Lucas Says Indy 5 a Possibility?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by HanSolo29, May 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Princess_Tina Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Well, seems like the official word is that they have yet to find an object that Indy could seek... maybe they don't want to give too much away just yet? [face_thinking]

Will 'Crystal Skull' be the next-to-last crusade?
    By Anthony Breznican, USA TODAY
    One thing creator/producer George Lucas needs to unearth before there can be an Indiana Jones 5: an object for Indy to seek.

In previous installments, Harrison Ford's character has pursued the Ark of the Covenant, Sankara Stones, the Holy Grail and now the Crystal Skull of Akatar. Coming up with the skull took a while, and he doesn't expect the next inspiration to happen overnight.

Asked about a sequel at a Cannes Film Festival party, he says he answered: "'I guess if I found an object for him to go after, we could do the sequel. But it took me 20 years to find the last object, so I don't know whether that will ever happen.' "

Somehow, that comment fueled more talk of a sequel being in the works. Not true, Lucas says. And he can't be forced. "After the success of the first one, we decided to do these only if they're fun to make and have a good story behind them. We don't need to make these for the money. The idea has to come naturally."

Until it does, he has plenty to occupy his time. There's Red Tails, a film about the Tuskegee Airmen, which he'll hire a director for and hopes to shoot later this year.

And he has another tour through the Star Wars universe: The Clone Wars, an animated feature opening Aug. 15. It tells the story of Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker from the time immediately before Revenge of the Sith. That launches a similarly animated series on Cartoon Network.

Lucas also plans a live-action TV show set during the period between the prequels and the start of the original film. "It's basically a whole different group of people in the same universe," he says. The big difference between the movies and TV show: "If the epic of Star Wars is about the gods, this giant mythological battle between good and evil that's going on at the highest level, the (live-action TV) story is about the everyman slug who lives at the bottom of the barrel."

Find this article at:
    http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2008-05-26-lucas-skull-sequel_N.htm
  2. Jaina_and_Jag Force Ghost

star 5
    Asked about a sequel at a Cannes Film Festival party, he says he answered: "'I guess if I found an object for him to go after, we could do the sequel. But it took me 20 years to find the last object, so I don't know whether that will ever happen.' "

Somehow, that comment fueled more talk of a sequel being in the works. Not true, Lucas says. And he can't be forced. "After the success of the first one, we decided to do these only if they're fun to make and have a good story behind them. We don't need to make these for the money. The idea has to come naturally."

And this is what makes me :( . I hope he actually DOES have a sequel in the works already, but I'm afraid he is going to take another 20 years with the story. :( And Harrison doesn't have that kind of time. I'd say that Indy V would have to be in theaters by 2012 at the very latest for Harrison to still be able to do it. And I think even that is stretching it. :(
  3. Princess_Tina Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Look at the bright side. They can always go back to almost any point of Indy's adult life and make animated movies. With today's 3-D CGI, it would look very good. Would it be the same as a live-action movie? No, but they could crank them out much faster. And HF could certainly go on doing Indy's voice even when he can't walk anymore. ;)

Seriously, if the new animated Star Wars does well, there's no reason to think they might not try the same thing with Indy. It could be a bit more like the Adventures of Young Indiana Jones, with all kinds of crazy situations where Indy came across influential figures of the 20th century. Tacky? Cheesy? Maybe, but still better than no more Indy for the rest of our lives.
  4. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Since Indy 5 or 6 should logically be set in the early-to-mid 60s, I think ^this should be a movie, and it should have a Raiders-eqsue ending with the U.S. government selling the land around the fountain to Walt Disney for the development of his "second Disney Land park".:D
  5. Princess_Tina Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Meh. If they make an Indy movie set in the 60's, they might as well set it in 1967 and call it Indiana Jones and the Secret of Haight-Ashbury :p
  6. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    How about Indiana Jones and the Pirates of the Caribbean with a senile Indy fighting audio-animatronics for two hours?

Of course, they could seize on the setup from PotC:AWE and do a franchise crossover where there's a Pirates movie about Jack & crew finding the Fountain of Youth and an Indy movie where he searches for the fountain and finds a bunch of long-lived pirates with whom he must team up in order to fight a bunch of zombie pirates.:p

Harrison Ford + Johnny Depp = WIN.
  7. Jaina_and_Jag Force Ghost

star 5
    Meh. I'm not a big fan of animated stuff. I probably will only watch the animated Star Wars fleetingly and probably the same if they made an animated Indiana Jones.
  8. Princess_Tina Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Now that many Hollywood blockbusters rely heavily on CGI (which is after all computer animation), the line between live-action and animation is starting to become a bit less clear.

