main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

BTS Lucas Quotes and Interviews about the starwars saga.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Keeper_of_Swords, May 22, 2004.

1. Keeper_of_Swords

Keeper_of_Swords Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2003

I think somewhere in the dark recesses of my company there is something like that, but I've never seen it. I don't really know. Even though I live this and I know the worlds very well, and I know what everything is, half the time I'm in the fortunate position of being able to just make it up. So if somebody asks me a question, I know what the consistencies are, I know what's consistent with a particular environment and what isn't. Part of the job of the director is to sort of keep everything in line, and I can do that in the movies-but I can't do it on the whole Star Wars universe.

Lucas admits that he doesn't know everything there is to know about his own lucas, and that's what licensing is there for. But he is too busy to be able to do that with all the licensing material. But they are still part of the "Star Wars Universe".

2. Keeper_of_Swords

Sep 20, 2003
    (Note: Some questions in this interview are repeated above but there also new questions and answers so I decided to repost the whole interview for completion.)

Most of the info here is stuff we've covered in various posts over the past few months, but hey - these are straight from the horses mouth. Topics covered include DVD, how the ET's got in the Senate, George Lucas in Love and much more!

Anyhow, the first interview was recorded July 14th, 1999, and broadcast July 15th on Barry Norman's Film Night. Barry Norman has been THE face of British television film reviewing for over 25 years. His style is, according to Wedge 45, a little dry. Enough of the introduction, let's go:

3. xoliver

xoliver Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 3, 2001
    Thanks guys. A small point: there's no such programme as Barry Norman's Film Night; it would have been Film '99.

4. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    Thanks guys. A small point: there's no such programme as Barry Norman's Film Night; it would have been Film '99.

Talk about trying to nitpick o_O And errr:

[image=http://www.djdchronology.com/images/bnfilmnightintv9901.jpg]

It was a Sky program.

5. xoliver

xoliver Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 3, 2001
    I was trying to help keep this document accurate, which it needs to be to have credibility. Was Norman with Sky as early as 1999? Oh well.

6. Keeper_of_Swords

Sep 20, 2003
    I do not know about the program. I got the interview and introduction paragraphs from a link to a page on the.force.net

7. Keeper_of_Swords

Sep 20, 2003

8. Keeper_of_Swords

Sep 20, 2003
    Quote Highlights from Fisher's Interview with Lucas:

9. Keeper_of_Swords

Sep 20, 2003

10. Nordom

Nordom Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 1, 2004
    Very nice thread but one comment bother me:

Lucas talks about the original SW-movie
    "..I'm sorry you saw half a completed film and fell in love with it."

What is he saying here? That I am wrong to like the original version of SW? That I am to be pitied for having fond feelings and memories of a movie I saw many years ago?
    What is wrong with loving the original version of SW?

I have great admiration and respect for Lucas and his work but here it seems like he is telling me that I am somehow in the wrong or someone to be pitied for actually likeing the original version of one of his movies.

Regards
    Nordom

11. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    No, he's saying he's sorry he let you fall in love with something he was going to change in the long run. He's sorry he can't give THAT movie to you again.

Jeez lighten up.

12. Keeper_of_Swords

Sep 20, 2003

Thank You Nordom

"The controversey is going to be that people expect some horrible, horrific thing to happen to [Anakin] that caused him to [become Darth Vader]. It's much subtler. It's something that everybody faces--when you're looking at yourself, you can see your good and your bad, and say, "Is this a selfish choice or is this a compassionate choice? And once I get something, what would I do to keep from losing it? Would I make a pact with the devil to keep it?"

George Lucas

Subtext Mining likes this.
  13. Darth-Dogfish-Head

Darth-Dogfish-Head Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2004
    It's absolutely AMAZING how many threads, theories and questions that have been brought up time and time again could be eliminated if people came here and read your thread. Compiling this list must have been extremely time comsuming and your hard work is much appreciated.

14. BauconBatista

BauconBatista Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 24, 2004
    This is the easily the greatest thread I have ever seen. EVER.

15. TorstenGunnehill

TorstenGunnehill Jedi Youngling

Aug 23, 2004
    It´s interesting to see how much George talked about Episode 7-9 in the old days, before he decided not to do these, and said "... I never intended to do Ep. 7-9, it was just something the media came up with..."

Great thread, by the way!

16. Anakin_Skywalker20

Anakin_Skywalker20 Jedi Master star 5

Nov 16, 2000
    here's another quote regarding 7,8, and 9

"I'm not going to do it. I'm too old. I've got other movies I want to do. And I don't want anybody else to do it, so I've locked it up so Nobody can ever do it. There may be TV offshoots from people, but the saga itself, the story of the Skywalker family, is over!" -George Lucas, Entertainment Weekly.

I think that pretty much sums it up [face_plain] and I hope that will put an end to "Why not make 7,8 and 9?"

Just read the quote above. :)

17. Keeper_of_Swords

Sep 20, 2003
    Thanks a lot guys. I appreciate the sig Darth-Dogfish-Head.

18. Keeper_of_Swords

Sep 20, 2003

From DarthyMarkyMark's thread in this forum:

You can watch them I through VI in a very different way than it was presented before, watching it in flashback. Now you can watch it forward, and you will have a very different sense about what's going on, what's at stake, when you know that it's really a story about Darth Vader. It is a story about his son, but ... I see it as a six-part movie split in two. If it was a book you'd go through and the first thing it would say is "The Father". And you'd read one half and then you'd come to "The Son". And each one would be in three parts, which is the way I see it. And I think it will play that way in the end.

George Lucas Empire Magazine

19. DarthyMarkyMark

DarthyMarkyMark Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2003
    Thanks! ;) :D

You might find this one interesting, too:

There is no VII, VIII, IX. There never has been. The story was originally intended to be IV, V, and VI. But I had a backstory which I found fascinating, and I decided to do the backstory, [which] had already been written. So now you've got the full story from beginning to end. There really isn't any more, [so] I'm gonna go and do other kinds of movies, which I've been looking forward to doing for a very long time.

George Lucas - Empire Magazine

EDIT: Oh yeah, and from the same interview:

So only the Special Edition Star Wars films will ever be available?
    Yeah, it's the same thing with THX 1138 - there is no "original version" now.

20. Keeper_of_Swords

Sep 20, 2003
    Thank you DarthyMarkyMark. Always good to read new Lucas quotes.

21. Marcus-Aurelius

Marcus-Aurelius Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 18, 2004
    I find Lucas to be very liberal. To me Star Wars is very Buddhist and a little Hindu in nature. Well, philosophically perhaps. Lucas is a very interesting and brilliant man. He should talk more about his views and the hidden messages of the saga.

22. Keeper_of_Swords

Sep 20, 2003

23. DarthyMarkyMark

DarthyMarkyMark Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2003
    To be renewed is everything. What more could one ask for than to have one's youth back again?

Hmm ... does this quote perhaps explain why Anakin's spirit now appears as a young man? He's redeeemed, so he has his youth and goodness back?

24. DiMiT

DiMiT Jedi Master star 3

Mar 26, 2001
    haven't had a chance to read it all yet
    just kinda skimmed so far... but I gotta say thnks in the meantime for putting so much effort into this... and as someone above posted I definitely think this post would be a worthy addition to theforce.net's archives

well done :D

25. Keeper_of_Swords

Sep 20, 2003
    thanks DiMiT.

A quote Darth Sinister posted in another thread:

--George Lucas