main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

lucas his jewish religion and star wars

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth_Tonga, Aug 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Tonga

Darth_Tonga Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 15, 2003
    did anyone else see what i see in the saga how lucas is sliping in religus overtones in to the movies here are some things i see that say he is one of this he admits to the empire = nazis, jedi = jews, anakin = jesus how dose anakin = jesus well they both are of a virgin birth anakin is taken in by the jedi jesus by the jews jedi = jew's anakin leaves the jedi for the sith jesus dosn't follow the jewish religion as he should and indoig so creates a new religion witch in a small part of the world in the 20th century come beleavers of that new religion creat the nazi who = empire. i'm not against jew's or christians i just happened to see this and thought is strange

2. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Darth_Tonga,
    I admire your valiant stand against punctuation.

3. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    Besides having similar names, how are the Jedis like Jews?

If anything, Jedi are very similar to the Knights Templar of the Middle Ages, who were basically Christian fighting monks who protected the Holy Land.

4. exar-tull

exar-tull Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 22, 2001
    the knights templar were betrayd for their money and resource on friday the 13.

5. gator

gator Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 20, 2003
    this is an interesting one

The thread title implies Lucas is Jewish. Is that true?

6. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    No. He was raised Methodist, but is reluctant to specify which faith he follows now.

He says he's spiritual, and that all the people around where he lives are "Buddhist". Take that as you will.

7. The_Abstract

The_Abstract Jedi Master star 4

Jul 16, 2002
    So this thread topic would be, at best, a moot point.

Tough luck, kid. You'll get 'em next time.

8. coney_1_kenobi

coney_1_kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2002
    Besides having similar names, how are the Jedis like Jews?

Well, During the Jewish Holocaust in world war II, Hitler had the "final solution" put into play, ie, the extermination of the Jewish race. And we know that over 6 million were killed. This is similar to the jedi. How?-the emperor has the jedi wiped out. So you can say the rise of the emperor parallels with the rise of Hitler.

But I don't see what that has to do with Jewish religion.

9. Darth_MacDaddy

Darth_MacDaddy Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    anakin leaves the jedi for the sith jesus dosn't follow the jewish religion as he should and indoig so creates a new religion witch in a small part of the world in the 20th century come beleavers of that new religion creat the nazi who = empire.

I don't fully understand this, but I'm guessing your implying that Anakin defected from the Jedi to the Sith and created a new "religion" - since when did Anakin create the Sith, the Sith had been around thousands of years before Anakin had even been born.

Some of your points are good though ;)

10. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    While I understand fully, I'm not really sure I do at all.

First off, Lucas has not said that the Empire was supposed to represent the Nazis, at least not in the way you mean it. While its true that names like "stormtroopers" were supposed to invite that inference, the point was to be that the Empire in SW is as evil as the Nazis in RL, not that the Nazis in RL are as evil as the Empire in SW. In other words, it was a quick way to help the audience understand that they were bad guys without going into any great length about it.

Secondly, what do you mean "Jesus taken in by the Jews"? He was a Jew, that was his ethnicity. There was no taking in about it, it was his own family.

As for the final piece, its rather weak. After all, all the disciples, and most of the early centers of Christianity were Jews/Jewish. So while Hitler did feed off prejudices about the Jews nurtured by the medieval church, the purpose of the religion when founded was never to destroy them. Whereas Anakin not only joined a pre-existing order, but one who's intention, was in fact, to destroy the Jedi when it was founded.

The connection between Jews and Jedi are very frail, to put it kindly. Hitler was trying to destroy the Jewish ethnicity, not targetting Judaism. The Jedi have no ethnic group or species attached to their order. Further, nothing of their practices are particularly the same (Jews are monotheist, Jedi are clearly more Eastern in their theology, as Lucas has stated). The Jedi are a strictly monastic order while the Jews are not. In light of all this, the fact that both were driven into extinction is rather insignficant. Let's consider some other groups driven into extinction, for comparison: the Knights Templar, the Ani-Baptists, modern attempts at ethnic cleansing in Bosnia and Rawanda, etc. As for simply dead religions, need I really make a list of all those?

In any case, it seems to me you've noticed a few interesting things, and connected in them ways that they weren't meant to be.

