main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lucas Says Indy 5 a Possibility?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by HanSolo29 , May 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Just a reminder - let's all play nice. :)

In response to the article Anakin_Skywalker posted, I just saw that too and I was gonna link to it but I saw you beat me to it. It certainly sounds as if they are serious about going ahead with another one, which I personally find to be great news.

2. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    I think there has been a miscommuncation here. It's difficult to convey tone in a text message. I did not intend hostility, to you (jp30) or anyone else, in the slightest. I said "evidence schmevidence" because I had not been addressing "evidence" in my post, and in my own mind this was an amusing way of pointing that out: not snarky or eye-rolling, merely playfully pointed. I had noted that another member's explanation of a legend was factually incorrect. You said that there didn't need to be evidence of anything since this is fiction, and I replied to the extent that I was not addressing "evidence" and explained my point. If my "end of transmission" conclusion was in the least bit offensive, I apologize. I did not mean it to be such. I meant "that is the limit of what I meant to say, no more, no less". In other words, "I think that you missed my point and that you believed I was saying something I wasn't".

Please discuss stuff. That's what we're all here for. But I'm going to discuss stuff, too, and if I think you're in error, I'm going to point it out, and if you miss what I'm saying, I'm going to address it. I expect the same from you and everyone else here.

3. Anakin_Skywalker20

Anakin_Skywalker20 Jedi Master star 5

Nov 16, 2000
    sweeet

[face_peace] [face_cowboy]

im game

4. AnakinBrego

AnakinBrego Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 15, 2004
    I want them to make another one, I had a heck of alot of fun watching KOTCS! :D

5. Captain_Typho

Captain_Typho Jedi Master star 5

Jul 30, 2003
    I never thought a mod would have to say something like that on this board. It's Indiana freaken Jones for crying out loud. This is supposed to be fun! Everyone take a chill pill. :)

6. Anakin_Skywalker20

Nov 16, 2000
    hey man.

It'll be interested to see if we get some more confirmation on Indy V.

7. Jack1138

Jack1138 Jedi Master star 5

Jan 8, 2005
    It was clearly 'hinted' at the end of KOTCS when Mutt grabbed the hat as it blew in and went to put it on.

At that moment Indy took the hat and placed it back on his own head as like saying, "Not YET Junior!" :p

As to the 'maguffin' Lucas whines about, one of the earlier drafts for Indy 4 had him going after the Lost City of Atlantis... I thought that was a good one. ...Bermuda Triangle, Many other things in the world. I want this thing to go on! :)

Wasn't there originally supposed to be 5 Indy flicks anyway as I have read?

8. Captain_Typho

Captain_Typho Jedi Master star 5

Jul 30, 2003
    I would love to see a film adaptation of the Fate of Atlantis computer game (updated to fit the times of course) made into an Indy film. The story itself is just so incredibly good and it would make a very good film.

9. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    I agree, while Atlantis has been done in many ways in Movies and TV I think it's a very strong McGuffin and could have great action and excitement so hopefully there will be an Indy V and it would be nice to have a companion to KINGDOM with an older Indy and set in the 50's.

Indiana Jones 5 Please [face_praying][face_praying][face_praying][face_praying][face_praying]

10. jedibri

jedibri Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2000
    Here's why I like the ideal of Excalibur.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excalibur

11. LordSilvertouch

LordSilvertouch Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2003
    I did a fan-treatment for Indiana Jones and the Torch of the Gods.
    As in the original torch supposedly stolen from the Gods at Mount Olympus by Prometheus in order to bring fire to the world. It could work so long as there is zero reference to the Olympic Torch as it is used today for the Olympic Games.

12. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    That's a fairly comprehensive article. Note that in legend, the scabbard has the power to heal wounds and that the sword shines brightly enough to blind enemies. Those are its only powers beyond conferring kingship (when it is considered the same as the Sword in the Stone). Whether this would make a compelling enough macguffin for an IJ film I leave to you. But I will say that since Morgan LeFay stole the scabbard and threw it in a lake, the tracking down of both artifacts -- scabbard and sword -- might make for some fun IJ-style archeological detective work.

13. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Why not? All the Indy movies take privelleges with their legends. They create their own versions of legends based on existing ones. I mean, the Grail legends are mostly that it was brought back to Europe and protected by the Knights Templar. There's no such legend as the Brothers of the Cruciform Sword. And, perhaps I just don't know the legend well enough, but I don't know that the whole 'drink from it and you'll live forever' is a really prominent thing connected with the grail. The film conflaits the Eternal Life promised by Christ spiritually with the dream of living forever on earth. Which is fine, I think they made their own nice version of the legend.

And they definitely did that with Skull. They took several different strains (Mayan legends of aliens, Crystal Skulls) that don't have to do with one another and wove them together into a *new* legend. I think that's mostly what the Indy films do. So coming up with a new legend to associate with Excalibur seems like a good idea.

Raiders is, to my knowledge, the only Indy film that pretty much keeps to actual archaeological and historical legends in terms of Shishaq, Tanis, the Bible's accounts of the Ark's power... but even there, the staff, the map room, the well of the Souls are all inventions.

-sj loves kevin spacey

14. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    Fair points, all. But part of the problem I have with Last Crusade is the amount of liberties it takes with/attaches to the Grail legend. There are any number of actual medieval romances to draw from for its powers and final resting place, rather than inventing new stuff out of whole cloth. The Ark is given its accurate legendary powers, even if its resting place had to be invented for the sake of the story, and as far as I know the same is true with the Shankara Stones. If Excalibur and its scabbard were the macguffin of Indy V, and the filmmakers took liberties with its legend and powers just for the sake of making a bankable film, I and other Arthurian students would probably have a problem with it.

