1. A Warning For Everyone To See:

PT vs. OT vs. ST vs. Anthology (in any combination) debates are not allowed in the New Movies forums. Discussions that descend into OT/PT/ST/Anthology bashing/gushing will be subject to Mod action. Consider this your warning.

Rumor Lucas: Force Awakens not about Skywalker grandchildren

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Sequel Trilogy (Released Films)' started by rezpen, Apr 17, 2015.

1. darthgator1217 Jedi Master

star 3
    Here is the link:

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertai...ar-wars-vanity-fair-the-force-awakens/392669/
  2. Leoluca Randisi Jedi Master

star 5
    thanks, that was a good read !!!!!!!!!
    KenW likes this.
  3. redlightning Jedi Knight

star 4
    It wouldn't be a bad idea to have had a spin off or television series which dealt with the new characters of the Skywalker lineage while they were children. There could have been characters from the New Jedi Order series, but I don't think there is going to be more than probably ten Jedi in Episode VII.

I'm still pissed that there never was an animated series between Episode I and II with Anakin as a child and Obi-Wan training him then. We could use some younger characters in the series to follow after.
    KenW and Force Smuggler like this.
  4. Pro Scoundrel New Films Lawgiver & Casual Flyer

Manager
    star 5
    Repost from the treatment thread:

Ok guys, I finally watched the Colbert/Lucas interview and I don't think George is referring to the the TFA characters when he talks about ages.

He says "The original saga was about the Father, the CHILDREN, and the grandchildren. And, the CHILDREN were in their 20's and everything, so it wasn't Phantom Menace again."

I'm pretty sure he's talking about Luke and Leia's age in the OT, not the TFA characters. This has all been a big misunderstanding. Listen to it again from that perspective
  5. Darkslayer Force Ghost

star 6
    If it was "several" though, that would be hard to do unless they wanted to do the trilogy like LOTR.
    Last edited by Darkslayer, May 9, 2015
  6. powerupone1 Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Luke is Finn's father and Rey is his cousin. Everybody happy? :D
  7. Allana_Rey Jedi Master

star 4
    There has to be a descendant. I'd be disappointed if there isn't.
    Darth Basin likes this.
  8. Qui-Riv-Brid Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Did you miss this bit?

"And, the CHILDREN were in their 20's and everything, so it wasn't Phantom Menace again."

Which relates directly to the VF authors speculation about having young teens like in TPM which the person speculated is why Disney went away from that.

Due to Lucas' storyline supposedly having very young teens or in TPM's case a 9 year old and a 14 year old.

Of course Luke and Leia are officially 19 in ANH now but Leia was supposed to be 16 until she became Luke's sister so she got aged up to Luke's 19-20.

Now why you would shy away from TPM's "teens" when it lead to one of the biggest hits of all times I don't know.

There was that other modern series where the characters started at 11 then each movie only was set one year later that did pretty well too.

What was that called?

Oh yeah...

Harry Potter.
    Shamear and thejeditraitor like this.
  9. thejeditraitor Chosen One

star 6
    the question is about tfa. he talks about tfa, mentions the kids being in their 20's and then ends with tfa. he's talking about tfa.
    Shamear likes this.
  10. OBIWANARNO Jedi Master

star 1
    I am a bit concerned if Abrams has dismissed Lucas' original plans for the trilogy - not because I think that Lucas should be the man to write the story (although he is very good at writing story treatments and some of the characters are character he invented) but because I remember what he did to the Star Trek films where he basically ignored everything that happened before and some of the characters were by some reason totally different. However, I am hoping Abrams affection for the Star Wars films (at least the original) means that won't happen here and that he will not ignore things that happened in the previous six films.

As for the family theme I think the trailer is very clear that the person Luke is talking to is a family member. It doesn't have to be his/Leia's daughter/son but it is likely. It could actually be their nieces/cousins (the children of Padmé's siblings for example) but I don't think such originality has entered their minds and therefore I think these are Luke and Leia's children (at least 1 or 2 of them) and I am hoping it is/they are Luke's children as I have always seen him as the main hero of the saga (let's face it, Leia was probably not meant to be his sister until in the 1980's).

Finally, I hope we will one day get to read Lucas' original plan for the films as I think it would be an interesting read even though the films will go in a different direction.
  11. EECHUUTA Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm wondering...

Maybe Kylo is the 'grandchild' and the person Luke is supposedly talking to is someone not related? That would be an inverse of what happened before, where instead of a non-relative (Obi-wan) mentoring a Skywalker, a Skywalker is mentoring someone non-related. And this Sith grandchild is the last of the Skywalkers, who has to be taken down by this new person Luke is talking to (someone who isn't as emotionally involved to whatever evil this grandchild did) because if he does it himself, he fears he'll risk falling to the Darkside.
  12. Darth Basin Jedi Master

star 5
    Update Spoiler warning.

It looks like its now about a Grandchild instead of Grandchildren.
    thejeditraitor likes this.