main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lucas Ruining Original Trilogy

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by LukeTrue1, Jun 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phil-The-Fan

Phil-The-Fan Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 6, 2002
    Well, after seeing all this info and crap, and the meaning being lost all I have to say is this.

I don't think so.

And if you do, then it's your opinion. However you are warned that there is one more movie to come, so don't jump to conclusions.

And as said before, if you don't like the movie don't see it. I use the same philosophy for the EU.

and here is the Just Because part of my post.

1: Just because they like a star wars movie and you don't doesn't make them one of George's evil minions.

2: Just because the whole story isn't told doesn't mean it is messed up entirely. When you come home from work do you tell the entire day to your wife? No, and I doubt it ruins it with all the plot holes. I doubt it's any different on a tv show when at the begining they fill you in on the last episode.

3: Just Because you are a factual person, it doesn't change the opinion of others.

Oh, and to everyone: YOU'RE NOT THE SMARTEST PERSON IN THE WORLD!

2. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    RANT RANT STOMP STOMP

RARRRR!

3. Warsloth

Warsloth Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2002
  4. MauveLightsaber

MauveLightsaber Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 26, 2002
    There are no inconsistencies that can't be explained away using *simple* explanations. I seriously wonder if these nitpickers have any imagination whatsoever. If everything was explained on screen, the movies would be BORING.

Here is my debunkification of the more major so-called inconsistencies:

Nitpick: Obi-Wan said he was trained by Yoda! He never even mentioned Qui-Gon!
    Answer: Even in TPM, before we see Yoda trains the young ones in AOTC, we knew this to be a misguided nitpick. One of the first lines of TPM is Obi-Wan saying "But master Yoda said I should be mindful of the future." So clearly Obi-Wan has been trained by Yoda, probably way beyond what we see of Yoda training younglings in AOTC. It's likely that Yoda sensed great things about Obi-Wan's future and did much of Kenobi's training himself, before handing him off to Qui-Gon so he would have time for the Council.

Nitpick: Why doesn't Obi-Wan recognize Threepio and Artoo in ANH?
    Answer: I think he does, or at least he suspects he does. Look at his smile when he first sees them! It works perfectly. His expression gives even more away once he sees the message from Leia. That confirms it for him, and he's now thinking "Here we go again!"

Nitpick: Why don't Artoo and Threepio recognize Tatooine or the Lars homestead?
    Answer: The obvious answer here is a memory wipe, but I don't think they need them. Artoo especially doesn't need a wipe, I think he knows *exactly* what is going on. Threepio also may know more than he is letting on, yet is aware he should keep his trap shut. For example: Luke: "You know of the rebellion against the Empire?" Threepio: "That's how we came to be in your service *if you take my meaning* sir" Hmm. Very cool. Why say "if you take my meaning" unless he is being coy about the reasons he is there?

Nitpick: Obi-Wan says Anakin was already a pilot!
    Answer: Uhhh, he was. And this goes way beyond the pod racing sequence. When he first meets Padme, he says "I'm a pilot you know, and some day, I'm gonna fly away from this place." He also, you know, flys a fighter jet into the heart of their enemy's ship -- and back out again while the damn thing is blowing up! Seems like a pretty awesome pilot to me.

5. Commander Dan

Commander Dan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 2, 1999
    Originally posted by MauveLightsaber:
    Threepio also may know more than he is letting on, yet is aware he should keep his trap shut.

Actually, I would agree with your assertion that 3PO knows more than he is letting on. Consider the following: At the beginning of ANH, while the Rebel Blockade Runner is being attacked, 3PO states, ?there?ll be no escape for the Princess this time.? From this short statement, we can conclude that 3PO knows who the Princess is, and that he is aware that she has escaped from Imperials in the past. Yet later in the film, when Luke sees Leia?s holographic message and asks ?who is she,? 3PO responds, ?I?m afraid I?m not quite sure, sir. I think she was a passenger on our last voyage??

I also agree that the story (as presented thus far) does not require a memory wipe for R2. However, if R2?s memory is intact, it would seem that he has kept 3PO in the dark in regards to some of their ?prequel adventures.?

6. Daniel

Daniel Jedi Master star 1

May 24, 1999
    I don't think GL is ruining the OT, infact I am in the middle of a SW marathon and I AM ENJOYING THE HECK OUT OF IT. GL ROCKS!!!

