main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lucas: "No more movies."

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by TCG, Oct 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sinnion

Sinnion Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 24, 2006
    GL has a sixth sense for predicting the direction cinema entertainment. He knows what he's doing. His statments make a hella sense too.

2. Dark_Faith

Dark_Faith Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 30, 2004
    Yeah, he should have shot Coruscant in San Fransisco!

3. __Vader__

__Vader__ Jedi Master star 3

May 23, 2005
    Although it is sad to see the decline of cinema, I think that the man is right. Hopefully we can start to see some awesome new TV shows that span longer storylines and get deeper into the plot than a two hour movie.

4. darthnuisance

darthnuisance Jedi Master star 3

Jun 29, 2002
    Episode III isn't the last 'Star Wars' film.
    The one thing that fuels Hollywood (and has since the very get-go) is money.
    I'm certain that in the next fifty years, someone will take away film rights from George Lucas posthumously.
    These films are nest eggs waiting to hatch. The stories are there. KOTOR's proven that.

Some young director will carry on this crazy Star Wars business, and the world will hopefully be better for it.

5. RebellionSoldier

RebellionSoldier Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 12, 2006
    Actually, I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that Lucas may let someone else take a shot at a Star Wars film. But it would be someone he trusts and knows very well...not just some person who wanted to make money off the franchise. I'd say Steven Spielberg definently. Since SS was supposed to direct one of the OT movies anyway (I think it was ROTJ).

But this is years away I'm sure. It's going to be like the time between ROTJ and TPM (maybe not THAT long...since GL is already old). I think SW has lost its vision though, Lucas needs to bring in some new blood and opinions to shake things up.

6. Clonuscant

Clonuscant Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 6, 2005
    I can easily understand why "Uncle George" might feel a little "doom-and-gloom" about cinema's future. This week we have the CES in Las Vegas and MacWorld Expo at San Francisco and he probably looks at stuff like that and watches Jobs and Gates advancing the medium of home and portable digital entertainment, and wonders how the movies can compete against that. I mean, Apple will be announcing an iTV product this week that allows entertainment on computers to be transferred somehow to the telly. Nevermind what that means for movies, what does that mean for DVDs even?

Which is why the movies have to begin offering stuff that you Just. Can't. Get. at home or in the palm of your hand. What is that? 3-D. Now I know a lot of people are skeptical about 3-D, but remember, people were skeptical about "moving pictures", one century ago.

For this past century, movies have been wildly successful because they could absorb their audiences into their stories and worlds. One after the other, a genre would take the movies to the next level and people would be completely lost (in a good way) in the film once again and then the studios would try to replicate that until that same genre saw another film that elevated it to another level. But, now? Are we scraping the roof? Now, filmmakers have to think out of the box. Or... out of the screen. 3-D. 3-D is the next great immersive adventure cinema will have to offer the world. The question is... can Hollywood... or Bollywood... or any of the great moviemaking centres, grasp that magic before cinema descends to an inferor level compared to portable and home entertainment?

CGI is still up and coming... Digital filmmaking, too... it's a leap but I feel, too short of a leap.

Just imagine... a 3-D ANH beginning... and the ISD Devastator glides DIRECTLY OVER YOUR HEAD and not just on the screen. You look up.... BAM! the pimpled surface of the ISD's underbelly is also a ceiling.

7. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Well, we know at some point in the future we're going to get a digitally projected 3D Star Wars Saga on the big screen, so if your right, once again Lucas is probably leading the way.

I've nothing really against 3D, but I really, really, don't like wearing those stupid glasses. If there was a way of showing a 3D movie, so that you don't have to wear 3D glasses, I would be very excited about it.

8. Clonuscant

Clonuscant Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 6, 2005
    Steven Spielberg announced back in 2005 he was working on it/investing in it.... something about plasma screens instead of what they have now and not having to wear the glasses. I agree with you, though, those glasses suck. Once they can make 3-D a reality without the glasses, cinema's up and onto the next frontier.

9. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Those *&&%$%$ glasses are horrid. They hurt. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.