main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

BTS Lucas Quotes and Interviews about the starwars saga.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Keeper_of_Swords, May 22, 2004.

1. Keeper_of_Swords

Keeper_of_Swords Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    ?When the Jedi tried to restore order, Darth Vader was still one of the Jedi. What he would do is catch the Jedi off-guard and, using his knowledge of the Force, he would kill the Jedi without them realizing what was happening. They trusted him and they didn't realize he was the murderer who was decimating their ranks.

I find this particularly interesting. Maybe we could see something like this in the live action series of the future.

2. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Vader's already an obvious Sith by that point, though.

3. Keeper_of_Swords

Sep 20, 2003
    You're right. My mistake.

4. Keeper_of_Swords

Sep 20, 2003

5. Keeper_of_Swords

Sep 20, 2003
    A Conversation with George Lucas
    By RICHARD CORLISS Tuesday, Mar. 14, 2006

6. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    Great thread! Thanks for psting all this stuff, Keeper. =D=

7. Keeper_of_Swords

Sep 20, 2003
    You're welcome Vortigern :)

8. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    unlocked and bumped :)

9. Keeper_of_Swords

Sep 20, 2003
    It's been long since i posted here, i don't think i've posted this though....

George Lucas, Episode II: Star Wars Strikes Back — on TV
    ·Sep 20, 2007 04:00 AM ET
    ·by Steve Sonsky

10. Keeper_of_Swords

Sep 20, 2003
    not starwars but interesting nevertheles....

11. MasterJane423

MasterJane423 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 1, 2009
    This thread is amazing! I've spent about the last three hours reading it. :)
    It's just so interesting to read about what George Lucas thinks about everything.
    In particular, I liked this quote:
    "Right or wrong this is my movie, this is my decision, and this is my creative vision, and if people don't like it, they don't have to see it."
    --George Lucas

Now I didn't like a few things that he's said and those things are the opposite of that quote. In some instances he gives into what everyone's saying, (ex: he says AOTC dialog was corney)which isn't really like him. He has confidence in his movies and that's very important.

All in all, there were a few things I didn't like, but I still completely respect him and laugh at his corney jokes. :p

12. Keeper_of_Swords

Sep 20, 2003
    thank you MasterJane, I appreciate it alot...it's been so long since i created this thread...

i ran a search for your signature quote but couldn't confirm it, could you tell me it's source please?

George Lucas was the first Hollywood filmmaker to credit Campbell's influence. Lucas stated following the release of the first Star Wars film in 1977 that its story was shaped, in part, by ideas described in The Hero with a Thousand Faces and other works of Campbell's. The linkage between Star Wars and Campbell was further reinforced when later reprints of Campbell's book used the image of Mark Hamill as Luke Skywalker on the cover.[24] Lucas discusses this influence at great length in the authorized biography of Joseph Campbell, A Fire in the Mind:

I [Lucas] came to the conclusion after American Graffiti that what's valuable for me is to set standards, not to show people the world the way it is...around the period of this realization...it came to me that there really was no modern use of mythology...The Western was possibly the last generically American fairy tale, telling us about our values. And once the Western disappeared, nothing has ever taken its place. In literature we were going off into science fiction...so that's when I started doing more strenuous research on fairy tales, folklore, and mythology, and I started reading Joe's books. Before that I hadn't read any of Joe's books...It was very eerie because in reading The Hero with a Thousand Faces I began to realize that my first draft of Star Wars was following classic motifs...so I modified my next draft [of Star Wars] according to what I'd been learning about classical motifs and made it a little bit more consistent...I went on to read 'The Masks of God' and many other books.

13. Keeper_of_Swords

Sep 20, 2003
    From this thread in this forum:

http://boards.theforce.net/the_star_wars_saga/b10456/30565196/p1/?42

"There are essentially nine films in a series of three trilogies. The first trilogy is about the young Ben Kenobi and the early life of Luke's father when Luke was a little boy. This trilogy takes place some twenty years before the second trilogy which includes Star Wars and Empire. About a year or two passes between each story of the trilogy and about twenty years pass between the trilogies. The entire saga spans about fifty-five years... I won't say who survives and who doesn't, but if we are ever able to link togther all three, you'd find the story progresses in a very logical fashion."

- George Lucas to Alan Arnold, 1979, Once Upon A Galaxy

The last three episodes involve the rebuilding of the Republic.
    Only two of the main characters will appear in all nine films, & they are the robots, Artoo-Detoo & Threepio. Says Lucas: "In effect, the story will be told through their eyes."

