main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lucas Says Indy 5 a Possibility?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by HanSolo29 , May 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TaintedJedi

TaintedJedi Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2004
    Not to nitpick, but isn't it technically The Staff of Aaron? And while it's not canon, Max McCoy's "Indiana Jones and the Secret of the Sphinx" uses the Staff of Aaron. Heck, a great deal of McCoy's novels have the seeds for a good Indy movie... of course, most of them are "flawed" in my opinion but as an idea (and to use more "McGuffins" we've already seen)...

Have Indy drafted by the US government right after burying Marcus in the later years of WW2, and sent to Hong Kong to rescue a pair of M16 agents who were searching for clues to the Spear of Destiny. Once in Hong Kong, Indy crosses paths with an eyepatch wearing Short Round (who's turned into a martial artist and revolutionary fighting to free his country), who's looking for the Spear himself as a means to stop the string of invaders of the Asian mainland... in the meantime, Indy rescues the loud mouthed Mac and the pair eventually travel into a war torn Europe, risking life and limb on a giant nazi flying wing and all means of Nazi techno-mysticism laden science in a race to stop Hitler from harnessing the power of the Lance of Longinus...

Ideally, it'd be dark. Really dark. I like the idea of Indy being tortured first by the death of Marcus and his Dad, then the "loss" of Short Round. Somehow, I imagine the poor kid had an unwilling "falling out" with Jones and just... went down the wrong path. But despite all of that, Indy forges a relationship with Mac that helps to make his betrayal in KoTCS that much more poignant. It's probably far too complicated to ever be made into a film, but hey, I can dream...

-TJ

2. GrandAdmiral_Frank

GrandAdmiral_Frank Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 26, 2003
    I would say no to a prequel only because a lot of people would expect to see Marcus and Henry Sr.

If they do it you can bet that it would be a sequel to KOTCS and you can bet that Harrison would step down to let Shia take the fedora. It is possible that Shia would have a new costume similar to something like Batman Beyond but I doubt it.

3. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    That seems to be what the majority of people think, but Spielberg has hinted in interviews(I believe Lucas has as well) that Harrison will have as prominent a role in any new film as he has in the previous four. Something along the lines of, "it's not Indiana Jones without Harrison." That makes me believe that they're not aiming for a 'passing of the torch' story and maybe a prequel will be the likely route. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

4. GrandAdmiral_Frank

Aug 26, 2003
    Time will tell.

I just hope that, and I've said it before, we see some Sallah. I would also like to know what happened to Short Round too.

5. jedibri

jedibri Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2000
    I think it would be cool if they could get Conery to day a small cameo in a flashback sceen. Or maybe take some lost footage from "Crusade."

Maybe they could tie Indy his Father and Indy beinga Father to Mutt togather.

6. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004
    I don't know what happened to the character of Short Round. However...

Short Round, Jonathan Ke Quan, as he is now known, is 36 years old. He graduated from USC Film School, had a number of acting roles in TV and movies, and is now working as a stunt coordinator and martial artist. He worked on "The One" with Jet Li and in stunts on the first X Men movie. He has also done some editing and sound work.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0702841/bio

7. GrandAdmiral_Frank

Aug 26, 2003
    I think he'd do the role again. Though it would be different this time around because he would be older as a person and as a character.

8. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004
    right, that's true...here's his filmography, I didn't realize he had done TV's TALES OF THE CRYPT and ENCINO MAN.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0702841/

9. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I came across this little bit from Karen Allen that I found interesting:

http://www.theraider.net/news/fullstory_indy4.php?id=956

Talking Indy, fabrics and acting with a reporter, Karen Allen aka Marion Ravenwood-Williams-Jones, had this to say about the gangs desire fore Indy 5:

"I think possibly there will be another one but the challenge is how to make it good," she said in Sydney yesterday. "George and Steven and Harrison want everything to be perfect and worthy of the films that have gone before. The biggest obstacle is that they are so sincere in their efforts to make a good script, to not just make a film to make a film."

Read more about Ms. Allen's thoughts on working with Cate Blanchett as well at The Sydney Morning Herald.

Now if only they would look at my script centered around a brash, young adventurer (think Brad Pitt) stealing news headlines about amazing discoveries that he is stealing out right from under Indy's nose. What ensues is a an old school/new school rivalry, ala the Buzz Lightyear (modern day) versus Woody the Cowboy (old school) and Indy trying not to become like Marion's Dad, Abner, and end up dying looking "bits of junk" and try and settle down and enjoy the bliss of married life. Yet when the lure of finding the Lost Continent beckons -- its a race for knowledge and glory! Wait, is that the phone ringing... is it Mr. Lucas?

Nah, just a telemarketer.. oh well.

Let's hope Indy 5 is coming soon!

10. Palpateen

Palpateen Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2000

Short Round in Indy V?

=D=

I'm there.

11. skywalkerz

skywalkerz Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 25, 2005
    Oh, wow! If what he says is true, then George should make the fifth Indy about ninjas, whether it be Henry Jones Jr. or Henry Jones III!

12. StarWarrior77

StarWarrior77 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 30, 2008
    Me too! :)

13. jedibri

Jul 19, 2000
    No to a prequel.

No to Short Round.

Yes to Sallah.

