Lucas may not direct Episode III?

Discussion in 'Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by jcarr, Jul 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jcarr Jedi Knight

star 1
    I heard something about this on TechTV the other night, but have not read anything more about it anywhere else?
  2. Jabachile Jedi Master

star 4
    So far it's been stated that he'll finish off the series himself. Personally, I'd like another director to do the job, but that's just me, now isn't it? :D
  3. Sand Hippie Jedi Knight

star 2
    No, it's not just you... I'd like someone else to direct it definitely. Maybe Speilberg... or the Coen Bros. :D

SH
  4. Mogook Jedi Master

star 4
    It would be cool to see a Star Wars movie directed by the Coen Bros., but I don't see that happening.

Lucas has said he'll be directing Episode III.
  5. Luke_Clone Jedi Master

star 4
    I want to see Lucas finish what he started. Episode 3 will be the most fun to do, he said so himself I believe, and I think he should have the honor. :)
  6. e1828 Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'd like to see him finish his own creation as well but maybe let his pride down a little to ask for advice form other accomplished people as named in earlier posts, I think the melding of so many great minds will produce a great movie.
  7. Mace Windy Manager Emeritus

star 6
    George took advice from Steven Speilberg as well as Ron Howard while making TPM. He doesn't have much "pride," I don't think. He seems like a pretty down-to-earth guy to me....

:cool: Mace Windy,
    three years, doesn't it just blow you away!?
  8. stormcloud8 Force Ghost

star 4
    Instead of the Coen Bros, how about the Farrelly Brothers?
  9. Adi_Gallia_9 Chosen One

star 5
    I really don't have a problem with George finishing up the prequels, but I wish Irvin Kershner would be allowed to help... He said he'd like to.
  10. Lukecash Jedi Master

star 4
    I think that the Marx Bros should direct the third movie. Just to here the following dialoug.

Jedi Council and the senat sing :"Horray for Obi-Wan Kanobi, The Jedi-explorer!"

Obi Wan: This morning I killed a Rancor in my pajamas; what he was doing in my pajamas, I will never know!

Of course, the only thing that prevents this is the fact that the Marx Bros have been dead for quite some time. :D
  11. QuiGonHrafn Jedi Knight

star 3
    How can any fan think it is a good idea for someone else than Lucas to direct Episode III. If someone else would direct we would probably see lightsaber duel similar to Spaceballs and Padmé surviving the trilogy, becoming Mon Mothma etc. The star wars films would be nothing without Lucas. He is the reason Star Wars is this great and nobody else could direct Episode III - not even Spielberg who is the only truly talented director mentioned above.
  12. grand_admiral_ewok Jedi Master

star 4
    Ok QuiGon, well let's see...

The director has no authority on how the story actually transpires in the case of SW (unless it's GL himself directing), so if somebody else directed, that would not at all mean they could make it so Padme survives.

Secondly, Spielberg is not the only talented one there. The Coens are excellent (just watch The Man Who Wasn't There, or Fargo, and you'll realise this), the Oscar committee think highly of Ron Howard - high enough to give him the Best Director oscar, and Irvin Kershner made ESB. If you don't like Kershner's directing then it's quite probable you don't really like ESB.

However I wouldn't want to see anybody direct Episode III than Lucas, primarily because I empathise with the guy. If Spielberg directs it and it turns out excellent in the minds of the critics, Lucas's previous prequel attempts will look quite bad in comparison in their eyes, and Spielberg will emerge as the hero of the prequels (even though the other two I think are very good). If the Coens direct it, it'll be too tongue in cheek for a SW film.
    If Kershner does, the critics will act as if he is the only thing that made Star Wars any good. None of this is fair on Lucas.

Oh and the Farrelly brothers aren't bad. Can anybody tell me what they did apart from Me, Myself and Irene?
  13. SmoovBillyDee Jedi Master

star 4
    Don't count on him giving up the reigns for the final Star Wars film. That's about as likely as critics giving Star Wars a break...
  14. Korben_Dallas_ Jedi Padawan

I wish Lucas would just let Spielberg direct star wars. I mean Spielberg wanted to do one before and Lucas has let other people direct his movies before. Spielberg would fix up the acting and make the action scenes more exciting. Lucas would still be the writer and he'd still be recieving credit for creating this universe, you can't take that away. Another director would simply be some one better to bring his vision to life. Lucas is like a writer who can write it on paper but he can't project that on screen. Michael Crichton wrote Jurassic Park as well as the screenplay and he hired Spielberg to bring his vision to life. There's nothing wrong with that because Crichton knows he can't direct. Lucas thinks he can direct but in my opinion; he can't. That's why he should look to his best friend, Steven Spielberg. Lucas is the better writer, Spielberg is the better director; simple.
  15. Fat_Fett Jedi Master

star 4
    Lucas has said that he wouldn't let Spielberg direct AOTC, so I doubt he would even consider letting Spielberg direct EP 3.

However, if I had my choice between Spielberg and Irving Kershner, I'd definitely choose Kershner.

Seeing as how he directed ESB, the darkest of the SW films, masterfully.....He would be an excellent choice for director for EP 3, seeing as Lucas and McCallum have already stated that it will be a VERY dark film.

George Lucas can write, produce, and help John Wiliams with some music ideas, but he has even admitted that he himself isn't a great director.

