginning". They did have 600 hours of footage to pick through.

The AOTC dvd started being developed DURING the production of that movie. The only deleted scene we know of that will be added already had it's effects completed.

Plus there is nothing on par with "The Beginning" on this release.

I don't think it was a marketing ploy. It just worked out that way. :D

9. Imperial_Guard

Imperial_Guard Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    Hawk,

Sorry, but that was a brutal analogy.

10. RogueTrader

RogueTrader Jedi Master star 4

Feb 7, 2002
    "Hey you little newbie..." ???????????

While that's not very nice, it's very funny.

[face_plain] [face_laugh] [face_plain]

11. J-E-D-I

J-E-D-I Jedi Youngling

Aug 2, 2002
  12. Imperial_Guard

Jun 13, 2002
    Alec_Guinness,

That newbie shot was uncalled for. Your own profile shows that you haven't even broken 100 posts yet.

And this does belong in the official thread but that's ultimately up to a mod.

13. Celestial

Celestial Jedi Padawan star 4

May 22, 2002
    I've been on other star wars froums, I'm only trying to help. [face-happy]

your a little cutie huh..... :)

14. darthgetalife

darthgetalife Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 21, 2002
    Just one more point : if Lucas is pushing for digital fimmaking, for digital projection, for more D-Cinema, it would only be a contradiction to release again a VHS prior to the DVD.
    As simple as it can be the PT, for his technologicalbreaktrhough in digital filmmaking, does not belong to VHS .

15. ryanof1

ryanof1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2000
    You know, I'm pretty sure GL doesn't feel sorry for us.

Three years ago, DVD was still pretty much in its infancy. Who could've predicted its huge market climb?

DVD is great, but it still really rips people off by having studios put out ten different versions of one film.

16. Imperial_Guard

Jun 13, 2002
    No more than people ripping off the studios with bootlegs.

EDIT: I think a lot of people predicted its huge market climb. It had full support from the studios and it was the next logical step beyond VHS.

17. ryanof1

ryanof1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2000
    Well, video piracy has been around forever. I can remember people selling bootleg VHS tapes of SW before the actual tapes came out.

18. Imperial_Guard

Jun 13, 2002
    You're right, of course, but computers and digital technology make it waaay easier and it is now becoming a much more serious problem for the studios.

19. DimensionX

DimensionX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 11, 2002
    Hey you little newbie, who are you to say what belongs where?

Your a NEWBIE, RIGHT NOW!!!

20. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    What's the big deal? Anyone who's been a fan for any amount of time knows that they've been doing this since the beginning. There are a dozen editions of the OT films and soundtracks. It's just how it is. You can accept it or complain about it all the time. But don't act like it's a big revelation.

I wouldn't place all this on Lucas' shoulders either. I don't think he's actively involved in these sorts of details. 20th Century Fox is the distributer and LFL handles the marketing.

Just be grateful that it'll be on DVD soon. As soon as the OT and Raiders comes on DVD, I can throw my VCR out the window.

21. TokyoXtreme

TokyoXtreme Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    MCP: "Hawk, your analogies are unnecessarily brutal and sadistic."

Hawk: "Thank you, Master Control."

22. Only_2

Only_2 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 21, 2002
    And Lucas is not being too carefull, squezzing out every dollar he can get by releasing a fullscreen and widescreen version.

That's got nothing to do with making money. That's because there seems to be a fairly large contingency of people who want their home videos to be chopped up and lose 40% of the movie. Fullscreen DVD is a huge waste of time. It goes against the point of being able to do anamorphic widescreen in the first place. I love when I go to the video store and hear the clerk arguing with some dumbass who bought a $50 DVD player at Walmart and doesn't understand why "all the videos in this store have the tops and bottoms cut off them". You can't even explain it to them, they just don't get it. I can't wait until 2006 when the FCC is making it mandatory that all TV sets must be digital and widscreen format to work correctly. So many people are finally going to get it, or get pissed!

23. sdj

sdj Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    I just wish that George didn't have that 9mm to my head and was making me buy everything.

"Dammit...you have to buy that special edition Jango Fett AND the regular Jango...do it because I'm not Greedo!"

24. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    People actually worry about this?

First, OF COURSE EVERYTHING IS TO MAKE MONEY. It's a business. It's not evil.

Anyways, let's try and defend Lucas in a different way:

1) VHS was released like every other movie.

2) Lucas wasn't sure about DVDs at the time of TPM, and a SW movie had never been on one. It was uncharted territory and he wanted to make it huge.

3) Now he loves DVDs and has the experience to make good ones because of trial and error on TPM.

It's not a "I'm sorry for TPM's DVD release" or a money making scheme. They just actually have the ability to release it early now.

25. Vonn

Vonn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    Also, don't forget that ILM did almost 3,000 effects shots for AOTC, but only slightly over 2,000 were used. This means, a lot of deleted scenes already had their effects done before they were cut.

Such was not the case for TPM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.