14. Beirut

Beirut Jedi Master

Apr 8, 2005
    I'd only want to see a prequel if it was set in 1956 and they were planning to make an Indy 6. This would allow them to sideline Mutt and Marion, but without ending the series altogether.

Other than that, I have no interest in seeing anyone replace Harrison Ford in the lead role. And I don't believe Lucas or Spielberg have either. Even Shia was quick to shoot down the idea that he would- or could- take Ford's place.

I also have no interest in seeing Short Round or Sallah return. Those are characters that each had a purpose and fulfilled it perfectly. To bring them back only results in making Indy's world grow smaller. I don't even think Mutt should return, even though he actually has a reason to. He was a great character, but they should continue the tradition of new sidekicks every time out.

15. Captain_Typho

Captain_Typho Jedi Master star 5

Jul 30, 2003
    agree to the first statement, disagree with the second.

16. Beirut

Beirut Jedi Master

Apr 8, 2005
    Just out of curiosity, which character do you think should return?

Lucas gets a lot of criticism nowadays, but one thing I still respect is his willingness to explore new creative ground. And the Indy series has proven to be a perfect vehicle for him to let his imagination run wild.

Back in 1983, all the fans writing in to the Indy comic thought Marion and Sallah should return. I'm sure if fans had been online in 1988, people would've been arguing that Willie and Shorty should be back. It's the way fans think, but it's not the way Lucas does.

17. Obi-Chron

Obi-Chron Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2003
    I'm all for the "return" (debuting on screen 'in the flesh') of Marion's father and Indy's mentor, Dr. Abner Ravenwood.

Marion would 'have to' reappear as well, of course. I'll just let those high paid writers decide how it all might all play out!

18. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004

I don't see how Spielberg can possibly be available to direct an Indy V for at least a couple of years. He's currently shooting Tintin in mocap, he's got the Abraham Lincoln feature to do, and for those of you who follow the industry, Spielberg's Dreamworks is undergoing controversy and upheaval, partly due to the economy.

After Dreamworks exited Paramount, he got 325 million dollars from Indian investors, contingent on his bankers at J.P. Morgan raising an equal amount to pay for film production and advertising. They've had trouble raising it because of all the craziness with the economy, bailouts etc. And in the middle of all of this, Spielberg is backing out of a new distribution agreement with Universal and may end up in a deal at Disney. It's all business stuff, and very complicated but between all that turmoil and the fact he's got another couple of films to direct, I don't see him getting around to Indy 5 until Harrison is 70!

19. Beirut

Beirut Jedi Master

Apr 8, 2005
    A decision on Lincoln is reportedly going to be made within the next week or so. If greenlit, it's rumored to be aiming for a release date this December.

I assume an Indy 5 is something everyone discussed beforehand, otherwise, there would've been no need to even open that can of worms. Few would've been surprised if Indy 4 had been presented as the "final" Indiana Jones film- especially given the film's ending and lengthy delay.

For that reason, I believe Spielberg does intend to make room for the project, if and when a script should appear. But I don't think any of them really expect that for at least 2-3 years.

20. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    And the biggest thing right now appears to be a script. We all know how long it took them to agree on a final script for KotCS. Will they have similar disagreements when it comes to deciding on a plot for a potential Indy V? I sure hope not, but you never know.

21. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    I mean no offense to either George or Steven, but this battle over the script for Indy 4 seems to have been for nothing. The script wasn't all that great, in my opinion. I sure hope they don't go to battle yet again for another script, only to have it be lackluster due to too many compromises. I don't want to go backwards with Indy either, no prequels please. Mutt and Marion would more or less have to have an appearance at the least, if Indy V is made. You couldn't bring back Willie because she and Indy had a "thing" going on and Marion would probably have something to say about that. Sallah would be okay, but ONLY if there is a reason for him to be there. No more winks to the audience please. Short Round? No purpose that I can think of for him to be there. We need new villains and continuing adventures. After the Star Wars PT, I am a little wary of prequels.

22. Beirut

Beirut Jedi Master

Apr 8, 2005
    I have a feeling a potential Indy 5 was discussed before everyone began work on Indy 4. For this reason, I doubt that they will have the same difficulty agreeing on a MacGuffin/script next time out.

In a way, I agree that the biggest obstacle (ie. aliens) ended up delaying the film for nothing. But I also think the real motivation behind the film's progress was the sense of urgency kicking in more than anything else.

Even in the late 90's, there was still a sense that they had plenty of time left in which to make another film. (The fact that it didn't arrive until 2008 actually proved that thinking to be correct.)

Lucas had plenty to keep him busy while directing the Star Wars prequels...Spielberg's plate was continually full...and Ford had yet to begin any major box office slide.

23. jedibri

Jul 19, 2000

But, KOCS was miles better than Epi-I & II without question.

24. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    INDIANA JONES 5 Story has been cracked by Spielberg according to Shia LaBeouf INDY 5

25. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Interesting news, although I don't know how much of it we can take seriously. We all remember the rumors flying around for years concerning KotCS before it finally got made. Could this be more of the same?

Also, I'm gonna go ahead and lock the other thread and keep all Indy V discussion in here for the time being. I don't think we need two threads talking about the same subject.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.