main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Phx Lucas Confirms DVD changes to Classics? (No spoilers)

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by LORDPARSEC, Jan 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LORDPARSEC

LORDPARSEC Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    Saw this on theforce.net this morning. 'Sorry if somebody already posted this.

Lucas Confirms DVD Changes to Classics
    Tue, Jan 06, 04 02:08:12 AM EST

Rob sends us this interesting note:
    A little something I noticed today while browsing in Barnes & Noble today might be of some interest to other Star Wars fans. It's not much, but in Robert J. Emery's The Directors: Take 4, there is a chapter dedicated to George Lucas and his work. In it, George Lucas discusses his revisions to the Classic Trilogy that we are all familiar with in the Special Editions. However, at the end of that section, Lucas mentions that when the Classic Trilogy is released on DVD he will finally be able to release the films in the way he had originally intended.
    He doesn't come out and say it directly, but I think it is fairly safe to assume that he intends to make additional changes to the Classic Trilogy. Either way, there are some good things in this book would recommend the series to any interested in filmmaking.

Sure sounds like it to us as well.

LP: Thoughts anyone???

2. Idiots Array

Idiots Array Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 3, 2000
    I'm living comfortably in a state of denial. The remastered Classic Trilogy (not the special edition) will always be there to comfort me.

3. KREATOR

KREATOR Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 28, 2003
    If it aint broke, dont fix it

4. PtrsonsZOO

PtrsonsZOO Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 30, 2001
    Amen Brutha!

Kin I get a "Glory!" from the crowd?

Sorry, musta beeen my Southan upbringin' showin' thru agin ;)

5. mrbunny666

mrbunny666 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 23, 2002
    As long as solo shoots 1st, I don't really care what other changes are made

6. Tobar

Tobar Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 18, 2002
    You don't care eh.....what if they change the Second Death star into a Borg Cube! Would ya care then!? Or...or what if they change blasters into spud guns.....or even.......DUN DUN DUN....ADD HALF AN HOUR OF NEW JAR JAR footage to each film at critical points in the movie! What then HMMM!?

7. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    Yeah, George needs to quit tinkering. It IS possible to ruin a good thing if you "fix" too much. A New Hope: Special Edition was quite enough.

And, yes, Han needs to shoot first. No one ever complained that a smuggler should be politically correct - Han himself wouldn't spare you more than a dirty look for even mentioning it.

8. blackfeather

blackfeather Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2002
    if the lucas says to buy it, i will buy it. the lucas can do no wrong. the lucas is infallible. the lucas is.

9. LORDPARSEC

Feb 5, 2002
    I'm not sure how I feel about this. There are pros and cons. It was my understanding that the changes he plans to make aren't as big as the changes he made for the Special Editions. I heard they were only going to be little tidbits of scenes that help "mold" the entire trilogy together. I kind of feel like if George thinks it will make the Saga flow together better than okay by me. I don't mind additions, I just don't want to see any more "major changes" to the classics like Greedo shooting 1st and so forth.

10. One-armed_Wampa

One-armed_Wampa Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 22, 2002
    maybe me get more screen time and make huge comeback and get many endorsement deals.

11. Lord_Reaper

Lord_Reaper Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 8, 2002
    It IS possible to ruin a good thing if you "fix" too much.

Agreed. Has anyone seen Michael Jackson's face?

12. KREATOR

KREATOR Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 28, 2003
    heh...Mikey's problem is probably because his face has been buried in too many didies.

lol (can't wait to see if this gets edited)

:D :D :))

13. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    I'm not sure how I feel about this. There are pros and cons. It was my understanding that the changes he plans to make aren't as big as the changes he made for the Special Editions. I heard they were only going to be little tidbits of scenes that help "mold" the entire trilogy together. I kind of feel like if George thinks it will make the Saga flow together better than okay by me. I don't mind additions, I just don't want to see any more "major changes" to the classics like Greedo shooting 1st and so forth.