15. Jango10

Jango10 Jedi Master star 5

Sep 22, 2002
    I can see something to the effect of the scabbard being found, and that sends Indy on a quest to find the sword itself.

16. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I can see your point, Vort, but the bottom-line is that the films aren't really made to please archaeologists or historians, or they'd have a big problem :p They're meant to have good stories. Crusade obviously bends things a lot, but I think it still has a good story because of what they did with it.

-sj loves kevin spacey

17. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    Considering the throwbacks to American Graffiti and Close Encounters in the new movie, I think number 5 should at least feature a giant man-eating shark, and perhaps some dinosaurs for good measure.

Indiana Jones and the Lost World*?

*Arthur Conan Doyle's, not Michael Crichton's;)

18. Anakin_Skywalker20

Nov 16, 2000
    That'll be fun. :D

Instead of Spielberg doing JP4, he can put dinos in IJ V :p

19. Thrawn1786

Thrawn1786 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 8, 2004
    Add me to the list of people who want to see Excalibur be the MacGuffin for Indy V, if such truly happens. It would be interesting to see them tackle the Christian/'pagan'(I use that term because I don't know what the worship of the Goddess/priestesses of Avalon would be called) aspects of the legend. Maybe there could be something like the knight who protected the grail, some descendants of the priestesses of Avalon(if not the priestesses themselves) to serve as the supernatural element?

I just don't see how the Fountain of Youth would work. Leave this plot idea to POTC 4(if it is made), it wouldn't be hard to restore Jack Sparrow or Barbossa to younger ages. Indy would be rather tricky.

Atlantis, on the other hand, could possibly work, if this question can be answered in a logical way: what would the reason for finding Atlantis be besides it being a great archeological find? The previous artifacts have all had reasonably solid motives for the villains to want them, so why would they want to find the lost city? I'm being serious, so please don't go after me for sounding dumb. [face_blush]

20. CaptSparrow

CaptSparrow Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 5, 2006
    I was browsing around the internet, it seems as if Speilberg will play it by ear if another is to be made, but since the amount of the money this one has made, getting almost as much as Iron Man in half the time, there will be another one.

21. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Well, in the game it was because the Atlanteans had found an enormously powerful energy source, and created a machine to bestow amazing powers on people who used it. Worked quite well, I thought.

22. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    That would be cool, I think. I had always imagined that Indy hunting for the legendary dinosaur-creatures found in legends from African tribes would be an interesting story angle, if handled right.

Personally, I'm bored of the medieval/christian relic ideas, which is why I find an Arthurian plot uninteresting, even though Arthurian legend is itself fascinating. There so many more interesting things from other cultures and time periods, be it Norse or Chinese. Its a shame that they probably would be hesitant to do any sort of mesopotamian type of story because the whole mid-east locale has been exploited already in two films. A Gilgamesh-centric thing would be great, but then the whole "quest for eternal life" theme was again already done for Crusade.

I think the problem with so many of these ideas is that its always about a quest for an object with some kind of power, but how many times can you do that? The Indy series has been great so far because nothing was repeated--you had an object sought as a superweapon (Raiders), an object sought basically as a good luck charm/fertility symbol and also just as a good old fashioned relic (Doom), and an object sought for eternal life (Crusade). Crystal Skull could have easily been a retread of Raiders--bad guys want some relic because it holds a power that can be harnassed and unleashed upon the world--but it was saved by the extra-terrestrial twist, which made it unique and totally changed the way the story unfolded. I think thats the biggest problem--every story you can come up with about wanting some item for its mystical power is sort of a repeat of what was already done. Maybe thats why I liked stuff like the Monkey King script from way back (even though the script itself was weak), or the proposed "Lost World"ish idea; Indy's an archeologist after all, sometimes he might go after something just because it interests him as an archeologist, theres enough conflict and adventure just on that premise alone for a film--maybe thats why the opening of Raiders and the entirety of Temple of Doom are my favorite Indy bits, they are basically built around that premise instead of this "Racing against a super-power for possession of a weapon" type of thing thats sort of been done to death.

23. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Except money had little to do with Kingdom getting made. No fifth film will get made because of how much Kingdom makes, but it will get made if the big three come up with a great idea that they love and a script that they want to make.

24. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    Zombie makes some good points about the done-to-death "race against a super-power for a supernatural weapon that could destroy the world" plotline. Reticence to repeat this plot would exclude Excalibur, but would allow Atlantis and/or some kind of lost dino valley. The paranormal angle in KCS opens up a realm of possibility as well, with Nessie, Bigfoot, Marfa lights, ball lightning, etc. being candidates for inclusion in some kind of uber-paranormal story, although now we're treading on X Files ground and it would be important to keep the plot unique and IJ-ish.

25. DarthGeist

DarthGeist Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 3, 2008
    While I wouldn't mind a paranormal plotline, I would like to see Indy chase a religous artifact to keep up the trend (Ark, S. Stones, Grail, Skull, insert religous artifact here).

Also, I LOVE that the Spear of Destiny (the spear that pierced the side of Christ) was packaged as a relic with the Mutt action figure. I think that would be an AMAZING Indy adventure

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.