BTS Lucas Quotes and Interviews about the starwars saga.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Keeper_of_Swords, May 22, 2004.

Moderators: Darth_Nub, Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn
  1. Keeper_of_Swords Force Ghost

star 5
    http://www.businessweek.com/article...-bought-lucasfilm-and-its-plans-for-star-wars

Last edited by Darth_Nub, Aug 4, 2013
    Darth_Articulate and Nubbs like this.
  2. Keeper_of_Swords Force Ghost

star 5
    Nubbs likes this.
  3. Darth_Nub Saga, Classic Trilogy and Film Music Manager

Manager
    star 4
    Cheers, mate - incidentally, I've been waiting for you to pop in again, a lot of the quotes in this thread have been truncated and it's not an easy task to restore the whole lot (I've got a restored version of p1, though).

Do you have access to the originals in another format? I was hoping we could try to do this thread over and perhaps organise the quotes in posts according to topic (then perhaps assemble a few more Google docs). Having a thread like this is a really handy resource for discussions.
  4. Keeper_of_Swords Force Ghost

star 5
    I have word docs of most of the paragraphs/interviews which I posted. I can send them as an e-mail or something if you like :) thanks
  5. Darth_Nub Saga, Classic Trilogy and Film Music Manager

Manager
    star 4
    Terrific - I'd like to approach this properly and maybe use the already stickied thread as the 'Quotes & Articles' resource, but it does take time to sort this stuff and put it into context (the doc I did took a bit longer than I expected, particularly considering how much real life got in the way at the time).

Stand by & I'll figure out how best to make this happen, it would be great to have all this material at our fingertips. If you could start a Google Docs account and just copy everything to that, then PM me the link, that'd be a great start.
  6. Keeper_of_Swords Force Ghost

star 5
    I am sorry, but I don't use a google account. Can i send the word documents as an e-mail attachment or repost them somewhere?
  7. Darth_Nub Saga, Classic Trilogy and Film Music Manager

Manager
    star 4
    No problem - PM sent, just send me what you've got to that email address & I'll get started sorting through it. I figure we can eventually just add more Google docs to the stickied thread.

Eventually this thread can just be locked and we'll post updates to the stickied one.
  8. Keeper_of_Swords Force Ghost

star 5
    Reposting with Darth Nub's permission:

George Lucas and Star Wars Canon

In the introduction to the 1994 printing of Splinter of the Mind's Eye, Lucas offered his view on the evolution of the Star Wars saga:
    Another notable mention, is this quote from an interview in the August/September 1999 issue of SW Insider:

Further, in an August 2005 interview in Starlog magazine:

Lucas' statements in Starlog were commented on in a December 7, 2005 post on the starwars.com forums by Leland Chee, who maintains Lucas Licensing's continuity database:

During ShoWest 2008, Lucas gave an interview where he mentioned the difference between "his world", "the licensing world" and the "fans' world":

Another noteworthy exchange between Lucas and an interviewer appeared in the May 2008 edition of Total Film magazine:

Last edited by Darth_Nub, Aug 2, 2013
  9. Darth_Nub Saga, Classic Trilogy and Film Music Manager

Manager
    star 4
    Beautiful. Thanks heaps, these quotes & articles are pure gold, and not necessarily the same old stuff we've seen quoted, reprinted, paraphrased, pushed, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed & misquoted ad nauseam.
  10. Keeper_of_Swords Force Ghost

star 5
  11. Darth_Nub Saga, Classic Trilogy and Film Music Manager

Manager
    star 4
    Stickying for the time being.
    DarthBoba likes this.
  12. Keeper_of_Swords Force Ghost

star 5
    http://www.mindofthegeek.com/2013/05/24/breaking-down-the-star-wars-1981-prequel-outline/

Last edited by Darth_Nub, Aug 4, 2013
  13. Darth_Nub Saga, Classic Trilogy and Film Music Manager

Manager
    star 4
    Just FYI - I'm in the process of going through and tidying this thread up when I get the chance, so it might be a little bit messy here & there for a while. Number one priority is restoring posts which were truncated by the move, then deleting duplicates.

For the time being I'm going to keep replies and any comments ( @Keeper_of_Swords, obviously) intact. At some stage it'd be nice for it all to be categorised, but for right now the thread structure will remain as it was.
    If anyone wishes to add to the thread, go right ahead, your posts won't be deleted or lost.
  14. Darth_Nub Saga, Classic Trilogy and Film Music Manager

Manager
    star 4
    OK, this monster thread has been restored somewhat to its former glory, I've taken the liberty of placing quotes inside boxes where I could, just to make it a bit easier to read.
    I've also removed whatever quotes have already appeared, deleting several posts in the process.

Big thanks to @Keeper_of_Swords for providing the vast majority of the material, and also to all the other users who have contributed, in particular @Lars_Muul for that selection from The Making of ROTS.

Still something of a work in progress - if anyone has any suggestions about how best to arrange all this material, post in this thread (or volunteer!).

There's a number of quotes without cited sources, if anyone spots one for which he/she can provide the source, let me know via PM and I'll add it. Same deal for any errors or blatant duplicates.

For future posting in this thread, let's keep it to quotes and interviews from George Lucas only, as it has been so far. There's an old thread with quotes from Gary Kurtz, if anything else crops up from him, add it there - http://boards.theforce.net/threads/according-to-gary-kurtz.50003998/ - if anyone feels like starting a similar thread about, say, Mark Hamill's misinformed ramblings and blatant fanservice quotes, go right ahead, all good material for discussion and debate.
    Last edited by Darth_Nub, Aug 7, 2013
  15. Count Yubnub Force Ghost

star 4
    Very interesting. Thanks.

The OT and PT, respectively [face_plain]
    Darkslayer and Keeper_of_Swords like this.
  16. markdeez33 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    A+ thread. Excellent read. Absolutely excellent. Keep it coming, gentlemen!
    Keeper_of_Swords likes this.
  17. Keeper_of_Swords Force Ghost

star 5
    Thanks guys, and thanks Darth Nub for your time and effort.

Not starwars related...but a quote nevertheless..

(At the Academy Governors Awards):

George Lucas next rose to salute, however, it was his unlikely tale that was perhaps the night's most touching. He told how when his daughter was 10 she was a huge Angelina Jolie fan "because of her humanity, fighting for what is right." (As he launched into the story, from the Lucas table, daughter Katie, who had just sat down, was heard to moan "Oh no!") So Lucas asked Jolie to lunch to meet her admirer. "At that point we sat down, and she'd adopted a son, and I'd adopted three children by myself and it was two basically single parents talking about children. And I said, children are the pathway to a meaningful life and to happiness, and this is the one true thing you can do, to have children." He paused. "Little did I know she'd take me so seriously."

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie...ds-hollywood-coziest-clubhouse-161348920.html
  18. purplerain Force Ghost

star 4
    That fits ROTJ perfectly.
  19. DBZGTKOSDH Jedi Master

star 1
    Has this been posted? I found it in Wookiepedia.

"However, after all of his limbs were severed and he was extremely burned on Mustafar he lost much of his Force potential. As Darth Vader, Skywalker was believed to have had roughly 80% of the strength of the Emperor. Had he sustained none of his injuries on Mustafar he would have been twice as powerful."
    ―George Lucas
Moderators: Darth_Nub, Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn