main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lucas Contradicting Himself

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Anfauglir, Aug 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anfauglir

Anfauglir Jedi Youngling

Aug 12, 2004
    Hello, I'm new to these boards, and was asked over at the Council of Elrond to post this over here. Everone there already knows my distaste for the special editions, and my wish of having Lucas release both versions of SW so the fans can choose which one they want to watch. Just a little something I found on IMDB the other day. George Lucas talking about his distaste for colorization.

Quote:
    George Lucas, a longtime foe of "colorized" movies, has sharply criticized Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment's decision to release two Three Stooges DVDs today (Tuesday) that will allow viewers to watch them in either their original black-and-white or digitally colored versions. In an interview with the Associated Press, Lucas said, that the Stooges' slapstick comedy belongs in a black-and-white universe. "Would color distract from their comedy and make it not as funny anymore?" Lucas said. "Maybe just the fact that they're in black and white makes it funny, because their humor is dated. But by putting it in black and white, it puts it in a context where you can appreciate it for what it was. But you try to make it in full living color and try to compare it to a Jim Carrey movie, then it's hard for young people to understand. ... It's not fair to the artist."

First, I don't believe in colorization, BUT Columbia is giving the viewer the CHOICE to watch WHICHEVER ONE THEY WANT. Second, "puts it in a context where you can appreciate it for what it was" and "It's not fair to the artist". Well maybe he should take his own advice. How is replacing the original Anikin in RotJ fair to the artist? It's not. And it's also not fair to the fans.

Lucas...one last time...RELEASE BOTH VERSIONS!!!!!

2. DarkHelmet24

DarkHelmet24 Jedi Youngling

Aug 12, 2004
    Trolling.

3. Crow_T_Robot

Crow_T_Robot Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 18, 2002
    http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=16657645&start=16662802

It's fair to the artist because Lucas is THE artist.

4. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    Lucas didn't invent black and white but he did invent Star Wars. So he can do whatever he wants with his creation.

The O-OT will NEVER be released on DVD. And I'm glad.

5. thecleric007

thecleric007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2003
    We have the O-OT on video cassette, so I don't really care that the new versions only will be on DVD. You don't really need two versions of the same movie, do you? And I doubt any special features would have been different, if the originals were put out on DVD.

The Cleric 007

6. Helmet

Helmet Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 1, 2001
    One version only. Thank you. Why would I need a 2 versions when I'm only going to ever watch one?

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I wouldn't count out the possibility of seeing a DVD release of the Original Visions just yet- might be a couple years, but I think the fans will get what they want eventually.

8. Helmet

Nov 1, 2001
    ^^^^^I disagree, but it's possible.

9. Darth-Jett

Darth-Jett Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 11, 2002
    Lucas...one last time...RELEASE BOTH VERSIONS!!!!!

One last time! I wish everybody else would just ask one last time, and stop complaining.

Face it people, Lucas hates the O-OT! If you want the O-OT on DVD, eBay can accomidate you.

The O-OT will NEVER be released on DVD. And I'm glad.

I agree completely.

10. plutoneam

plutoneam Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 21, 2003
    He is doing the same thing he was so against!

Why doesn't anyone else see it?
    Until the Independant-Thought-Lucas-Police come...

11. Helmet

Nov 1, 2001

No he isn't.

12. M-Perror-Palpy

M-Perror-Palpy Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 22, 2004

The SW Saga belongs to him, it is his work, he can update it.

The Stooges now belong to a company, not the artist(s) that created them, the shouldn't be able to change the artists work.

Simple when you actually know how to read correctly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.