main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Lucas intended for ROTJ to be the Final Star Wars ever, explaining the bad story.

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by StarWars2015, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Yeah, it's The Scouring of the Shire, but at the beginning of RotK. The return home of the hero as a changed man after his adventure is one of the common themes of myths and legends. I expect Campbell wrote at least a chapter on the subject.

2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I think that's why Lucas went with Tatooine rather than placing Jabba on a different planet all together.

Darkslayer likes this.
  3. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015

And yet it took them a year to do this?:confused:

4. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    they had a lot of spying and infiltration to do.

Darkslayer likes this.
  5. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    More thoughts:
    I understand the time difference as Luke continuing to train as a Jedi in order to have the skills to rescue Han. I also think he and Leia would've been involved in missions for the Rebels.

I don't mind the year gap. Though I definitely would've had him train with Yoda prior to rescuing Han. Apparently in early drafts that was considered. The big dilemma though was why wouldn't Luke ask him about Vader's identity? That's why we have it the way it is now, but then why does Yoda scold Luke for leaving him in TESB saying he needs more training and then in RotJ say he's done?

6. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    Yeah, between coming up with the actual rescue plan, and being occupied with the war that was still going on, it's not like they could just do it the next day. And wmu'14, the consensus from a previous thread about this sort of was that Luke was strong enough in the force to train and improve a lot on his own in the time between ESB and ROTJ. His loss to Vader taught him a lot too.

Darkslayer and Sarge like this.
  7. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015

I don't think so. Luke had enough experience with the Rebel Alliance to launch a rescue of Han without waiting a year. I don't see how Luke needed to be a fully trained Jedi in order to save Han from Jabba.

8. True Sith

May 10, 2015
    I was under the impression he was flying with Rogue Squadron a lot more often in that time than he was doing covert missions like infiltrating palaces. Besides, being in control of his emotions like a fully trained Jedi was essential as he's going to rescue a friend in peril.

9. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    luke never did. it was a coordinated plan between luke, the droids, leia, chewie and lando.

10. Obi-John Kenobi

Obi-John Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2012
    I've always said the year gaps between movies never make sense. It's best to just suppose it was a matter of months,canon be damned.:D

They couldn't have Luke go back to train with Yoda between films because:
    A) They needed the "Your father,he is" conformation saved for the movie.

B) People would've been irate if his training was completed between movies after the "I'll return, I promise." of TESB. It would be reduced to some throw away line. "Oh yeah, Han. Nothin' to worry about. I went back and finished my Jedi training with Yoda, 6 months before I came to get you. I've taken care of everything..."

11. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015

But isn't that what happened? Didn't Luke finish his training between the two movies?

Why? If that's the case, then Leia, Lando and Chewbacca needed Jedi training or something close to it in order to rescue Han. And as "thejeditraitor" had pointed out, he wasn't the only one who rescued Han.

12. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

It takes time to plan these things out and for Luke to continue his training, which included figuring out how to construct a Lightsaber.

Because military might was not going to be enough. He needed the wisdom and strength that only being a Jedi can afford him to get the job done. Because he rushed off before he was ready, he took a bad beating. He needs to wait and prepare himself, physically and mentally to do this. Remember that for the Jedi, patience is a virtue and one to be utilized to its fullest.

He wasn't finished. He had advanced, but he was still not completely trained. Yoda told him that he had enough of what was necessary to face Vader.

It was Luke's plan as Lucas said during the story meetings. He was the one who came up with everything and anticipated almost everything. All Lando, Leia and Chewie were was his associates. His men. He needed them in place to help him pull this off. Even Obi-wan in his prime would suggest caution and time to plan a strategy.

True Sith and Hogarth Wrightson like this.
  13. Obi-John Kenobi

Obi-John Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2012
    Well, he didn't finish training with Yoda is the point. He grew stronger in the Force maybe, but he didn't have any actual Jedi mentor guidance at that point.

14. True Sith

May 10, 2015
    He clearly didn't need it in the end to complete his training, either. Luke's 'trial by fire' training if you will when he fought and lost to Vader was a major learning experience.

15. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015

That didn't make any sense to me, either. In fact, I find this as an example of bad writing on Lucas' part.

16. True Sith

May 10, 2015
    Luke's actual experience gained from the duel was more valuable than what Yoda could've taught him after that. The reason Yoda insisted so much that Luke stay and finish in TESB was because for all he and Obi-Wan knew, Luke would be turned to the dark side, or even killed. Obviously neither of those two things happened, and instead, when Yoda saw Luke next, still strong in the light side, he deemed him to be no longer in need of the training. Luke trained a lot by himself in that gap as well, which has already been mentioned. Yes, Lucas was making some things up as he went along, but that doesn't equal 'bad writing' necessarily.

17. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    :rolleyes: A TESB cirle jerk thread. Aaand with that I'm out.

18. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

Why? Luke had everything that he needed. He knew how to levitate objects. Perform the mind trick. To stretch out his feelings and act on instinct. He could block blaster bolts and he was able to hold up against Vader both times, with the second time being much better than the first. He successfully rescued Han, Leia, Chewie, Lando, Threepio, Artoo and himself. He was able to construct a Lightsaber which Vader deemed as more than acceptable and that his skills were complete. All that was left was to continue to practice on his own, which he did for the better part of a year. There was nothing more to learn. All that was left was to pass his trial.

Sarge and Hogarth Wrightson like this.