main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lucas Says Indy 5 a Possibility?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by HanSolo29 , May 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    Frank Marshall has spoken about INDY V

2. jedibri

jedibri Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2000

If Marshall said it it's going to happen. This is great news!

3. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Huh. Things really seem to be moving along with this.

I didn't expect things to happen this soon, but this is great news! I just hope they don't rush the script and really get something they're all happy with this time. It seems with KotCS, they agreed to disagree on certain things.

4. jedibri

Jul 19, 2000
    Speilberg is involved with the script and story. As he was for "Last Crusade" which is my favorite Indy film. It should be good.

5. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Spielberg has always been involved with the script and story. More with the story than the script, but then again, I doubt that he will have much to do with the script this time either.

6. jedibri

Jul 19, 2000
    One thing I sort of took away was this little line that Marshall said. "Steven, George and I feel we can do better." Is that sort of a backhanded way of saying sorry for KOCS? I think it is.

7. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Do you have a link for that quote?

Not really sure how to take that line. It definately sounds like they weren't completely happy with the final product, then again, looking at their pasts, when have they ever been completely happy with their movies? ;)

8. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    It's a good thing they think that way because it means theyre striving to do better than Indy 4. So even if the majority liked that movie(I'm not saying they did), they aren't going to rest on their laurels.

9. UnexpectedRewinds

UnexpectedRewinds Jedi Master

Mar 12, 2008
    Yo Jedibri, I was looking for that quote you posted where Frank Marshall states that they could have done better, but I have not found the quote. Where did you find it? I would love to see if he actually said that because if he did, that's, i think, pretty definite that Indy 5 will come out which would be awesome.

10. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004
    That's totally absurd.

11. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Don't forget that Temple of Doom was a prequel to Raiders. We too often think of prequels as being solely a back story (like SW.) They could be used as a clever ways to avoid the existing plot line and take Indiana on an independent adventure. Ideally, I'd like to see a film that takes place a few years prior to KOTCS (maybe with a cameo role for Henry Sr.) Realistically, having pushed the Ravenwood/Shia plot--I don't see Steven and George backing away from it.

12. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Shia LeBeouf is pretty much guaranteed to be involved, else Spielberg wouldn't have told him about it (not to mention that he's pretty much his favorit actor right now ;) ), thus a prequel is extremely unlikely.

13. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Random thought: Perhaps developing Indy 4 wasn't what was taking so long; maybe they spent all that time coming up with a story for a new trilogy? Even the old Indy films didn't come along this fast.

14. Dark_Lord_THX_1138

Dark_Lord_THX_1138 Jedi Youngling

Jun 17, 2009
    I liked The Last Crusade as well, but it's not my favourite. Raiders Of The Lost Ark will always be the best. News of Indy 5 is quite exciting though

15. Darth_Deus

Darth_Deus Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 11, 2000
    It's been several years since I posted here. I was glad to see my old screen name still worked. Sadly, my original screen name from circa 1996 doesn't work! Oh well!

Indy 5? Really? Do George and Steven think there are still people they haven't totally p*ssed off?? I like Ep1. Ep2 wasn't great, but I gave George a pass. Ep3 was pretty good. Indy 4?!?! What the F???? What the F????? It looked all wrong. The cinematography was off, the color was off, it just didn't look anything like the other films. And I haven't even gotten to the story and special effects yet!!!

If Indy 5 isn't the greatest movie of all time, George and Steven will be remembered not for all the great movies they did, but for how they lost their touch and repeatedly annoyed the crap out of their fans with sub par work.

16. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Um, no they won't. For every "fan" they "pissed off", there are countless new ones. People shouldn't always think that just because they didn't like something everyone else is of the same opinion as well. There are people who didn't like the original Star Wars and Indiana Jones movies, does that mean that no one likes these movies and they are rubbish?

Don't see how the cinematography or color was off. It looked pretty much like the old movies, whith small changes because it's a completely different decade after all. The special effects are perfectly fine, and so is the story. Not a big fan of aliens, but then again, it fits into the 50s. Not to mention that Fate of Atlantis all but said aloud that aliens were involved, and no one complained about that one, quite the opposite actually.

Indy 4 could have been better, but then again that's true for pretty much every movie out there.

17. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Well, I like KOTCS but I do have to agree that Janusz Kaminski's photography for Spielberg's summer blockbusters(TLW,KOTCS) don't touch Allen Daviau's(ET) or Dean Cundey's(Jurassic Park).

18. Darth_Deus

Darth_Deus Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 11, 2000
    If you don't see how the color and cinematography were off, you're hopeless! Indiana Jones isn't suppose to look CG! So much of Indy 4 had a fake, CG look to it that it distracted from the movie! Indy 4 looked like it was made by someone entirely different than the previous 3 movies. If you don't "see" it, I can't help you. Perhaps you need to watch them all again.

19. Jedi Vince

Jedi Vince Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 2, 1999
    I don't think the color and cinematography were "off". Douglas Slocombe was the DP for the first three films. His style clearly reflected the '30s style of the films. He died years ago, so Indy 4 actually WAS made by a different person.

For the last film, Spielberg used his personal DP Janusz Kaminsky. Along with his typical washed-out look, Kaminsky also worked to evoke the feeling of '50s sci-fi films.

