main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Lucas: Force Awakens not about Skywalker grandchildren

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by rezpen, Apr 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    Don't foget that Mark Hamill talked about this story being about their offspring (so Luke's and/or Leia/Han's). ;)

2. Max@TSWP

Max@TSWP Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 21, 2014
    1) Lucas says “They’re (Disney) are doing a different story, I don’t even know anything about it.”
    2) Lucas says he has not seen the second trailer.

So if the guy knows nothing about what they are making for TFA and has not seen the second trailer, how is it then, he knows they are not using a Solo or Skywalker child in the movie.

Honestly people, listen to what the man is saying. He knows nothing, therefore he is the last person you would ask about what the movie is about amirite.

3. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I honestly think he doesn't know anything about the movie.

4. rezpen

rezpen Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2010
    Well you have to know something to know they are doing something different I would think?

Jobertus likes this.
  5. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Don't care.

As long as it's good, I don't care if the next generation is blood related or not.

Dewback likes this.
  6. Vehgah

Vehgah Jedi Knight star 4

May 8, 2014
    No. It wouldn't. Not as well, at least.

We don't know who Luke's wife will be. She could be someone that would go on a trip with her daughter, die, and her daughter never be heard from until now.

But we know Leia and Han are in this movie; so it's reasonable to ask, why would both of them be separated from their progeny? Especially if she is really young during the separation.

7. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    "They're not using my ideas" does not mean there are no more Skywalkers after Luke and Leia.

Also, no offense to anyone, but the exacting yet somehow obfuscating pedantry devoted to those four lines spoken by Luke in the teaser has been a mind-numbing exercise in needless over-complication.

8. rezpen

May 4, 2010
    I really can't imagine Han being cool with Uncle Luke running off with his 3 year old to Camp Jedi forever.

9. kaustin7

kaustin7 Jedi Knight

Jan 28, 2013
    There will be offspring, otherwise it should not be an "Episode #." Luke may well adopt someone along the way but there should also be a Skywalker bloodline. I can't imagine JJ, KK and Disney stray that far from the original idea. The Episode movies should be about the Skywalkers. Disney can make a million Star Wars movies but if they are to keep it true to the PT, OT and Lucas' vision for the GFFA then the Episode movies will be about the Skywalker bloodline.

Jobertus likes this.
  10. Max@TSWP

Max@TSWP Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 21, 2014
    The entire teaser is centered around Luke talking about the Force in his family. Of course there is at least one who will be child of the legacy cast.

11. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I interpret it as Luke talking to family. Might not be but I am positive in this.

Didn't Lucas say that he wanted to do the experience for Episode 7 as a fan and not know anything?
    How could he do that if he knew what was going on?

Could be interpreting that wrong.

12. Danfromumbrella

Danfromumbrella Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2014
    He probably only knows they ditched Michael Arndt's script and ASSUMED it's because they didn't want his ( lucas ) story. When in reality they needed to make some changes to some ideas in a limited amount of time and reworkings so they decided to take over.

Lucas sees this, isn't in on the business dealings anymore....assumes they ditched my story because he's only seen a basic teaser number 1.

13. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    waste of thread with faulty title.

14. TooMuchBBQ

TooMuchBBQ Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 4, 2014
    This. I take that line as no more than him saying 'You wanna know about the Force? I know all about it. My father was strong in the Force, I am, my sister is - we know Force. You have that power too, and I'm gonna help you'

Dewback, Seeher and Valairy Scot like this.
  15. Knessa84

Knessa84 Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 21, 2014
    It works better with Han and Leia because we know them, their relationship and they are in this film. Luke's wife and background and all that would require explanation. And I've already said why both Han and Leia would be separated from their child. According to MSW's spoilers, Luke had a Jedi Academy that likely Rey was at as a child. It was invaded and practically everyone was killed. Han and Leia could think Rey is dead.

As to why she would be at a Jedi Academy that young, it is not unusual for force sensitive children to start training that young - the PT made that pretty clear. And Han and Leia weren't leaving her with a stranger but her uncle.

16. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    This thread is patently misleading.

