Lucas: "No more movies."

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by TCG, Oct 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TCG Jedi Knight

star 2
    http://www.variety.com/VR1117951284.html
  2. AdamBertocci Manager

Manager
    star 7
    This, like the box office gross of ROTS, is one of those cases where I hope he predicts wrong. It would be awful for the theatrical feature to lose ground.

Rick McCallum loves you!
  3. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Well, TV is arguably a better storytelling medium..more time to cover things in a season of shows than in a couple hours of movie.

So we'll see.
  4. guittarjedi Jedi Master

star 4
    After the prequels, he probably realized that he's lost his touch so he's "packing it in."
  5. Cryogenic Force Ghost

star 4
    Lucas could be right, but it will be a sad day when the big budget feature film dies out. What we need is intelligence, beauty and humanity brought back into the crowd-pleasers. We need more TESB's and ET's and less MI's and X3's. We need scale, innovation and quality. It was there once and it could be there again.
  6. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    The healthy existence of the prequel trilogy forum would probably care to disagree with you about that.

And frankly, feature films are on their way out. Cable TV shows are swiftly surpassing full-scale films for originality and quality. (At least, IMO)
  7. MaGnUs Darklighter Jedi Knight

star 1
    Well, I love George as much as the next guy, but remember when, along with Steven Spielberg, they promoted a different format than DVD? What happened to that, George?
  8. lovelucas Force Ghost

star 4
    the PT returned me to the theater...and I've seen many, many more films these past few years than I had in an entire decade earlier. and I will always always be willing to spend the $ to see a film I can potentially love on the big screen with big sound without a pause button.

I do wonder about George's statement there - what happened to the push to theater owners to improve their equipment? To invest money into a better product to keep competitive, not to mention to see the films as the director intended....
  9. G-FETT Chosen One

star 7
    I have a feeling that deep down George is very bitter and cynical about the way he and his Prequel movie's were treated and the film industry in general. Of course, we all know what happened with SAG, and I think his general contempt for the film industry has been growing ever since (in fact, its been there since he made THX)

Whether his bleak assesment of the future of cinema ever becomes reality, remains to be seen. Personally, I think there will ALWAYS been a market for some sort of film industry, but the glory days may well be over....
  10. JohnWesleyDowney Force Ghost

star 5
    I agree with you GFETT. There's a whiff of sour grapes
    about George's statement. I've defended George many times
    for many things and I love a lot of what he's done, but I've
    noticed over the last few years he's had a tendency to
    "pronounce" what's coming for the industry and I don't care
    for it. It's no longer your parade, George.

Well I'm sorry George but just because you're moving your
    focus to TV doesn't mean everyone else is. That awful
    Pirates of the Carribean sequel made over a billion dollars
    this summer, earning far more than any of your SW prequels (prequels, which
    by the way, I loved) as did the Lord of the Rings films and
    the Harry Potter series. The film industry is always healthy
    as long as they make good, entertaining films that satisfy
    an audience.

Also Mr. Lucas, stop talking out of both sides of your mouth,
    you're telling us you're getting out of the feature film biz
    at the same time you keep promising us a 4th Indiana Jones film.

:rolleyes:

Now that FLY BOYS is out and did lousy (though I thought it was
    a great film) I'll bet one of the feature films you're abandoning
    was that project about the Muskogee airmen which featured similar
    subject matter.

I think it's interesting he's getting out of the film biz, when
    his two franchises are finally out of gas, feature-film wise.
    Out of movie ideas George?

I think it's a little early to do an obit on the feature film biz.

11. G-FETT Chosen One

star 7
    I think I may have come across as over-critical of George in my last post. I don't think he is trying to be offensive, I think he is just very jaded (with some reason it has to be said) about how things are going in the film industry right now.

I don't think the days of the Blockbuster are over forever (and I doubt thats what George is saying) but I think we may start going back to what it was like years ago, when there was only 1 or 2 big budget blockbusters released every summer. I think the "Glory Days" of the blockbuster, when there was one released every couple of weeks, all through summer, may be be burning itself out and the reason is that the vast majority of these blockbusters are complete and total drivel that struggle to make money.