"molding" the entire trilogy together sounds like it could be some major changes.. what if he decided to insert prequel characters into the trilogy.. i'd see that as major.. especially if he also cut out characters from the movies in order to digitally replace them with prequel characters.. they monkeyed around with the cantina aliens once...

would you consider it a minor change if he removed sebastian shaw as the ghost of anakin and replaced him with hayden christensen as the ghost? would it be an improvement or not?

the only real improvement i would want to see is redoing Special Edition ANH jabba.. he just didn't look right.

ok.. he can also put back the original music to Rotj... Lapti Nek instead of Jedi Rocks and Yub Yub instead of that instrumental blandness at the end.

14. Anwelei

Anwelei Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 26, 2001
    why can't he just release "Classic" and "Special Editions"?. The man knows we'd shell out money for both of them. And i don't like changes to the Trilogy. I like looking back at the originals in all their faulty glory. <pouts>

15. LORDPARSEC

Feb 5, 2002
    "...would you consider it a minor change if he removed sebastian shaw as the ghost of anakin and replaced him with hayden christensen as the ghost? would it be an improvement or not?"

That type of change was not quite what I meant. I think changing Shaw with Hayden would suck... but I don't think that's going to happen. There was a sort of "wish list" that appeared on TFN a few months ago and that change was on it. I believe at least 80% of that list to be crap derived from other fans. The changes I was mentioning were things like shots on Alderaan just prior to it's distruction and stuff like this. I don't think Lucas is going to digigtally replace characters from the original trilogy or add Jar Jar to the classics. And it doesn't bother me that he did it for A NEW HOPE because several of the creatures he replaced looked stupid anyway. Lucas always hated the Cantina scene and now he's got it where he likes it.
    There was talk on the list, however, of some music changes in A New Hope. For instance, the Imperial March as Vader makes his first appearance. I like that idea. I've never felt that all the music of ANH quite flowed with the feel of music from the other films. It's anybody's guess what's going to happen at this point. All I know is, I've enjoyed the Special Editions (minus Greedo shooting first and Luke's Micheal J. Fox scream as he falls down the shaft in 'Empire). We'll see what happens I guess. :)

16. DarthFeldman

DarthFeldman Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    YES...lapti nek MUST come back.. no more computer generated snootles.. gimme the real latex puppet. ..

that sounds bad ;)

17. Darth_Myles

Darth_Myles Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 1, 2002
    He's still not planning on releasing them until after EP3 right? grumble...grumble...grumble...

18. Commander_Choad

Commander_Choad Jedi Master star 4

Sep 11, 2002
    Actually, these (as I understand it) are slated for release next november...

So, this will be the first set, then there will be the all inclusive set when Ep 3 comes out, then I'm sure that there will be the ultimate collector's edition, complete with talking Yoda doll and your very own miniature lightsabre...

Then there will be the anniversary edition, then there will be the 'official George Lucas edition' then there will be....

aw heck... this is gonna get expensive for us star wars geeks... cuz we're gonna have to have each edition... And we all know that Lucas is an expert at milking things for every last cent...

*sigh*

Oh well. :D

19. LORDPARSEC

Feb 5, 2002
    ROFL! I agree, Choad. Maybe we should have car wash or something... LOL! :D

PS. I was also informed that it was November.

20. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    you're going to have to wash a lot of cars if each of you wants to buy 1 copy of each version of the trilogy that he might release :)

i know that the sebastian/hayden switch was fancrap but used it as an example of something that he might do and consider minor....

i never felt that the original cantina aliens needed changing, because Lak Sivrak the Shistavenan Wolfman was still pretty alien to me...

not sure how i feel about changing the music, such as adding the imperial march to ANH... then again, he added jabba and boba fett to it. what if he added Ric Olie to be next to General Dodonna in the briefing room?

21. Master_Ronin

Master_Ronin Jedi Youngling star 2

May 16, 2002
    "Have pasty white Star Wars geeks wash your car so they can raise money for the hordes of Star Wars DVDs!!"

I think this angle can work!

;)

22. Idiots Array

Idiots Array Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 3, 2000
    Well, a carwash would get rid of that pasty white aspect.

23. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    if Chiss get sunburned, what color do they turn? purple?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.