main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lucas Says Indy 5 a Possibility?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by HanSolo29 , May 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dv909

dv909 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2005
    I love the possibility of an Indy V. Then I'd have an Indy movie for each day of the work week. I could plan my own after-school 4:30 Movie themed week like they did with Planet Of The Apes and the Japanese monster movies. GO GAMERA!!!

Anyway, I like the idea of the Soviets being the villains again. It would definitely have to be as Lucas has suggested, Indy and Mutt on an adventure with Indy in the Sean Connery role (but much more).

I would also like to see Indy set out for something specifically for the museum that Marcus Brody mentions in Raiders. Where he and Mutt set off on a 'regular' archeological dig and then all hell breaks loose. What exactly? No idea.

But Indiana Jones is my absolute favorite fictional character. And I LOVED "Crystal Skull!!!"

2. Jango10

Jango10 Jedi Master star 5

Sep 22, 2002
    The Tigris and Euphrates begin in southeastern Turkey, run into Syria, Iraq, and then into the Persian Gulf.

I know the IRA is Irish, but they weren't exactly best friends with the British during the '50s and '60s. Seems like they would try to get their hands on something like Excalibur to overthrow the British. Maybe they could be working with the Russians?

3. Palpateen

Palpateen Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2000

Excalibur definitely gets my vote. That would be the perfect Indy movie.

4. Darth Mace

Darth Mace Jedi Master star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    Not sure if it's been stated in this thread, but I have seen somewhere that Lucas supposedly said back in the day that he wanted to do 5 Indy movies. I think this was around the time of Raiders.

Now, if this is true, does anyone know the basis for him thinking it could be 5 movies? Lucas had said the same things in the past about Star Wars being anywhere from 6 to 9 to even 12 movies. Whether you like it or not, SW at least had a continuing "saga" that does make sense to span multiple films. But with Indy, for the most part (where KotCS breaks this mold a bit), each of the films can work as a stand alone story. So with that notion, why would he think 5 films would work? It sounds to me as though he would have had 5 good MacGuffin's which would translate to the five films. But as we know now, that's what took nearly 20 years for the current film is that Lucas didn't have a MacGuffin that he liked. So again, why would he think 5 films were possible?

Oh, and I would love to see a 5th film. And I'll throw this out there even though I'm not convinced it would be the best direction. Unless the point is to turn it over to Mutt and have some films only starring Mutt (which I honestly don't think will appeal to a mass market even though I'd be interested), then how about cranking out a film in the next 2-3 years, leave out Marion and Mutt because the next film takes place in...1956. The series already did it once with ToD. I'm just not sure that it would play out very well to make another film that becomes another Jones family adventure.

5. jedibri

jedibri Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2000
    Excalibur would make for a good story line. If Mutt were the lead character the perhaps it would be "Mutt Jones and the ......"

6. WookieeWarrior9

WookieeWarrior9 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 5, 2007
    I loved how Indy had an entourage this time. It was a nice change of pace for a man who normally does it alone. I don't really care about others, but I just want to see Indy, Marion, and Mutt all back in action, even if they take a back seat to Indy. I do hope they he is the one who gets the others involved this time, not the other way around.

7. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Indy 5? Please no. I mildly enjoyed Indy 4, but don't think that it deserves a sequel. Mutt just didn't interest me that much. Now that we got Indy 4, I'd almost wished it stopped for good after Last Crusade.

8. newatlanta19006

newatlanta19006 Jedi Youngling

Jun 2, 2008
    I think they should make Indy 5 for sure. Indy 4 was 4/5 for me but still leaves me wanting more. I think handing off the fedora in the next film sounds great! Maybe a movie where Indy needs saving at some point (like ToD and short round) except more meaningful b/c its his son. Anyway, I have compiled a short list of possible macguffins:

Good Choices:
    Golden Fleece
    Mjolnir, Thor's Hammer
    Seal of Solomon or Staff of Solomon
    Orichalcum

Stretches:
    Poseiden's Trident
    Aegis, Zeus' shield (or any Greek mythological relic)
    Leviathan's Skin (able to be turned into everlasting clothing or impenetrable suits of armor)
    The Magic Swords (ancient China) Tomb of the three kings
    Cintamani (one of four ancient buddhist relics)
    Amenonuhoko (ancient japanese sword used to create the world)

Previously mentioned:
    Excalibur
    Garden of Eden
    Atlantis
    Tablets of Destiny

Any thoughts/comments/ideas?

9. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    I?ve just come up with an opening sequence to Indy V, now it?s very connected and many may not like it but here it goes...

Indy V opens in 1959 with Indy & Mutt in the heart of Russia, Moscow they are there to retrieve a great artefact that the Russians have stolen. Indy & Mutt sneak into a high security facility in some cool way that a writer can come up with and when they get to the artefact the artefact is none other than the Ark of the Covenant witch the Russians stole from the warehouse at the start of Kingdom. Indy & Mutt then race against time to get the Ark out of Moscow before the Russians capture them, so in a fantastic action sequence both Indy & Mutt escape from Russia with the Ark and that is the opening of Indy V.