- Time Magazine, May 1980

"There are six hours of events before Star Wars, & in those six hours the 'Other' becomes apparent, & after the third film the 'Other' becomes apparent quite a bit."

- George Lucas to Rolling Stone, June 1980

The sequels, the three films that would follow Jedi, are considerably vaguer. Their main theme will be the necessity for moral choices & the wisdom needed to distinguish right from wrong.

- Time Magazine, May 1983

But he has only a vague notion of what will happen in the three films of the sequel? In the sequel Luke would be a sixty-year-old Jedi knight. Han Solo and Leia would be together? The sequel focuses mainly on Luke, and Lucas says Mark Hamill will have first crack at the part if he is old enough. "If the first trilogy is social and political and talks about how society evolves," Lucas says, "Star Wars is more about personal growth and self realization, and the third deals with moral and philosophical problems... The sequel is about Jedi knighthood, justice, confrontation, and passing on what you have learned."

- George Lucas to Denise Worrell, 1983, ICONS: Intimate Portraits

14. Anakin_Skywalker20

Anakin_Skywalker20 Jedi Master star 5

Nov 16, 2000
    Well...and 30 years later, lol... it didn't quite come out that way.

15. shanerjedi

shanerjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2010
    Unlocked and upped this thread.

16. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    wow even though i do have mixed feelings about george, i really think these interviews are very cool. i'm almost done with the first post and this quote really stuck in my head.

"
    If I got a job, I would help somebody else get a job. If somebody got more successful than me, it was partly my success.
    My success wasn't based on how I could push down everyone around me. My success was based on how much I could push everybody up. And eventually their success was the same way. And in the process they pushed me up, and I pushed them up, and we kept doing that, and we still do that.

Even though we all have, in essence, competing companies, if my friends succeed, then everybody succeeds. So that's the key to it, to have everybody succeed, not to gloat over somebody else's failure.

lots of information, and thanks for unlocking this thread :)

17. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    This is an amazing thread. I hope we see more old threads like this get unlocked!

I think it is important for a lot of fans to look back on these things lucas is saying and remember what an amazing human being he truly is.

Also I think looking back on all his PT quotes from back in the 99-2005 days can be an eye opening experience to many.

=D= @};-

18. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Totally forgot about this thread, thanks for unlocking it.

Don't suppose anyone could post the interviews with GL from the HC version of Rinzler's Making Of Star Wars? Most of the meaty parts about Vader are easy enough to find, but until recently I had no idea that he was talking about C-3PO being made by a boy in a junkyard as far back as that, or that he talked about the Force being related to microscopic lifeforms.

19. Keeper_of_Swords

Sep 20, 2003
    I consider this a rather sad interview, it contains only fragments of information related to the saga, but it shows that Lucas was very much aware and saddened by not just negative reviews but also hate-comments by fans on the internet etc....

20. Keeper_of_Swords

Sep 20, 2003
    It would be great if you come across and post more quotes/interviews related to the starwars saga as I am sure this thread is not totally update, thanks

21. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    Its funny because a lot of peoples questions from many other topics on this board can be answered by reading some of the lucas quotes in this thread.

More people should read through this thread, truly. [face_coffee]

Subtext Mining and Cryogenic like this.
  22. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    I have never really been able to buy that the saga is just Anakin's story - so I absolutely love this new quote from GL. It sums up the story perfectly.

"The primary story is about fathers and sons. STAR WARS is about generations, about one generation having to try to improve on what the generation before it did. It is about one generation living with the mistakes that the previous generation made. The story is twofold: Why does somebody who starts out being good become bad? It also reflects the father?s journey, how he becomes bad and it follows the journey of the son who refuses to become bad and in the process redeems his father. A new generation needs to try to improve the world." (source)

obi-rob-kenobi4 likes this.
  23. Keeper_of_Swords

Sep 20, 2003
    George Lucas – The Future Of Star Wars Movies

24. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Thanks for bumping this incredible thread, now we just need the mods to sort out the truncated posts & sticky it.

25. Keeper_of_Swords

Sep 20, 2003
    In his early drafts, George Lucas ostensibly planned to use the Journal of the Whills as a plot device to connect the Star Wars galaxy to our own. In Star Wars: The Annotated Screenplays, Lucas explains his original intent:
    "Originally, I was trying to have the story be told by somebody else; there was somebody watching this whole story and recording it, somebody probably wiser than the mortal players in the actual events. I eventually dropped this idea, and the concept behind the Whills turned into the Force. But the Whills became part of this massive amount of notes, quotes, background information that I used for the scripts; the stories were actually taken from the 'Journal of the Whills'."