main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lucas' Original Concept-- Palpatine as Anakin's Father

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Noel-Gallagher, Apr 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SupremeChancellor

SupremeChancellor Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 19, 2005
    It would have been strange for Luke and Leia to be the grandchildren of Emperor Palpatine...

2. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Yeah too much the same as ESB

3. Magic_Al

Magic_Al Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 18, 2003
    An amusing part of the Revenge/Return of the Jedi story is the ripple effect. When Paramount thought it was Revenge of the Jedi, they were afraid Vengence of Kahn would be too similar, so Star Trek II became Wrath of Kahn, needlessly as it turned out.

This thread is now going to a place I cannot follow. :D

4. Nona_Cad

Nona_Cad Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 27, 2004
    Okay, I have no way of verifying so I'll just repeat what I read once (which mean it's about as canon as EU): GL leaked the title Revenge of the Sith to catch bootleg merchandise.

Personally, I don't completely buy that reason, but I know GL has been quoted as saying "Jedi don't take revenge."

5. Leias_love_slave

Leias_love_slave Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2003
    MasterWeYa, regarding the 'Revenge of the Jedi' title change - you're both right. :)

Over the years, 'official sources' have given conflicting explanations about the change in the title. The version you're standing by is only their most recent explanation.

No one should be surprised. This isn't the first time official SW sources contradicted each other.

What I find interesting is that both the idea of Dooku engineering Shmi's death, and Palpatine being Anakin's 'father' were brought up on these boards a very long time ago.

Coincidence? [face_thinking]

6. CantStandLiberals

CantStandLiberals Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 4, 2005
    "Where are you going with this?"

"This thread is now going to a place I cannot follow."

Who's the more foolish? The fool or the fool who follows him?

7. MasterWiYa

MasterWiYa Jedi Youngling star 3

May 13, 2004
    I don't know who is the more foolish....

That doesn't really apply to our situation, since neither you nor I is a "fool" and neither of us therefore followed a fool.

And yes, I get the SW reference.

8. Ophidiophobic75

Ophidiophobic75 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 6, 2005
    How about we get back on topic here and forget about Revenge of the Jedi

9. Ophidiophobic75

Apr 6, 2005
    There is another thread here that has a quote saying that there is a plot twist about the Skywalker family that is not in any of publications anyone know what I'm talking about? Well anyway everyone on that thread was pretty convinced

10. Xyber_Hex

Xyber_Hex Jedi Master star 4

Jan 3, 2004
    The worst part is now we will have to hear this drivel from fanboys for the next gods know how long when the bottom line is, it is all non existant.
    It didnt make it to the film so it was deemed not good enough or just plain retarded.

11. Green_Destiny_Sword

Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost star 5

Jun 20, 2001
    So I suppose Palptaine also arranged for Anakin to be conveived by Shmi and grow up as a slave. And then he rigged the cruiser Qui Gon was on to force a landing when Ani was 9.

Man, Palps is the greatest.

Enough of these contrived plots!! Let's give GL props for cutting this out!

12. Meatypants

Meatypants Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    But the topic is so douche-chill-inducing...

Let's talk about Mandalorians! Or Nsync! Maybe Nsync are playing Mandalorians!

13. DarthTapion

DarthTapion Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 29, 2004
    But that would ruin the whole imperfect Jesus analogy that Lucas had made. I mean, Anakin represents what the non-idealisitc, meaning how Jesus was if he was imperfect. Having the Devil(aka Palps) ruisn this because it explains why Jesus was imperfect. However, by not having Palps has his father, it shows that Jesus was imperfect because he was human, and humans are imperfect.

14. Nona_Cad

Dec 27, 2004
    Well, part of me is glad it's cut, but now we might just have to put up with the incessant, "I TOLD YOU SO, PALPS IS THE ROXXOR DAD DUDE OF ANAK!N1!!!@!"

I personally disregard all drafts (including final) and accept on the films as "true canon." Screw that other stuff.

15. Ophidiophobic75

Apr 6, 2005
    I wish it would be in the movie all you people who dont like the idea are looking at it from an ESB comes first in the saga point of view. If you start watching it form the prequels then the whole sock of finding out vader is luke's dada is gone with this it would add that feel back in

16. dominateur123

dominateur123 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 30, 2005
    it shouldnt have been kept cause the prohapy said that the chosen was was to be born by a virgin mother, in other words he didnt have a father

17. Ophidiophobic75

Apr 6, 2005
    Here's an interesting article:
    http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/books/04/05/books.starwars.ap/

heres the part I find interesting:
    Stover acknowledges that the novel gives away much of the film's story, but doesn't worry that fans will be satisfied by the book alone. He considers "Star Wars" a modern myth, less about a surprise plot twist than about the experience, shared with millions, of seeing a story told over and over.

18. Jedihillis

Jedihillis Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2003
    Man, I'm sooooooo glad this was cut. I think it woulda cheezed it up way too much and also taken away from the revelation in Ep.5. Smart move GL. Very smart.

19. Leias_love_slave

Leias_love_slave Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2003
    I personally disregard all drafts (including final) and accept on the films as "true canon." Screw that other stuff.

Heck, I don't even trust the films.

(I could have sworn Sebastian Shaw used to have eyebrows.)

20. Master_Shaitan

Master_Shaitan Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2004
    I think it should have been left it.

GL has already given the force credibilty by inventing midichlorians, why wouldnt anakins origins be explained too? Plus this will make his story more about human spirit than destiny. The will of the force would have had too much influence. With this its down to anakin. he makes the choices. Maybe it wont be cut after all. I dont know what to believe anymore.

Hail ants!

21. Darth Fierce

Darth Fierce Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 6, 2000
    I don't want to get off topic again, but it's important to note, as seen in The Cinema of George Lucas, Lucas's own personal yellow notepad said "Revenge of the Jedi" in his own writing. So unless he was trying to fool himself as well, he did intend that to be the title at one point.

22. Master_Shaitan

Master_Shaitan Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2004
    All explained in the bonus OT DVD. He called it return of the jedi. Fox didnt like it. he changed it to revenge up until a month before release. changed it back to retun as jedi dont seek revenge.. the end!

23. TheCat

TheCat Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2001
    "Welcome young Skywalker. I'm looking forward to completing your training. In time you will call me....Grandad"

24. Nona_Cad

Dec 27, 2004
    I don't want to get off topic again, but it's important to note, as seen in The Cinema of George Lucas, Lucas's own personal yellow notepad said "Revenge of the Jedi" in his own writing. So unless he was trying to fool himself as well, he did intend that to be the title at one point.

I have really nothing to say for rebuttal so:

NUH UH!!!

25. JaporSnippet

JaporSnippet Jedi Master star 2

Mar 24, 2005
    PALPATINE: I thought not. It's not a story the Jedi would tell you. It's a Sith legend. Darth Plagueis was a Dark Lord of the Sith, so powerful and so wise he could use the Force to influence the midi-chlorians to create life ... He had such a knowledge of the dark side that he could even keep the ones he cared about from dying.

I think Lucas still to imply that somehow the Sith can create life thru the mid-chlorians, it might be a hint that Sidious "created" Anakin... But I don't agree with this...

Off topic, as Anakin was created by the force itself, it explains to me why he was able to appear as the force ghost in ROTJ.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.