Well what do you all think?

My 3,100th Post.

10. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    If the Russians had noticed the Ark back in Hanger 51 they surely would have opened it and everybody would died.

11. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Obi-WanCon, you suggest a repeat of "Raiders." Its time for a new macguffin. Newatlanta has some good ideas above.

-Seldon

12. LordNyax113

LordNyax113 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 11, 2007
    Indiana Jones and the REAL Shroud of Turin!

13. jedibri

jedibri Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2000
    I vote for Excalibur with Mutt leading the charge. It can work and would make for a great story. A Jones needs to look for something from mid-eviel times.

14. Kol_Skywalker

Kol_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006
    The 5th film is to be set in Australia:

Indiana Jones and the Didjeridoo of Kakadu

15. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    :eek:

I'd really like to google "Didjeridoo of Kakadu" but I'm afraid you just made that up on the spot... [face_thinking]

16. Kol_Skywalker

Kol_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006
    Kakadu [think Crocodile Dundee] is a world famous national park in the Northern Territory.

A Didjeridoo is a musical instrument of Indigenous Australians.

17. newatlanta19006

newatlanta19006 Jedi Youngling

Jun 2, 2008
    The Shroud of Turin doesnt work because it holds no supernatural power. Its just a famous piece of cloth. Indy's macguffin's must hold some grand secret or power. Its what drives the villians and Indy to race for the items in the first place.

See my post above for some ideas. For example, Excalibur works because supposedly anyone who wields Excalibur is invincible and all powerful. A perfect fit for greedy Russians.

18. LordNyax113

LordNyax113 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 11, 2007
    Darn computers' inability to display humor.

19. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    A point of clarification on Excalibur here, from an Arthurian expert (that is, myself). It was the scabbard of the sword that was reputed to protect the bearer from shedding blood. This does not mean s/he is invincible, or that s/he cannot be injured in some other way. Further, the sword itself was magical, yes, but there is no legend in the medieval sources of which I am aware that ever speaks of the sword making the wielder "all-powerful". I'm not sure there is enough here to make it the macguffin of an IJ movie.

20. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    Technically, if the Shroud of Turin exists/existed, it would contain Jesus' blood or DNA, which could be considered as possibly holding some sort of magnificent power to be harvested. Its a little too Davince Code for Indiana Jones I think though.

21. Anakin_Skywalker20

Anakin_Skywalker20 Jedi Master star 5

Nov 16, 2000
    INDIANA JONES PROMO IN JAPAN
    ...open on Indy V but not yet decided on details

HFW Gallery 1 Harrison Ford, Karen Allen, George Lucas, Kathleen Kennedy and Frank Marshall have gone to Japan to promote Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. We have pictures from today's press conference in Tokyo (click thumbnail left), where Harrison and George Lucas just couldn't resist a little impromptu prank.

Crystal Skull opens in Tokyo on
    June 14 and in the rest of Japan on June 21.

(Note: We assume that the June 6 date as seen in the the background [thumb, left] refers to the release of the Lego Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures game for PC and major consoles.

Harrison said at the press conference that the Indiana Jones adventure series was 'shamelessly' made for the audience: "There is no series of films that I have done that have the same spirit and are so, if you will, shamelessly made for the audience -- not to pander to them, but to give them an exciting ride."

George Lucas said the entire cast was excited when Ford put the Indy costume back on for the latest film. "It seems to happen on every movie, every Indiana Jones movie we do. There is this magic moment when Harrison appears on the set in his outfit and puts his hat on. That just transports everyone into a magic place. I don't know why. Even in 'Star Wars' we don't have an iconic figure who does the same."

Both Ford and scriptwriter George Lucas repeated that they were open to another episode of the series, although they have not yet decided on details.

www.harrisonfordweb.com

Other Sources:
    WireImage
    IMDb
    indianajones.lego.com
    LucasArts
    Yahoo News

22. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Neither is/was there any evidence that Crystal Skulls have any sort or magical power (and indeed have been proven not to be ancient crafts of long-dead civilisations) but in fiction, you can do whatever you want.

23. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    ^ ^ ^ Look, evidence schmevidence. I was just offering my expert knowledge (as insignificant as it might be) to correct an assertion made by someone about the supposed legendary powers of the sword. He (was it you?) was ascribing powers to the sword in legend which legend does not actually ascribe. End of transmission.

24. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Dude, why all the hostility? And it wasn't me who was talking about Excalibur in the first instance, as a simple look back through the thread would show.

You said "I'm not sure there is enough here to make it the macguffin of an IJ movie."

That's what I commented on. The Macguffin quality - I even quoted your statement to make it clear that was what I was wanting to discuss - showing how things in movies do not have to be historically (or adhere to the known legends, in this case) correct.

You scolded Tina on this forum a while back for using a :rolleyes: at one of your comments. It would be really nice to not have to put up with snarky "Look, evidence schmevidence." and "End of transmission" type comments from you every time someone wants to discuss a topic that you have stamped your supposed authority on.

For a discussion board, why the resistance to wanting to, y'know, discuss stuff?

25. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    =D=

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.