LA, CA Lucas on KTLA news

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by klingklang, Jun 1, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. klingklang Force Ghost

star 5
    Did anyone watch the 10pm news on KTLA (the 31 May broadcast)? Mindy did her entertainment report from the Playboy Mansion and Lucas was standing right next to her, plus they were surrounded by a bunch of Playboy women. If anyone knows Mindy, then you know Lucas wasn't able to say much expect "Back to you, Hal."

It was...odd.
  2. bright sith Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    KTLA, KTLA, that's channel 5? Can't remember anymore, need to go home....

I think Lucas is appearing for the MTV movie awards btw...
  3. klingklang Force Ghost

star 5
    Yep, KTLA is channel 5.

I haven't seen the MTV Movie Awards yet (I know they taped Saturday, but I don't know if it's been broadcast). Lucas was indeed there, though.
  4. rookie Jedi Knight

star 2
    oh man, that was way weird. i couldn't stop laughing when he popped up amongst the playboy bunnies.
  5. eem23 Jedi Knight

klinklang are u a kraftwerk fan?
  6. klingklang Force Ghost

star 5
    eem23: Why, yes I am. You found me out. :D

rookie: *waves* Hi stranger! Yes, wasn't that the funniest thing you've seen? I wish I taped it.
  7. rookie Jedi Knight

star 2
    klingklang, hey there! i thought it was funny AND weird, all at the same time. i never pictured george to be the type to hang out with the bunnies.

by the way, have you heard the new Air album? it's just amazing, you have to listen to it. i just got my tickets for the concert!
  8. klingklang Force Ghost

star 5
    You know, I've actually come across interviews with a lot of former Playboy models who claim to have dated Lucas. So it would seem he has a thing for Bunnies. :D

And I love the new Air! Have you been to the album's official site? It's so cool. You can play pong there. And which night are you going to the Mayan? I'm going to the Thursday show. Sebastien Tellier is opening too! I'm so excited.

And you coming up to SB to see Radiohead?
  9. rookie Jedi Knight

star 2
    hrm, lucas certainly seems to like the bunnies!

anyhow, yes i'm going to the mayan! but, i'm going on the wednesday show. :( i think sherrie is going the same day you are, but i'm not sure. how come everyone is going to the second show! argh.

no, i won't be seeing radiohead, i haven't even bought amnesiac yet. i've been listening to a few tracks, and i don't exaclty like all of them so i havne't decided if it's all worth it.
  10. klingklang Force Ghost

star 5
    Aww...I'll miss you. I just opted for Thursday because it's the last show of the US tour, so I thought they would make it special or goof around a bit more.

And shame on you for not getting Amnesiac. ;) But really, if you don't like it, I can't blame you for not buying it. Regardless, I think they're still interesting to see live.

Did you go see Sigur Ros at the John Anson? That was so incredible, despite the presence of an annoying police helicopter with a spotlight. I think it scared the band.

And say hi to Sherrie for me :)
  11. rookie Jedi Knight

star 2
    see, the reason i chose the first show was cause i figured they might do something different since it was the first LA show. silly us.

amnesiac is growing on me, so i might still buy it...who knows. i've been very frugal lately with music.

and i can't believe you've heard of Sigur Rós! i just found out about them a few weeks ago from a friend and have heard only a few songs here and there, really good i think. sometimes it makes me sleepy though, hehehe, but i didn't see them at the anson.

i will say hi to sherrie for you. :)
  12. klingklang Force Ghost

star 5
    Well, we'll just have to compare notes after each Air show and see what the differences were :)

That's great that you recently heard Sigur Ros. I found out about them from one of the Radiohead message boards. Last year, Sigur Ros opened for Radiohead in Europe and everyone said they were quite impressive. And I'm always curious about those Euro bands, so I bought the UK import (it was pretty cheap, so I couldn't resist). The tour they did last month was only about a week long, so very few people saw them. But they said they'll come back to the States again this year so hopefully you can see them then.
  13. rookie Jedi Knight

star 2
    well we've pretty much commandeered this thread haven't we?

i love me those euro bands...lately i've been listening to thievery corporation and autour de lucie. any other suggestions?
  14. bright sith Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Yes, the evil dou has taken away this thread. OFF TOPIC!!! :D

On the otherhand, I think I'll try to finally go to the John Williams concert at the Hollywood Bowl.
  15. klingklang Force Ghost

star 5
    But at least we're talking about things happening in LA--well, kind of :)

If you go to the Bowl show, sith, please tell us how it went.

rookie: Oooh, Autour de Lucie is some beautiful stuff. But there aren't too many acts I can think of that are similar--just the usual Everything But the Girl, Komeda, St. Etienne, and the like. And Thievery Corporation is really nice too. Along those lines, anything on Pork is fab (Fila Brazillia and Baby Mammoth especially), along with Kruder & Dorfmeister (and their offshoots like Peace Orchestra and Tosca). Other ones that are really good are Lemon Jelly or Mellow. I also just got the new Mint Royale and I love that one.
  16. rookie Jedi Knight

star 2
    i downloaded two tracks from Mint Royale's latest (From Rushmore With Love & Don't Falter)...totally digging it. it's just one more album to add to the ever-growing list of cd's to buy this year.

obviously, i still need to buy Sigur Rós, the new Travis, and perhaps Amensiac also as it's growing on me. i can't afford any of this!!!
  17. klingklang Force Ghost

star 5
    Yes, my list of CDs I want is insane. Wish I could have them all!

