main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lucas on the Star Wars TV Projects Siggraph 2005!!

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by AnakinBrego, Aug 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnakinBrego

AnakinBrego Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 15, 2004
    http://comingsoon.net/news/topnews.php?id=10626

Variety says George Lucas addressed 4,000 computer pros at the annual Siggraph computer graphics conference and tradeshow in Los Angeles on Monday. He confirmed that Lucasfilm is already at work on the two "Star Wars" TV series.

The first is a 3-D animated "Clone Wars" series that will be made at Lucas Animation's Singapore facility. He said he'll start scouring Asia for talent and try to build up 3-D animation there. "It's also a way for me to get my foot into anime, which I like," Lucas said.

For the live-action series, he said, "we're going do something that would normally cost ($20 million-$30 million) and try to do it for $1 million," citing The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles as one show where he was able to stretch his production budget.

He said he'll shoot the series on a Sony digital camera system that anyone can buy at an electronics store.

2. RevantheJediMaster

RevantheJediMaster Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2005
    Cool there was really no big news on the Clone Wars 3D Animated Series that we didn't know but for the upcoming Star Wars Live Action TV Series okay so if GL is already working on the Live Action TV Series I'm expecting it by at least Fall 2007 or maybe Fall 2006. I'm guessing it is not going to have the greatest special effects with a 1 million dollar budget but you never know. TV Series are more about the characters than the special effects. Thanks for the news AnakinBrego.

3. FloridaFilmGuy

FloridaFilmGuy Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 1, 2000
    Shoot it with a camera anyone can buy at a store?

Oh boy...... don't like the sound of that too much....

4. DavBacca

DavBacca Jedi Master star 2

Jun 13, 2002
    Am I the only one that thinks this is going to look cheaper than a soap opera? I don't care about special effects but can't it look as good as any other show?

5. RevantheJediMaster

Jun 12, 2005
    I don't know he might have been just kidding about using a camera you could buy from a store to show that he's going to be on a budget. I personally think he was kidding what do you guys think?

6. RevantheJediMaster

Jun 12, 2005
    If GL is going to use a consumer camcorder he should at least use the top of the line HD Camcorders. If GL does not use HD Camcorders get the second best video quality camcorder you can buy.

7. Tho Yor

Tho Yor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    The Sony HDV format is one that consumers can buy (though it is by no means cheap, thus it's more pro-sumer than anything else), so I think it's possible they will use that. It will give a high definition image but it'll be on a relatively small camera (you've all seen the AOTC webdoc about how bulky the HD camera was). This will not really impact the image, instead it'll allow for more mobile filmmaking and not require a batallion of people to operate the camera, thus saving money in the end, which will hopefully be put towards a decent FX budget.

8. ROTS_Obi1

ROTS_Obi1 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 16, 2005
    A 1 million dollar budget!?!?!?!? This sucks! He has to be kidding!

9. RevantheJediMaster

Jun 12, 2005
    Good points grand_admiral_ewok GL will also probably go over 1 million dollars if he has to. 1 million is just his goal he said he's trying to make a TV Series that would usaully cost 20-30 million dollars for 1 million dollars. I'm sure it will be a good quality TV Series. I'm expecting it to come out now at least by Fall 2007 or maybe even by Fall 2006.

10. Darthsuggs

Darthsuggs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    I for one am excited. If he succeeds at making good quality stuff for that cheap it'll open new windows for independent film makers.

11. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Keep in mind most sci-fi shows cost between 1 to 2 million an episode to produce, so it's not that an outrageous of a budget. Not to mention a lot of the CGI models and stuff are already built from the film productions and Lucas has his ILM discount card ;)

In other words- that's about what I expected the budget per episode to be.

12. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    "The Blair Sith Project"

13. RevantheJediMaster

Jun 12, 2005
    I'm expecting it to come out earlier now. I think this would be a good schedule but I doubt this will happen. I also think they are going to film the TV Series with a top of the line HD Camcorder.

Fall 2005:Write all the episodes

Winter 2005:Film all the episodes

Spring and Summer 2006:add effects and finish it up

Fall 2006:TV Series comes out

14. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    Well, GL said that he's commited to Indy 4 now. So I don't think we'll be seeing the live actions show in 2006, I say 2007 at the earliest

15. RevantheJediMaster

Jun 12, 2005
    I know but isn't GL waiting for a Indy 4 script he likes or is he writng it himself now. If he is waiting for the right script he could start writng the episodes in his spare time if he has any.

16. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    I could have sworn I heard they had a script they were happy with. I could be wrong though.

17. RevantheJediMaster

Jun 12, 2005

18. RevantheJediMaster

Jun 12, 2005
    I checked it out and a script has been approved by Lucas and Speilberg for Indiana Jones 4.

19. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    True, but my point is that I don't think GL is going to be doing any writing, let alone any actual filming until Indy 4 is out.

20. RevantheJediMaster

Jun 12, 2005
    An article on Variety that came out in April 2005 GL said that they wouldn't begin working on the Star Wars Live Action TV Series till next year. So that means he'll probably start working on the upcoming Star Wars Live Action TV Series in maybe early 2006 or Spring 2006. So that also means probably a Summer 2007 release or Fall 2007 release. Who knows for sure though besides probably GL. The article on GL's Siggraph 2005 presenatation did say that GL confirmed that Lucasfilms was already at work on the Clone Wars 3D Animatd Series coming out in Fall 2007 and on the upcoming Star Wars Live Action TV Series.

21. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Revan- that schedule isn't very likely as there'd be a longer pre-production time period. I wouldn't expect them to even start casting until sometime next year.

22. RevantheJediMaster

Jun 12, 2005
    I'm guessing in either early 2006 or Spring 2006 now. It did say on the article about GL'S Siggraph 2005 presenataion that he confirmed that Lucasfilms was already working on the Clone Wars 3D Animated Series coming out in Fall 2007 and on the upcoming Star Wars Live Action TV Series.

23. Tagne

Tagne Jedi Youngling

Jul 17, 2005
    I will be pleased if these dates are true, but I think the best is to wait until an official date (for the live-action TV series)...

24. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 27, 1999
    A one million dollar budget is very worrysome when you consider that the standard episode of 'Friends' near the end of the series cost at least six million per episode.

25. RevantheJediMaster

Jun 12, 2005
    Early 2006 or Spring 2006 are my guesses for when they will start casting for the upcoming Star Wars Live Action TV Series. It did say on the article about GL'S Siggraph 2005 presenataion that he confirmed that Lucasfilms was already working on the Clone Wars 3D Animated Series coming out in Fall 2007 and on the upcoming Star Wars Live Action TV Series.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.