main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lucas Says Indy 5 a Possibility?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by HanSolo29 , May 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    Producer Frank Marshall has asserted this is a false rumor. There is no script, they are not set to shoot next year, no idea has been settled on, and they are still in the "research phase".

2. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    [face_laugh]

Bleh, more aliens? I hope not.

3. Dark_J3dii

Dark_J3dii Jedi Youngling

Jun 14, 2010
    >>Spamming will get you nowhere.

4. Ulkesh2

Ulkesh2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2001
    Here's some food for thought regarding the fifth Indiana Jones movie.

Recent info indicates that the Devil's Triangle might be involved in Indy 5. Fine let's speculate...

Here is my bit of speculation. Ready?

The new film will likely take place in the year 1963 during the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Indy (and/or) Mutt is in Vietnam during America's 'Little Police Action'. Our heroes are looking for a fabled sword from Asian legend. Or perhaps they are in Greece seeking the fabled mirror of Narcissicus (sic). One or the other might be the opening McGuffin for the movie. Meanwhile from the depths of the Devil's Triangle an old evil begins to drive Castro and the Soviets mad. It seems that H.P. Lovecraft was right. The cult of the Deep Ones is on the prowl. Their leader might be Cthulhu itself.

Eh? [face_thinking]

5. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    That could be interesting. The main thing for me is that it focus on the supernatural, not the paranormal.

I do find it strange that after so many years of "struggling to find a good McGuffin" they're looking to put two Indy movies out in a 4-5 year span.

6. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    edit: nevermind.

7. Adali-Kiri

Adali-Kiri Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    I'm not one for believing someone who is simply called "the source" on a website, but do you have a Marshall quote for this? Statements by both Ford and Lucas in the past few months have signaled that the premise has been agreed upon and the script is underway. That would mean a writer is working with Lucas and Spielberg, but who could that be? Personally, I would rejoice if Terry Rossio and Ted Elliot were given a crack at it.

(Come to think of it, Marshall would obviously deny it no matter what, until there's a formal announcement.)

8. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000

Raiders,, Temple, and Crusade all came out within 5 years of the preceding film; Raiders in 1981, Temple in 1984, and Crusade in 1989. Kingdom is the exception, not the rule.

Maybe Indy could go look for the Shards Of Narsil this time. :p

9. Adali-Kiri

Jul 31, 2000
    I think the "struggle" to find the MacGuffin has less to do with available ideas than it has to do with Steven and Harrison nixing most things that George comes up with. After all, he's the one who does the work in that area, and the Crystal Skull was something that took a lot of convincing for Steven...

10. shanerjedi

shanerjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2010
    And I'm not sure Steven ever was fully convinced.

11. Separatist101

Separatist101 Jedi Master star 3

May 11, 2010
    I hope this happens

Indiana Jones rocks!

12. Chance the Jedi

Chance the Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 25, 2005
    Shia LaBeouf talks Indy 5.

Well, I'm pretty sure now that Shia is definitely going to be in it.[face_plain]

13. StarWarrior77

StarWarrior77 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 30, 2008
    I actually like Mutt, so I wouldn't mind if Shia was in the 5th movie.

14. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    I like Mutt as well I don't mind if he returns. As a matter of fact I can see them writing in a love interest for him that's one of the main plot points of the film.

15. Chance the Jedi

Chance the Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 25, 2005
    I think thats very likely to happen, since Indy is a married man now.:p

16. Obi-Chron

Obi-Chron Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2003
    I think it would be a lot of fun for Kate Capshaw to appear in a short cameo . . . introducing Indy to her daughter, who she thinks (surprise, surprise) is Indy's love child.

Mutt and 'what's her name' develop competitive relationship with lots of 'tension,' but the lurking 'half-sibling' thing keeps them at a distance.

At the end of the film -- plot tbd -- we find out the daughter is not really Indy's (and the competition between Mutt and 'what's her name' gains the potential to turn into 'something far more interesting').

17. bluesaber70

bluesaber70 Jedi Knight star 2

May 25, 2007
    I hope no one takes this the wrong way. But, I just don't understand why alot of people want Indy to take a walk down memory lane?

It doesn't fit the "today" story. The "today" story has Mutt. I say build on that.

The only exception I would make is to have a flashback sceen with Henry Jones Sr.

18. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Part of it might because of the poor reception that Crystal Skull got. We'd like to stick with characters and situations we know and love.

19. Adali-Kiri

Jul 31, 2000
    Well, "poor reception"...? It was a cracker at the box office and DVD sales, and even the critical reception was pretty good, covering everything from disastrous via fair to very good. I think forums like this one is where people might get the idea that the reception was poor, but most people aren't here, only some of us fanboys and -girls.

On the other hand, words from the Indy camp (like LaBeouf) indicate that they feel they could have made a stronger movie and are eager to have another crack at it. Fair enough, I think.

And they state at the end that Indy 5 comes to theaters in 2012, as if they know anything about it. [face_laugh]

20. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Poor reception is from my personal experience - here on the boards and offline, people that I interacted with all thought that Indy 4 didn't hold a candle to the original movies. But I suppose a lot of them are big Indy fans, and one is an archaeology grad student, so that might have something to do with their perception of the film.

21. DarthVengeant

DarthVengeant Jedi Master star 3

Oct 14, 2004
    Indy 4 was a complete devastation, horrible. I realize they are planning to make Indy 5, but I really have no interest in it. Just leave it alone.

Indy died after 3 in my opinion.

22. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    If you caught the interview Harrison Ford did on Conan, then he says that "Maybe" Indy 5 will occur. He also said that he would love to do another movie.

23. shanerjedi

shanerjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2010
    I did see that. That was a bizzare, great, strange, interview all rolled into one.

24. Truffaut

Truffaut Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 4, 2010
    I enjoyed the picture. It was, by far, the least of the Indiana Jones films ? undone by silliness and at times encumbered in leaden exposition ? but nevertheless it was a thrilling spectacle, transporting in its pulpy grandeur. Plus, after years of somnambulistic performances in generic retreads like "Hollywood Homicide" and "Firewall", it was nice to see Harrison Ford once again fully engaged, delivering a lively, full-blooded portrayal of one of the cinema's most iconic heroes.

25. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    It seemed Ford was drunk for the interview.
    Anyway, if there is a 5th movie--I know Lucas will want to continue forward with the Indy-Mutt storyline to parallel the father-son dynamics of the last crusade (someone please tell Lucas that movie franchises do not have to repeat or mirror the same family relationships and story arcs)
    The better route to go is to set any future movie as a prequel to that last movie.
    Pull a Temple of Doom and just set the movie several years before Indy 4. The 4th movie was such a game changer with aliens, weddings and lost sons. Turn back the clock and give us what we waited for--Indiana Jones on an adventure (and keep the Soviets--that was the only good idea from the last one.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.