KIRSHNER FOR EPISODE III!
  16. Pooja Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    If Lucas doesn't direct Episode III, that would be incredibly stupid. Plus, it just won't happen anyway.
  17. Fat_Fett Jedi Master

star 4
    Why would it be stupid?

Kirshner is CLEARLY the better director.

The only reason for George Lucas to direct EP 3 is so he can finish his creation....again.

But, if he directs it, at what cost? Critics and fans all hail ESB as the best of the SW saga (for the most part).

So would you really want Lucas to direct EP 3, resulting in a movie half as good as it could be, just so he could finish his saga?

Or would you like the SW saga to end on the best note possible for EVERYONE?

EDIT:
    and clearly it won't happen

Why? Lucas has directed 3 out of the 5 Star Wars movies, so why is it so clear that he won't let anyone else direct it? He let Richard Marquand direct ROTJ, which WAS the end to SW, so he wouldn't have a problem with letting someone else direct EP 3 (if he does......hopefully).

KIRSHNER FOR EPISODE III!
  18. Pooja Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Uhm, no, who KNOWS what ESB would have been like with Lucas helming it? Exactly, you don't know. We may like ESB the best, but personally, I don't. It's all a matter of taste.

And the prequels are Lucas' films to begin with. He's done I and II, so he should finish III. I don't know, it's just my stupid train of thought.
    :)
  19. Jabachile Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm not so sure 'bout Spielberg or the Coen Bros...

I'd say a more traditional, not too elaborate director should do the job. The thing is, and GL has said this, that he hates working with actors.

Sadly, it shows.

I just think a good, solid, director (nothing off the wall) should do the job. I understand that GL wants to end his baby, though. ;)
  20. MYMUTHAZ Force Ghost

star 3
    i got flamed once for it, but i'll say it again anyway...Tim Burton!
  21. Adali-Kiri Jedi Master

star 4
    Kershner is clearly the better director...?
    Let's see...he's done...The Empire Strikes Back...and...?

Robocop 2...?

Lucas has done THX 1138 (great), American Grafitti (brilliant), ANH (classic), TPM (good) and AOTC (great).

Who is *clearly* the better director?

I don't mean to bash Kershner. I just don't think Lucas gets enough credit in the comparison.

And what's up with wanting Kershner because TESB is the darkest of all the movies? Imo, it USED to be. But now it has been toppled from the throne by the darkness of AOTC. After seeing this film I have no doubt that Lucas will make a bloody fantastic Episode III. He's on a roll.

I like the fact that he is so stubborn about what he wants to do. Cool.
  22. Slave-2 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Here's my 2 cents.

Whilst I believe that Lucas should direct epIII, he should take heed of any input that
    Irvin Kershner has to offer. TESB is one of the best SW movies and I think that any input that he could contribute would be very positive for epIII.

Hree's an additional thought: Seeing as Lucas won't do the last trilogy, why doesn't he hand the reigns over to Spielberg(which would be ACE!!!). He could have all the input that he had on TESB and ROTJ, but allow Spielberg to do the task of directing, allowing Spielberg to fulfill a movie making desire that he has long harboured and letting a lot of fans see the full, definitive vision of the SW saga.
  23. Drebin Jedi Knight

star 1
    I don't think it will be possible to judge present day Lucas as a director until he directs something NON-STAR WARS. I'm sure most of you will disagree, but I think a lot of the stuff in the SW movies (especially rhe prequesls) that people find "bad" is bad by design and not accident. I am convinced that Lucas sees SW as a kind of "Amazon Women on the Moon" type series. Time and again he cites "Star Wars acting - not real world acting" - implying that there is an intent to the way the lines are delivered. I would liken it to the 60's Batman tv series - it is played stright, yet it is completely goofy. I guess I'm looking for the word campy - I think the films are intentionally campy.

Here's the rub - I don't think many "fans" (including would be directors) get this. Therefore, Kershner directs his film with much less tongue and cheek - ie a "real" movie. Unfortunately for Lucas, the fans seem to prefer taking the SW universe more seriously than he does. I love Lucas' direction because I can't take this stuff seriously. (It's what keeps me from absolutely loving Jackson's FOTR - it takes itself WAY too seriously).

That being said - if Lucas isn't trying to be campy, then he is a hack.

Drebin!
  24. Pooja Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Kershner is clearly the better director...?
    Let's see...he's done...The Empire Strikes Back...and...?

Robocop 2...?

Lucas has done THX 1138 (great), American Grafitti (brilliant), ANH (classic), TPM (good) and AOTC (great).

Who is *clearly* the better director?

I don't mean to bash Kershner. I just don't think Lucas gets enough credit in the comparison.

And what's up with wanting Kershner because TESB is the darkest of all the movies? Imo, it USED to be. But now it has been toppled from the throne by the darkness of AOTC. After seeing this film I have no doubt that Lucas will make a bloody fantastic Episode III. He's on a roll.

I like the fact that he is so stubborn about what he wants to do. Cool.

Not only that, but who is to say Kershner would do a repeat success on Episode III?

Steven Spielberg has made some bad movies (not too many) but for the effect, just because he is a great filmmaker doesn't mean he is incapable of trash.

And for all WE know, Lucas could have made ESB way better than Kershner.

I mean, who's to say? None of us.
  25. Captain-Dac Jedi Padawan

Just as long as Joe Johnston doesn't do Ep 3, I'm happy
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.