The big change these days is that ANYBODY can become a filmaker. All the tools are out there to make a movie and with the Internet the technology is there to show it off to the world without having to involve studio's or distributors. Thats not going to kill off the film industry, but it is going to change it. A golden era of the Independent filmaker is dawning and I think this is essentially what Lucas is getting at.
  12. G-FETT Chosen One

star 7
  13. Jumpman Jedi Master

star 4
    Seems to always happen to Lucas. Even with the misquote, you could still read between the lines of what he was saying in that article.
  14. Cryogenic Force Ghost

star 4
    From that article:

Wise move. "Superman Returns" cost twice as much as any of the prequels, yet I thought it was only a tenth as good. Whether you agree with my opinion or not, the hard facts cannot be ignored: it hasn't made its budget back domestically. By contrast, all of the prequels turned a profit. George knows how to limit his spending and use that money to optimum effect.
  15. DVeditor Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Thanks for that link - we had a topic on this in Fan Films and I'm glad to see more info coming out. :)
  16. AdamBertocci Manager

Manager
    star 7
    FAN FILMS MOD PARTY IN LFL :p

Interesting. Although, George, would it have killed you to say a little more about the other big features you have in mind? :p

Rick McCallum loves you!
  17. Darth_Sorah Jedi Master

star 1
    While we are on the topic of money...Has anyone ever seen the "In One Minute" Segment on the ROTS DVD that literally takes them years to finish, with millions of dollars going into that scene was it? Also, if you have looked at anything at all on any of the tapes, or DVD's you can see how much time it took to make all of everything. And with time comes money, and yea there was a lot of money going into it all.

So yea, just my input, when something else comes along good, I will be back. And if someone replies to this, I will be back...
  18. spasticewok Jedi Knight

star 1
    It is my strongest wish that our beloved universe doesn't end here. Everything is great, but I just hate to see it go. WHen I heard that Lucas was doing a PT i had something to look forward to, but now what is there, sure a couple TV shows but it won't be the same.
  19. angellla29 Jedi Padawan

I hope mr.Lucas will be continued the STar Wars saga with episode VII....If he didn't do that much more saddeness will be in his fan's hearts!

Excuse plz my english!
  20. Boba16 Jedi Youngling

star 2
    This is just Lucas talking about what HE is doing and how it advances his agenda now that he is going to the TV route.

Remember in '02 & '05 the big push for digital theaters to change the movie industry as he shot AOTC & ROTS in that format? How come Lucas is not championing that movement anymore? Because his SW movies are done, and he could care less about digital movies unless he does 7,8,9.

Lucas is moving into TV now and that is why he is the saying the summer blockbuster is dying, and in some ways I do agree that the over bloated budgets of the past 10 years have contributed to the overall mediocrity in the movies every summmer, but less George forget that the PT was exhibit A to that mediocrity. CG, CG, CG, it should be renamed CGOC for Computer Generated Obsessed George. Hey George, how about some real location environments in ROTS rather then all bluescreen?
  21. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    How about not presenting opinion as fact? Might be a good place to start. ;)
  22. Boba16 Jedi Youngling

star 2

If you disagree with any of my facts, no excuse me, my opinions, how about rebutting them instead of just giving me sarcasm.
  23. SweiitConcorkill Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Because your Lucas bashing is so thick around here it borders on the ridiculous.
  24. Lavaman Jedi Master

star 4
    Actually, there were real location Shots with CG/miniatures mixed in(Kashyyk, Alderaan, volcanic eruptions on Mustafar); it wasn't all CG. The other planets all required CG/miniatures, since there are no locations on Earth that looked like them. Does the phrase, a Galaxy far far away ring a bell? It would be pretty boring if Lucas just rehased the same old dessert/snow locations.
  25. darth-blaze Jedi Master

star 4
    I think is all a hype, he is probably setting everybody up.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.