I haven't had a chance to pick up the new Travis. And I heard the midnight sale at Sunset Virgin was a madhouse (about 300 people?).
  18. rookie Jedi Knight

star 2
    dude, i'm so mad at myself! i just found out that Travis is playing a concert at the Virgin Megastore down Sunset this friday...and if i had bought the album on monday there, i would have gotten a pass to see 'em.

but now all the passes are gone...and they were gonna sign copies of the album too!
  19. Kahunna Jedi Padawan

I was recently introduced to Air and have been a closet-fan (a.k.a no concerts) of RaioHead. This thread intrigues me. I absolutely fell in love with RadioHead's Kid A and Anesiac is almost as brilliant. What sort of style are the bands you have mentioned? Sigur Ros? Thievery Corporation? Autor De Lucie? Are they more similar to Air or RH?

I'm at a "KILL THE DJ" stage and like to hear good music that doesn't get radio play (here in the States, at least).
  20. rookie Jedi Knight

star 2
    new convert!

anyhow, autour de lucie is sorta french pop...but ten times better than the bubble-gum pop we hear. thievery corporation is electronica...i guess? i'm not good at classifying music. if you like fatboy slim, i suppose you'll enjoy thievery corporation. maybe klingklang can get more specific.

sigur ros is just in a category all by themselves. they're an icelandic band that's just...amazing. here's a link to a review of their album: http://pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/s/sigur-ros/agaetis-byrjun.shtml
  21. klingklang Force Ghost

star 5
    Your description is excellent, rookie. And Kahunna, Godspeed You Black Emperor! is another good one to check out if you find yourself digging Sigur Ros. Both of these bands are more in the RH Kid A style.

Sorry you didn't make the midnight sale rookie. A friend of mine went and said it was pretty nuts. And you had to choose between getting a wristband for the show or for the signing--not both. Bummer! Travis did the same thing in SF on Tuesday and the show was open to all (wristbands were only needed for the signing). By the way, the Virgin thingee is Thursday and to console yourself (and me), Travis will be on Kilborn this Friday. And also, Doves are supposed to be on Kilborn Thursday, in case you like them (I do :D ).
  22. rookie Jedi Knight

star 2
    i would have probably gone for the cd signing. thanks for the heads up about their appearance on craig kilborn, i'll definately have to check it out.

i wanted to catch the Doves on kilborn to see what they were about since you have such great taste in music, but i was busy and just realized i missed it right now. i'll have to look 'em up on cdnow.com and listen to some samples.
  23. klingklang Force Ghost

star 5
    I would have went for the signing as well. Apparently the show was open to all regardless. One may not have been able to be up front, but it sounds like it was easy to hang out on the second level (opposite the Sunset 5) and watch from above.

Did you catch Kilborn? They played "Sing" (of course). And I saw something in the Viper ad in this week's LA Weekly where the band listed was called ? What and underneath that was written "It Always Rains On Them". So that seems like played a show there this evening. Haven't heard any reports though.

But I saw Doves at the Palace last night and that was so awesome. I just love these guys so much. Sound-wise, they are psychedelic, spacey, Beatles/Spiritualized-ish Brit rock. Try and check out the songs "Sea Song," "The Cedar Room," "Firesuite," "Rise" or "The Man Who Told Everything."

And did you see Air added a third show to the Mayan? Wow. It's the day before your show (they were supposed to play SF that night, but I guess the interest wasn't there).
  24. rookie Jedi Knight

star 2
    yeesh, again i completely forgot that travis was on kilborn last night! actually i was way too caught up with the whole laker fiasco...the boys are bringing it home! thankfully no one flipped over police cars or burned down the staples center, that's just plain embarrassing.

i'll definately check that stuff out from the Doves. you haven't yet steered me wrong. ;) and no, i hadn't heard about Air adding that show...how can there be no interest?! i'm looking forward to the concert.
  25. klingklang Force Ghost

star 5
    I think LA avoided the post-Laker win riot this year by the fact they won back east. Despite the fact that people were in Staples watching the game, I think the rush wasn't as strong as it would have been had they witnessed the game in person. But I wonder how the parade will be this morning? Are you going rookie?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.