main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

BTS Lucas Quotes and Interviews about the starwars saga.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Keeper_of_Swords, May 22, 2004.

1. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    George Lucas on his version of the ST.

2. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    What the? Is this legit? If so, why is this not bigger?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  3. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Like the tweet stated, it comes from the companion book to James Cameron's Story of Science Fiction series which is legit.

InterestingLurker and Ewok Poet like this.
  4. Darth Dookacas

Darth Dookacas Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2014
    I think it is kind of funny that people booed Lucas out of the saga then cried he should comeback only to find out he was going to expand the story of midiclorians? That is hilarious!!!

5. Mindless Monster

Mindless Monster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 4, 2014
    In ROTS it is implied that Anakin was brought to life by manipulating midichlorians, so he wasn't exactly shying away from the subject after TPM. I think doubling down on the concept and expanding the mythology of the force would've been a lot more interesting and yes more controversial than regurgitating the themes and plot points from the OT.

6. Darth Dookacas

Darth Dookacas Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2014
    If GL made this new trilogy people would have hated it. Even GL knows that. The problem Star Wars is having right now, is not moving on. We don’t need to know the background of everything.The force being explained further would be a very bad idea. I understand your point of view but I believe the Star Wars franchise should move faaaaaaaaaaaaar away from the saga films. They need to make films that are all new characters and new time frame. After Episode 9 go with a new story and even if it fails it will be better than explaining the OT and PT over and over again.

MaciekRS and Tosche_Station like this.
  7. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    This gives more context to those quotes:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  8. CowMoo

CowMoo Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2001
    An interesting context to the discussion on George Lucas' vision on Star Wars in the sequel trilogy. An article on this appeared in arstechnica.com and there was the impression that it was going to be jedis shrunken into the cellular level. The context, however, gives me a different take. It would have still been Star Wars (with normal sized beings) but would have explored further on the Force from a religious and scientific perspective. It probably would have gone into why there needed to be "balance in the Force" or if the Force itself has some kind of will or desire that plays itself out in the macro, Star Wars universe. The sequel trilogy in The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi has stayed away from anything too descriptive about the Force; retaining the original trilogy definition of Force in vague terms as a kind of mystical superglue of the universe.

Hard to say what the George Lucas sequel trilogy films would have looked like, but I have the sense that it would have followed the prequel trilogy in tone and feel. Some heady, intellectual discussions about galactic politics and the nature of the Force with some battles against some antagonist or other. Probably a Sith or some evil attempting to corrupt the Force.

9. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    As if the ridiculousness of the article's title wasn't enough, that's what they actually assumed from what Lucas said?

[​IMG]

10. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Oh the possibilities...

11. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    Any mention of Force "FaceTime"?

Tosche_Station likes this.
  12. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    "They continually speak to us, telling us the Whill of the Force."

- Qui-Gon Jinn

;)

13. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    For some reason, people take 'microbiotic world' to mean that the Whills are literally tiny beings and characters would have shrunk or something. I assume it would have been more like characters going into Mortis-like places with some kind of spiritual or metaphorical journey for our characters. Too bad I don't have this book, the interview with Lucas is around 40 pages if you want to know more.

14. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I don't get that, either. I mean, the Whills might actually be tiny, but it's likely that they would've appeared to the protagonists in some spectral form (possibly as Priestesses, or just voices in a dreamlike landscape), because that would be the only way for them to communicate directly in a way that we can understand.
    ...or maybe Anakin and the other Jedi ghosts would've served as their spokesmen/avatars.

It's also possible that the Wellspring of Life would've appeared in the trilogy, if the story was meant to get into the origins of everything.

I would LOVE to read those 40 pages, BTW!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  15. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Indeed. This could've been incredible (or a total disaster) Wish it could've happened.

16. -LordSkywalker-

-LordSkywalker- Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    I feel the same although considering what we got is pretty much the worst imo, it is with added regret he didn’t “finish what he started”. ;)

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  17. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2012
    I'd love to see a comic adaption of his ideas for the sequel trilogy, like the way Dark Horse made The Star Wars based off the original Episode IV screenplay. I highly doubt it would ever happen though.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  18. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Wow, I just saw that snippet about Lucas's ST. That makes me want to go back and watch TPM again!

19. DarthTalonx

DarthTalonx Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2014

If only we had seen his trilogy and had one saga. Oh what could have been!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
    InterestingLurker likes this.
  20. only one kenobi

only one kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 2012

I'm sorry, but just can't let this one go. Typical George - managing to jumble his ideas and contradict himself within seconds:

"Back in the day, I used to say ultimately what this means is we were just cars, vehicles, for the whills to travel around in... We're vessels for them.." followed by "I'm a free person. I have my own will"

But, more seriously, this is pretty much what I've argued - that this is the story that GL was trying to tell from the PT onward, and in doing so he tries here to convince that this was always as intended. His story (begun with the PT) is about cyphers carrying out the will of the Force - and this is quite simply NOT the story that is told within the OT.

His claim that: "All the way back to - with the Force and the Jedi and everything - the whole concept of how things happen was laid out completely from [the beginning] to the end" is, evidentially, not true. Why does he continually make this claim?

BigAl6ft6, Lt. Hija and Eternal_Jedi like this.
  21. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    I'd imagine that's exactly the kind of contradiction which the new trilogy would have explored, given that the contradiction between the concepts of determinism and free will is something that is inherent to most major religions as well secular philosophy. It's something the original six films deal heavily with and arguably never fully resolve.

The Whills are evidentially a very very old idea in the history of the development of Star Wars. They were initially conceptualized as an order of higher beings who existed in some manner above and apart from the story and so were capable of acting in the function of narrators; essentially they were the storytellers, and so in a way can be said to have been the gods and shapers of the events which were to take place in the films, just as Lucas himself was the god and shaper of his fictional universe. (I can find correlations between this idea and J.R.R. Tolkien's idea of "sub-creation" which he expressed in various ways throughout his writings, especially The Silmarillion.) This concept eventually merged with that of the Force, but as evidenced by the ROTS script Lucas continued to reserve a separate place for them in his cosmos.

I see nothing to contradict the idea that Lucas always kept the Whills in mind in some way as he was making the films. I doubt he conceptualized them specifically as microscopic beings way back during the OT days, but I also don't see where he ever says he did.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  22. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Those aren't contradicting statements/concepts.

23. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    So, apparently there will be a new interview with George Lucas coming soon.

[​IMG]

24. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    I concur because apparently Mr. Lucas suggested that we are not in control of our destinies but these microbiotic Whills, ultimately reducing us to automatons. First question that comes to mind is what happens if the body dies and only the Force Ghost remains (e.g. Kenobi).

The basic foundation of the OT is a fundamental belief in free will, excercised by the main protagonist Luke Skywalker. A spiritual entity may provide advise and counsel, but it's up to the individual (Luke) to decide what to do actually.

One of the things I really don't like about the ST is the lack of any meaningful spiritual issues. On second thought, I'm beginning to appreciate that, considering the "might have been" alternatives, provided I do not misunderstand where Mr. Lucas would have been heading. [face_dunno]

25. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    It might be helpful to compare the Whills to "authors" whose ideas the characters in the story rather mislike -- as if Faramir in LOTR were to remonstrate with JRR Tolkien about his role in the narrative.