11. Bjork

Bjork Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 21, 2002
    I suppose you could make that assumption - but you could broaden it and say that it also applies more specifically to Christianity, or certain Muslim aspects, mythology, etc. etc.

In reality all religions, folk tales, mythological stories, etc. etc. are really just variations of each other. If you put them on a venn-diagram you'd be surprise how they really are alike and based off of each other. So essentially; you can do the same comparisons and contrasts with Star Wars... *Shrug* :)

12. KrystalBlaze

KrystalBlaze Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    I can kind of see where you're coming from, Tonga, but I can see it from different aspects. I don't exactly see it as Lucas slipping his reglion into the movies, but it sometimes plays out that way. It's a kind of delicate dance. I'd elaborate, but I'm sure of the policy here on tfn via the Bible and relgion and such.

-Krystal

13. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000
    Well, During the Jewish Holocaust in world war II, Hitler had the "final solution" put into play, ie, the extermination of the Jewish race. And we know that over 6 million were killed. This is similar to the jedi. How?-the emperor has the jedi wiped out. So you can say the rise of the emperor parallels with the rise of Hitler.

But that wasn't just trying to create a master race, they were political enemies, being opposed to the Sith. So one could argue that, in this case, he's more like Stalin.

14. coney_1_kenobi

coney_1_kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2002
    I was just explaining how the jedi are similar to the Jews, in their existence being wiped out.

But I still believe the emperor is most similar to Hitler....not every aspect has to be taken into account.

15. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    Hitler had Jewish blood in him, yet persecuted the Jews. Palpatine is a Force-user, yet will wipe out all other Force-users ('cept Vader of course).

Their rise to power is very similar.

That's about where their connections end though.

16. KrystalBlaze

KrystalBlaze Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    But I still believe the emperor is most similar to Hitler....not every aspect has to be taken into account.

I suppose you can say that when everything comes down to it. They were both inhuman and enjoyed the suffering of others that they did not like or viewed to be inferior (not that they were, but from the point of view of who we're talking about, they were). I don't believe, though, that Lucas was intentionally trying to say that Palpatine is like Hitler, because if you do, than that's a call to question the entire reason Lucas made the movies, and no one wants to see that. At all.

-Krystal

17. Obi-Ewan

Jan 24, 2000
    Lucas claims to have based him most heavily on Richard Nixon, particularly his seizing of power to stay in office in time of war.

18. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    I would recommend you read The Magic of Myth companion book to the exhibition held at the National Air and Space Museum of the Smithsonian Institution. It goes into some detail about the obvious and more subtle references GL made in writing "Star Wars." Not only similarities of Nazi Germany...but various forms of religion, and the old west (among other ideas).

Again, as other have pointed out..."Some of your points are good though"

19. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    Palpy is most similiar in his rise, IMHO, to Julius Ceasar who created an emergency so he could get "emergency" powers and remain dictator for life (before that the Senate could give dictatorial powers for 6 months.)

Palpy and Julius Ceasar both managed to turn a democracy into an Empire.

20. Vader666

Vader666 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 3, 2003
    I don't see any strong "Jewish" side to the story. George said it's a mix of religions. The rise of Palpatine is similar to Hitler and Caesar. It may also have some resemblance to Remus and Romulus (palatine hill) which can imply that Palpatine is a clone of Sidious.

21. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003

The only parallel I see with the Nazis killing the Jews is the portrayal of the Empire as being solely run by humans, which would fit with the racial superiority attitude which the Nazis had.

Maybe Palpy has all aliens removed from positions of power in ep.3.

g

22. Obi-Ewan

Jan 24, 2000

Hitler felt the Jews controled too much business and screwed him out a job, and convinced Germany of the same. Hitler had them wiped out because of racism. Palpatine, on the other hand, knows the Jedi to be a political threat. Killing them is much more like Stalin.

23. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    I see the Empire as more like the Soviet Union, than the Nazis. Of course, the Imperial officers are VERY Nazi like.

It's kind of a mixed bag.

As for Lucas being Jewish-maybe you're thinking of Stephen Spielberg?

24. Fanboy_Solo

Fanboy_Solo Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 7, 2001
    Oh you're real kind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.