Nothing the original poster has mentioned are inconsistencies PERIOD, they are just details not necessary for Luke to know to become a Jedi and they are details NOT necessary to defeat the Emperor.

My minor nit-picky complaints of the entire 6 chapter saga are:

1) GREEDO DID NOT SHOOT FIRST...
    2) The exhaust port where Qui-gon dies in TPM does NOT look like an exhaust port.
    3) The Family scene in AOTC where Padme explains how Anakin is effecting her emotionally. The relationship between Anakin and Padme is SO important to the saga that I feel it has to be even more believable than Han and Leia (can't wait for AOTC's DVD though)
    4) and my final complaint is a true inconsistancy, BUT I also have to wait for EP3 to be finished BUT...Anakin and Obi-wan are NOT good friends. This could easily be fixed if there's a small mention / demonstration in EP3 near the beginning that Anakin and Obi-wan have developed a true friendship.

7. sam22789

sam22789 Jedi Youngling

Jun 14, 2002
    I like the newest two more than the old three. Just my opinion, Lucas is at his best.

8. Daniel

May 24, 1999
    One more thing...Bashers really do need to stop watching the SE and the PT all together.

I am a Batman fan and the only Bat-films I liked are Batman(B'89) and The Animated series "Mask of the Phantasm"(MOTP). I have seen all the Bat-movies, but the one that has repeat viewings are the two I have mentioned above (with one exception).

I found out that there's a real fan base for the 2nd Bat-movie "Batman Returns"(BR). I REALLY hated this movie, but since they were so many fans that liked it I said to myself, "I must be missing something." I picked up as a rental and after my second viewing after not seeing in several years, I still thought the movie was CRAP and have not scene it since.

All other movies in the Bat-series have been MAJOR disappointments and I refuse to watch them after the first viewing (BR the only exception). I do not go to the Bat-boards to continually "bash" the Bat-movies trying to make people understand that they are CRAP. When asked which movie of the Bat-series I like I say I only watch B'89 and MOTP because I HATED the others. I also point out that I don't remember what I hate about BR, BF and B&R, because that would require WASTING MY TIME to watch them again, and I refuse to do that.

Take note bashers do the "True-Fans" a favor and stop wasting your time with the SE's and the PT's.

As for politics, I am a "Constitutional Conservative" and the Party that meets my politcal views the most is the "Constitutional Party" or the "American Independent Party". So just because GL may be liberal doesn't mean I don't enjoy HIS 6 CHAPTER SAGA about the Fall and Redemtion of Anakin Skywalker, also known as "Star Wars".

9. zeekveerko

zeekveerko Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    i don't think we'd have quite as many se bashes if lucas would release both versions on dvd. as for the pt, i agree with batman fan. if ya don't like it....
    also, i agree about the batman movies. the first was good, but the others just weren't. never saw the cartoon movie. did mark hammil do the joker in that?

10. Daniel

May 24, 1999
    Zeek, Mark Hamil did do the voice of the Joker. It's too bad the Bat-movies did not take the source material as seriously as the animated series did. :(

11. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    I would have to agree with Luke true 1 he is right, remeber he is putting padme in the OT.

12. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    "Take note bashers do the "True-Fans" a favor and stop wasting your time with the SE's and the PT's."

i still complain about batman and robin and i do it every chance i get.

why is joel shoemacher still making movies?

hollywood, the only place you can fark up and get a raise.

oh and... what exactly makes someone a true fan? are you not a fan of batman because there were some crappy installments in the series? do you have to like everything to be a true fan? please explain.

13. black_saber

Apr 4, 2002
    Dr evazan I love Batman so shut up and don"t tell me what I like. got It!

14. zeekveerko

Apr 30, 2002
    :eek:
    i would love to see a black light saber.

15. black_saber

Apr 4, 2002
    Shut up ok I just thought it would be cool to see one it my not be bad seeing one. My mind would say it would have white in the middle like all the lightsabers and black for reflextion.

16. MauveLightsaber

MauveLightsaber Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 26, 2002
    Wow, this took a sudden turn into non-sequiterville. Anyway...

"remember he is putting padme in the OT."

This is pure rumor as far as I'm concerned. I'll believe it when I see it. Didn't Portman say something like "What are you talking about?" when asked about this?