Look he doesnt have to be talking to a family member. His dialogue only works if he is talking to someone who doesnt know that they are related but it could be a solid call back

17. Knessa84

Knessa84 Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 21, 2014
    There's zero point in Luke mentioning that Leia is force-sensitive when, from rumors, she has not been a practicing jedi. So I do not think it was about Luke saying "yeah, we are all great in the force" when his sister doesn't really use it. The reason they mixed it so he brings up Leia right before he says "you have it too" is because that's how Rey is force sensitive, because it runs in the family and Leia is her mother.

18. kaustin7

kaustin7 Jedi Knight

Jan 28, 2013
    We also have to take it from a certain point of view. The new movie focuses more heavily on the cast from the OT then Lucas originally intended. It sounds like Luke may be around with a more significant role in E VIII.

Finally, Lucas is a walking and talking contradiction when it comes to Star Wars movies. In the the 70's and 80's he talked about 9-12 films. Following Jedi and his divorce he said he was done, no more SW movies, the redemption of the father was complete with Jedi Then in the mid-90's he started working up the PT. When it was finished he said he covered everything. The story of Anakin was complete even though he had spoke to Mark Hamill back in 76 or 77 about appearing in a sequel in his 60's to pass the lightsaber.

Lucas hand picked KK, I can't imagine she would let his vision go completely out the window.

No doubt changes were made, but I expect the Skywalker Bloodline to play a significant role in this and the following episode movies.

Disney can cover other aspects of the GFFA in spin offs or other trilogies.

19. rezpen

May 4, 2010
    How dare you :) I think it's worthwhile given its a new quote. If I had to do it over I would add a question mark to the end if a mod wants to feel free.

20. Danfromumbrella

Danfromumbrella Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2014
    If someone really thinks none of the new characters is related to a legacy character....then you are in some major denial. It's ALWAYS been about the skywalker line.

Jobertus, Toonimator and Knessa84 like this.
  21. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014

What JJ is thought to have done is beef up the Big Three's roles so give them a grand sendoff and let us see them as the main characters one last time. I'm sure Kasdan and JJ removed some things from Lucas' outline, but I hope it was for the better. Which, judging from the trailer, it seems to be.

Lucas might have a hard time letting go, even after retirement. Of course if the film is seen as really good, ie better than the Prequels, he could get a bit bitter.

22. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Perhaps Luke's children were stolen at a young age. One is Kylo, other Rey.

23. Admiral_Wyvern

Admiral_Wyvern Jedi Master star 2

Feb 14, 2014
    I would be very surprised if none of the main characters had kids over the last 30 years. Perhaps they will not be part of the new trio, but personally I doubt it. Rey is a strong contender for a Solo child regardless of where she is when the story begins.

24. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    It's a new quote that you are reading way too much into. Just like all the people reading way too much into Luke's voiceover from the teaser: it's the ROTJ dialogue, rearranged so "you have that power, too" comes at the end which causes the dialogue to tell a different story, one about passing the torch to the next generation in the Skywalker family. That is all.

Present-tense on "my father has it" doesn't mean "Vader lives in TFA!", it means "Vader was alive when Luke said it to Leia". Saying "the Force is strong in my family" doesn't mean 'the person he's speaking to in the teaser isn't related to the Skywalkers', it means 'he hasn't sprung the news yet that Leia is a Skywalker', because it's from ROTJ. So many people around the web & social media have fought back against that assertion, ignoring that every single word from Luke's voiceover is from the Endor dialogue with Leia.

George's quote that his idea for the story of Star Wars (an idea that, it must be noted, has changed a bajillion times over the years--I may be slightly exaggerating there) is about the father, the children, and the grandchildren, and that they haven't used that story. He's previously stated that he has no idea what they're doing, hasn't been involved in the process for ages, and only started saying "They aren't using my stuff" after finally seeing the first teaser, which runs 88 seconds, several seconds of which are black screens between scenes. That's tough to judge an entire movie on, especially to say "they didn't use anything I wrote". Now he's saying it again, and he hasn't even seen the second teaser.

This new quote is fluff. It's meaningless. Congratulations on your multiple-page thread of wild speculation & rampant cognitive dissonance based on quotes spit out by a guy who isn't in the loop on his old property anymore.

starocean90 and lovelikewinter like this.
  25. SkywalkerOG

SkywalkerOG Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 19, 2014
    I saw an interview of George's son saying he knows the direction of the whole ST.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.