What if they made an animated Indy movie with the same technology they used on Beowulf? It would look almost exactly the same as the live-action, and would probably be easier to keep making them for a few more years.
  9. Jaina_and_Jag Force Ghost

star 5
    [face_sick] Sorry. Beowulf was absolutely horrible, IMHO. But that wasn't necessarily the way it was made... it was more of just the fact that I didn't like anything about it.... wait. [face_thinking]

Anyway, idk how I'd feel about something like that. I guess I'd watch it, but I don't know if I would love it like I do live-action movies.
  10. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    Animated would be completely counter to the entire style of Indy, sorry.

Lucas, arg. We've already thrown out some good ideas for artefacts (ahem, Excalibur?!). Read fan ideas you moron.

-sj loves kevin spacey
  11. Princess_Tina Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    On the contrary, I think, it would be a lot easier to preserve the old-fashioned spirit without being tied down to the limitations that live-action involves... ;)
  12. I_Heart_Han_Solo Jedi Knight

star 2

HA! [face_laugh] Mutt: "That's my mother your talking about!" I swear, this was the funniest part of KOTCS.

Yeah, Henry Jones, III would not be too thrilled with "Daddio" acting flirty with the latest 19-year old sidekick adventurer du jour.

Mutt: "How did you know she was a KGB?"
    Indy: "Hmmm?"
    Mutt: "How DID you know she was a KGB?"
    Indy: "She talks in her sleep."

13. SkottASkywalker Jedi Master

star 4
    Maybe in a fith INDIANA JONES movie, Indy could be searching for Noah's Ark.

It could be titled . . .

INDIANA JONES AND THE . . .

RAIDERS . . .

OF THE . . .

LOST ARK

Maybe?

Or something similar. :p
  14. UltimateJustin Jedi Knight

The CGI SW movie and show might have worked if it was animated like a really good Square-Enix or Marvel Ult. Alliance game (I thought Beowulf looked really blocky and goofy) but since it looks more like Toy Story in character design, its a total missed oppurtunity. Traditional 2D animation would delight my sensibilities, but an all CGI Indy movie would be unwatchable for me. Just make another one with Shia in space.
  15. chibiangi Force Ghost

star 4
    How would they manage it? Indiana cannot find it and refuse to take a sip...Imagine, CGI facelift...
  16. Jango10 Force Ghost

star 5
  17. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    Only thing is, that would take us back to the Middle East once again. And I think it's a bit too similar to the Ark of the Covenant in the whole 'Tablet from God' thing. It's not a bad idea, but I would prefer Excalibur.

-sj loves kevin spacey
  18. Jango10 Force Ghost

star 5
    Mesopotamia is in between the Tigris and Euphrates, which could also mean Turkey, which is also rather close to the Soviet Union.

Excalibur could be cool. Who would be Indy's enemies? The IRA?
  19. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    Er, but Babylon was in Iraq. I just mean in terms of landscape and whatnot. I think Europe would be interesting. But I also think something with Africa would be rad.

-sj loves kevin spacey
  20. Jango10 Force Ghost

star 5
    Yeah, most of it was in Iraq, but I just said Turkey because that would kind of take us out of the generic Middle-Eastern desert.
  21. Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    1. Turkey is not between the Tigris and Euphrates, but several hundred miles west of those rivers.

2. The IRA is Irish; Excalibur is British. Two different countries.
  22. Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I would very much like to see the Soviets as the bad guys again. Although they should pull a page from the James Bond rule book and make them rogue Soviet agents acting outside the authority of Moscow. Although adding a second group of villains would really shake things up.
  23. Princess_Tina Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    How about a group of American double-agents?

j/k :p
  24. Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    That's what I'm leaning towards. American agents on one side, Soviet agents on the other, and Indiana Jones caught in the middle.
  25. ObiWanCon Force Ghost

star 4
    I like that idea I like that a lot, when I first saw Kingdom I thought that might happen with the FBI the ones that chase Indy on Mutt's bike instead of the KGB, so I'd like that in Indy V.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.