17. Daniel

May 24, 1999
    Dr.E.,

Batman is more then one persons vision. It has movies in animation as well as live action.

the SW saga is LUCAS' vision. It is one movie with 6 chapters, let HIM tell the story HE wants to. There's your definition, those who allow the author / artist to tell HIS story.

18. zeekveerko

Apr 30, 2002
    black_saber i wasn't being sarcastic. i think sabers should be all different colors, not just the three video primaries.

sorry to be non-sequiter, these things just tend to turn into conversations at times.

19. black_saber

Apr 4, 2002
    Its ok man but I just thought you were making fun of me!!!!!!!!

20. Kryatt_Dragon

Kryatt_Dragon Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 15, 2002
    I'm with you almost all the way man...and I feel your pain!

The problem is you're not going to find too many people who agree with you on this forum because they seem to be saturated with neophytes and junkies.

I guess most of our fellow naysayers are resigned to keep their opinions strictly to themselves and a small circle of friends and family. There's also the fact that a lot of people liked the original trilogy enough that they waited for reviews and word of mouth before going to see TPM and AOTC. When neither were positive they opted not to see them. The great majority of people I've spoken to about the OT verses PT all feel the same way. The prequels are a huge letdown and the original trilogy is better...PERIOD!!!

I guess were all just a bunch of whiners and complainers though. I guess that a good number of the professional critics who loved the original trilogy and hate the new one are also full of crap. I guess George Lucas really is as good as Lawrence Kasden at writing a script and as good as Irvin Kirshner at directing.

GET A CLUE PEOPLE!!! You really think a good Star Wars prequel would have any trouble beating Titanic at the box office? You don't even know what a good Star Wars movie can be. Theses new installments are a joke. Lucas has gotten lazy with storytelling aspects and he's simply riding on the coattails of the original trilogy. He's also relying on junkies to turn a reasonable profit at the box office.

If I am wrong could somebody please tell how a movie like Spiderman can out-perform a new Star Wars movie at the box office?

21. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    The prequels are a huge letdown and the original trilogy is better...PERIOD!!!

No, just in your opinion. In my opinion, the prequels are great, and equal to the OT.

I guess George Lucas really is as good as Lawrence Kasden at writing a script and as good as Irvin Kirshner at directing.

In case you're forgetting, George wrote and directed ANH. I don't see a lot of people bashing that one. In fact, a lot of people rank it above Empire.

You don't even know what a good Star Wars movie can be.
    Sure I do! AOTC is a good Star Wars movie. No, actually, it's a great Star Wars movie.

Theses new installments are a joke.

Wait, are you referring to comic relief? If so, then yes, comic relief is largely composed of characters making jokes.

He's also relying on junkies to turn a reasonable profit at the box office.

I suppose some moviegoers do use drugs, but I hardly see what this has to do with your point.

22. CwrnPuppet

CwrnPuppet Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    I love it when people assert their opinions as absolute fact. How many times will we read things to the effect of, "The prequels are terrible - PERIOD!"?

23. IMPERIALPILOT_SOLO

IMPERIALPILOT_SOLO Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 1, 2002
    he is ruining it, why does he keep changing scenes every few years. He should leave them alone, why change classics?? How would everybody feel if he starts changing scenes in the sequels ten years from now??? Just add deleted scenes and leave the rest. I'll buy the dvds without any changes to the originals.

24. CwrnPuppet

CwrnPuppet Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    he is ruining it, why does he keep changing scenes every few years.

What are you talking about? He made changes with the SE. That's one set of changes and can't constitute "every few years".

He should leave them alone, why change classics??

Why not change them? If he isn't happy with the finished product, I see no reason to begrudge him any changes. We may not like the changes that he made/makes, but ultimately, this is his story and I respect his right to tell it in the way that he sees fit.

How would everybody feel if he starts changing scenes in the sequels ten years from now???

I wouldn't mind one bit. They aren't my films, they're his.

Just add deleted scenes and leave the rest. I'll buy the dvds without any changes to the originals.

Chances are that the original versions will eventually be released on DVD, so you can have your fun then; complete with discoloration boxes around TIE fighters.

25. IMPERIALPILOT_SOLO

IMPERIALPILOT_SOLO Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 1, 2002
    i agree with changing that annoying black discoloration around the ties but changing parts of the movies is lame!! I like the old scene in jabbas palace not new scenes. Wow we got to see more Boba Fett and hear a new song. That really needed fixing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.