I think the new look was good -- especially since Indy is now in the atomic era.

20. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Nah. Lucas seems to already have that reputation amongst a very sizable portion of fans and media. Spielberg seems to have it as well on a smaller scale, although to me it seems like his recognized classics are beloved enough that I doubt his reputation will be tarnished one way or another regardless of his future releases.

I say bring on Indy V, though. Crystal Skull wasn't perfect, but I'll still take it any day over recent action/adventure fare like Star Trek, Terminator Salvation, any non-Nolan superhero film, etc.

21. woj101

woj101 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Feb 19, 2000
    There's definitely something not quite right about the photography or lighting in much of the Area 51 stuff at the start of the film. When they're standing outside the big hangar/warehouse, it really looks like they've green-screened the whole thing. The y may well have done, I don't know, although looking at some of the production stills on the DVD it does look like they were 'on location', so either they green-screened some re-shoots, or the lighting was just really OTT. That lighting definitely grates with me, but overall I do like the film, and am happy that they're looking at doing a 5th. KOTCS does seem like another victim of middle-aged boys anticipating one thing and feeling let down when they get something else. The dynamics in the film were always going to be different because of Indy's age, but the same spirit of adventure, mythology and fun were there. If you're going to critique the films, none of them will ever approach Raiders for impeccable quality from start to finish, but every additional adventure is welcome because Indy is such a great character. As gthey identify in the Indy 4 dvd extras, Harrison Ford and the character of Indiana Jones are such a perfect marriage that whatever he gets up to, I'd like to see, and want more of.

Additionally, I think the crystal skulls were a great Mcguffin - as a kid I loved the Mysterious Cities of Gold cartoon so I love the Mayan links. If anything though, I would say the power wielded by the skulls isn't really touched on enough within the film, but there was enough there to whet my appetite and want to research the topic outside of the film.

I wonder whether, if they do make more Indy films, they'll decide to make another one with a definite ending to the franchise. The end of Last Crusade was so good that I don't see how that can be matched, let alone bettered. So perhaps they'd just go for discreet adventures that don't necessarily have to be looked at as a continuance of the previous character arc.

22. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    It was never going to look quite the same because I highly doubt they have anything approaching the old film stocks anymore. And obviously it's a different DP. But the only thing that really bugged me was that Kaminsky used *way* too many unmotivated lens flares. This happens when a DP tries to mimick someone else's work - he saw lens flares in the old trilogy, and worked too hard to put them into Skull.

I am excited about Indy V. I mean, I know, it could royally suck. But I am such an Indy glutton that I will absolutely see anything they do.

-sj loves kevin spacey

23. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    At first when I heard about Indy 5 I thought it wasnt such a great idea. But if theyre doing it because they arent satisfied with KOCS, then I actually would like to see them have another go at it. KOTCS isnt up to the standards of the first 3, but like some other people have said, it is better than a lot of crap that comes out today. KOTCS had some good things and some bad things. I think one of the biggest mistakes was doing a hybrid of the science fiction alien idea and the traditional historical method of the first 3. They should have gone all the way with one or the other. The problem I had was that some of the action and stunts got a little too rediculous.

I dont see what people mean when they are saying that the color doesnt match the first 3. Maybe I will have to see it again, but they seem to match for me. I do remember Speilberg saying that he and Kaminsky worked very closely to try to emulate what Slocumbe had done in the first 3.

24. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    As soon as Indy IV happened, the fifth installment was more or less inevitable (in my mind.) If you are going to revisit the franchise, in the way they did--then it is going to be a few movies. If there had been no Mutt or Marion, I could see Indy IV as a stand-alone. But that isn't the movie they made.

25. d_arblay

d_arblay Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2005
    i like the idea of them making another couple (making 3 of the younger Indy, 3 of the older). i felt they were very clever in the last movie and certainly gave themselves enough story and character progression to work into. i actually seem to be one of the few people who really enjoyed it, save for a couple of bits here and there. I got what I expected and what I expected was to see a good old fashioned, quick-paced, tongue-in-cheek adventure film, with ridiculous, edge-of-your-seat set-pieces, great one-liners, fun characters and an engrossing plot.

I think Indy now suffers from a lot of what the Star Wars PT suffered from - the fans, culture and fashions have changed, yet the films have stuck to, at their very core, the same basic principles. Although I watched bits and pieces of Indy as a child I had no lasting memories of it and very much came back to it as a fresh observer shortly before Indy 4 was released (around a couple of years). I have to say, seeing all the films together over the same period for the first time, I truly believe there is no dip in quality 1-4. I think the fact it remained so consistent with such a gap in the production is quite unique. I've no doubt at all had Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull been released as the first Indy film in 1983, it would have been as successful and well regarded as Raiders Of The Lost Ark. And in equal measure, I've no doubt Raiders would have been criticised had it come out last year.

What I'm saying is, I hope there will be an Indy 5, as long as its in the same fashion as what has come before. But I dont think anyone who hated Indy 4 should be that enthusiastic about it. Its unlikely they'll regard it that highly, unless their only ambition is for it to be better than Indy 4 - which it may or may not be. Who can say?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.