main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lucas Says Indy 5 a Possibility?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by HanSolo29 , May 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jango10

Jango10 Jedi Master star 5

Sep 22, 2002
    I kinda agree with zombie, Indy could just go after some item of great value, but maybe does not have any powers itself.

2. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    I don't know why but the Spear of Destiny is starting to grow on me it might not be a strong enough McGuffin but there's still something I really like about it and I really like Atlantis and Excalibur as possible McGuffins as well, so out of this three which title is the best.

Indiana Jones And The Lost City Of Atlantis

Indiana Jones And The Spear Of Destiny

Indiana Jones And the Quest for Excalibur

3. QuiWanKenJin

QuiWanKenJin Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2005
    ObiWanCon posted: MUTT WILLIAMS AND THE QUEST FOR A NEW FRANCHISE

I had heard that they were thinking about having Shia's character the hero character in the next one, and Harrison would have a role similar to that of Sean Connery in the Last Crusade, kind of like a passing of the torch, if you know what I mean. If this is what they're planning I hope they don't go through with it. This would suck!:mad: If it's not about Indy and his expeditions, they should really stop while they're ahead. I'm sure some of you would agree with me.

4. kingthlayer

kingthlayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 7, 2003
    INDIANA JONES AND THE ROOF OF THE WORLD

Now how is that for a corny, serial title?

Locations: Cuba, United States, Tibet

Indiana Jones V, if there is to be one, shouldn't have the Russians as villains again. I would suggest Chinese communists or something, but perhaps it would be time to turn the page and have Indy going up against pirates, or a rich-guy kind of menace like Walter Donovan, who is simply backed by mercenaries rather than a rival nation. That shouldn't mean it can't involve a rival country in some form!

I would really like to see it involve Shangri la, the mythical kingdom in the Himalayas. It can sort of double as a Garden of Eden story, without dabbling too much into Biblical folklore, sort of like what they did with El Dorado.

I think a neat opening sequence could involve Indy becoming caught up into the tumultuous revolutionary movement in Cuba. Perhaps Indy and Mutt are investigating an ancient shipwreck which contains mysterious coins, ultimately being a clue to the location to Shangri La. Everything seems to be going fine, until BOOM Fidel Castro agent's start wreaking havoc and Indy and Mutt must escape.

Getting into Shangri la would require infiltrating Tibet and the watch of the Chinese soldiers who have occupied it, so Indy could be forced to team up with the villain to avoid being captured. They even could be captured and thus must escape from the prison camp.

Ultimately the quest would take Indy into the frozen peaks and caverns of the Himalayans. Aside from the opening of TOD and the bit in Raiders in Nepal, Indy hasn't had a frozen adventure, so it would be interesting. Lots of neat action sequences would be possible, involving avalanches, and perhaps even a helicopter dogfight. Indy and the villain could steal a helicopter to escape from the Chinese, only to be followed. At this point Indy decides its time to say "bye" to the villains and starts putting together some crazy escape. Imagine Indy whipping back and forth between two choppers!

Of course the villains would be motivated to control the secret powers of Shangri la. A final showdown in some isolated Buddhist-like monastary would end the film.

If that was the next Indy, I'd be pretty excited.

5. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    ^ ^ ^ Okay, that's the best idea for a sequel I've heard so far. One of the only elements it's lacking is the supernatural climax. Also, the father-son dynamic will need to be fleshed out. But it's an extremely winning concept! Since we're just posting ideas on the internet, it's probable nothing will come of it, but you mught try pitching it to Lucasbooks, for the IJ series of adventure novels!

6. kingthlayer

kingthlayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 7, 2003
    Thanks Vortigern!

Another possibility would be to tie in some mythology about Genghis Khan, since I'm pretty sure he is involved in Tibetan history. I'm not well researched in Shangri la mythology to throw out any ideas about supernatural phenomena though. But just by looking at some of Tibet's architecture, that location would make for some beautiful cinematography. If only.

7. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I don't know how Khan ties into that specific myth, but I mean, the Mongols took over pretty much all of Asia in a century. Some kind of remnant of that might work... the thing is, that's very similar to Nepal in Raiders.

-sj loves kevin spacey

8. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    The Nepal sequence was very short, it's no reason not to revisit something in Asia. The opening sequence of Raiders was in South America, and that's where most of Indy 4 is set.

9. NZPoe

NZPoe Jedi Master star 4

Nov 21, 2001
    After seeing KOTCS a second time, I'm totally game for seeing a new "Mutt Williams" franchise. I can't stand Shia Le Bouf, but I will give credit where its due - he is great as Indy's son and he's got Harrison Ford's tonal performance JUST RIGHT - especially when Indy gets kidnapped off the back of his bike and Mutt's face is like 'WTF?' I laughed so hard I scared the guy sitting next to me!

Plus I love his name: MUTT WILLIAMS. Just like Indy, he has a dull, nondescript, English surname and the first name borrowed from a dog :) Mutt even says its a name he picked himself!

10. GhostbusterGuy

GhostbusterGuy Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2007
    Some possible titles...
    Indiana Jones and the Search for More Money

Indiana Jones and Another Father-Son Buddy Movie

Indiana Jones and the Longest Movie Title in the History of Film

Indiana Jones and the Quest for Another Historical Artifact

Indiana Jones and the Last MacGuffin George Lucas Likes

Indiana Jones and the Alien Free Movie

Indiana Jones and the Fridge of Doomtown (okay maybe this is better for indy 4)

Indiana Jones and the Lost Screenplay of Darabont

Indiana Jones the Third

The Young Adventures of Mutt Jones

11. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Well as of today, the north american/domestic box-office take on Indy 4 is apporximately $276 million, second to Iron Man's $297 million. But, when you include the international box office results, Indy-4 has a whopping $634 million to Iron Man's $530 million, clearly making it the number 1 movie in the world until well..........The usual comes out in November........Harry Pothead. Nevertheless, this is a good indication that a 5th movie can occur. Harrison Ford on the May issue of Maxim said that he would do a fifth movie in a New York minute, So it looks good.

12. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    Sorry, Spaceballs 2 already pre-emptively claimed this.

:p

13. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004
    As much of a fan as I am of Indy, and I'm absolutely thrilled with the new movie AND it's stellar box office performance, I think Dark Knight will be the # 1 movie of the year. There will be so much media hype about the late Heath Ledger's performance as the Joker that, in my opinion, it's going to drive the box office of that movie into the stratosphere. I wish it wasn't that way, but I think Indy will take a backseat to Batman at the box office this summer. I hope I'm wrong, but I think I'm being realistic.

But I still think Crystal Skull will end up with a very, very respectable box office haul for 2008. At least 750 million world-wide by the end of it's run. And that would make an Indy 5 very likely.

14. Jango10

Sep 22, 2002
    It wouldn't be the first time Batman beat Indy...

15. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    According to Box Office Mojo, Indy IV has made $634 million, thus far. I'd say another sequel is definetly possible.

16. Palpateen

Palpateen Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2000

It wouldn't be the first time Batman beat Indy

In 1989 Batman was the # 1 film domestically, but Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade was # 1 World-wide. So both Indy and Batman had a very good year.

17. Captain_Typho

Captain_Typho Jedi Master star 5

Jul 30, 2003
    Indy 5 should be an updated adaptation of the computer game Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis and it should be a prequel to KOTCS.

18. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I think that for a lot of viewers, it would just make things too complicated. You've already seen Indy and Marion get married, and Indy find out that he has a son... and then you go back to before that revelation? I think it would be hard to pull that off in a way that doesn't put off viewers who aren't likely to be familiar with the back story and the Atlantis storyline the way most fans are.

19. Jango10

Sep 22, 2002
    The Temple of Doom did the exact same thing. At the end of Raiders, you assume that Indy and Marion are going to stay together. Then you get to Temple of Doom, it is set before Raiders, no sign of the orginial cast, and it still works out nicely.

20. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Well I didn't expect Indy to post those kinds of numbers, and yeah, due to Ledger's death, Batman will be up their. But their was really never a question that Batman was not going to make money. This movie will make money. I'm just surprised and in a way excited by Indy-4's take due to me wanting to see a 5th movie in the series, it gives GL 10 movies with big returns, and creats anticipation for Red Tails, and also if the Clone War movie can post some good returns at the box office. GL could for the first time, bank a billion dollars with-in the one year frame. Okay, he'll do it with two movies instead of one (Titanic, Pirates of the Carribean, Lord of the Rings), but hey, its better than not getting it. And anyway, GL despite all the critiscism that he suffered, really deserves this hallamrk, which is very hard to obtain.

21. LordSilvertouch

LordSilvertouch Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2003
    Batman will make $500-$600 mill, but probably not quite so much as Indy.

Am I the only one who wants to see Indiana Jones' days during WW2? The stories he had with Mac in IV made it sound really interesting. Tough to do, but interesting.

22. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I've actually been thinking the same thing myself, since watching Indy 4. It's probably not something they could do with live-action, but it might be done via an animated TV series (á la "Clone Wars") or in comic books or novels. Maybe even in a video game...

23. DarthCougarMellncamp

DarthCougarMellncamp Jedi Youngling

Jun 4, 2008
    I agree I think this is a fantastic idea. Marion could even be involved since she lived in Nepal for some time. I like the idea in the beginning about sunken treasure and Castro, this would be the right time frame when he took over late 50's early 60's.

What I would like Indy V to reveal is Indy's "obsession". In Raiders , the Ark was Ravenwood's obsession, in The Last Crusade, the Holy Grail was his fathers obsession, and in Skull the City of Gold was Ox's obsession.

24. jedibri

jedibri Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2000
    With Harrison Ford already 65, the notion of an Indiana Jones 5 might seem ridiculous. But another sequel is, in fact, extremely likely?

In the 1980s there were originally 5 Indiana Jones movies planned. The 19 year delay since The Last Crusade was due to a disagreement over the direction of the story. That has now been resolved.

Spielberg says he became particularly interested in returning to the series after his son asked when the remaining two would be released. All of which means? we?re still one short.

Spielberg stated at the Cannes press conference that he was indeed open to making another film if the public wanted more. ?That?s why we made this Indiana Jones. We?ll certainly have our ear to the ground to hear what happens. That?ll decide were we go from here.?

Given that Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull will, without doubt, be the biggest financial hit of the year, and the critical response has been good? this criteria has been well met.

For his part Harrison Ford said last week ?Till they tell me otherwise, I will continue to be Indiana Jones.?

But here?s the kicker. Don?t expect Indiana Jones to be the lead in Indiana Jones 5. George Lucas explained to reporters at a recent premiere ?I have an idea to make Shia [LaBeouf] the lead character next time and have Harrison come back like Sean Connery did in the last movie. I can see it working out.?

It doesn?t get much more black and white than that.

http://www.movie-moron.com/?p=453

25. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    That's a good point. Indy must have a particular field of expertise, beyond chasing after lost relics with paranormal powers. I wonder what it could be. We know he spent a good chunk of his life hunting the Cross of Coronado and he seems to know alot about South American history. Perhaps Indy's obsession is with the treasures of the Spanish Conquistadors. [face_thinking]

There's also the fertility idol that was taken from Indy by Belloq. We never DID learn what happened to it. [face_thinking]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.