main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lucas Says Indy 5 a Possibility?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by HanSolo29 , May 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Mace

Darth Mace Jedi Master star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    Unfortunately, there's nothing in the article to make me think Indy V will ever be made. So Lucas says if he can come up with an idea that they all like, they'll do it. It took how long to come up with the idea for KOTCS and it's debatable as to whether they all even liked that. The only way I'd say it's a possibilty is if the report now was that there is already another story idea and they all seem to like it so maybe they can move forward. Harrison is not getting any younger.

2. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    It took how long to come up with the idea for KOTCS and it's debatable as to whether they all even liked that.

Lucas had the idea very soon after LC. The intervening years were a matter of convincing the others to do it, and to develop a script they could all agree on. Lucas says he has another idea now, and I get the sense the development of the script will not take another 19 years.

3. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    I hope it won't take long and they make Indy 5 because I loved Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

4. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    I bet Lucas looked at some alternate McGuffins when Ford and Spielberg weren't sure about the alien idea. He could simply used one of those or go for something well known. Atlantis, Excalibur, etc.

5. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    I really don't buy the whole "Harrison is too old" line. I've been hearing it for the last 5+ years, but there's no reason to believe Harrison can't do this sort of role again.

6. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    Agreed that Ford is not too old now, or for the next few years... but even 10 years will be too long to let the next project develop, because then Ford will be too old. He's 66 now, lest we forget, so Lucas and co. better start cracking on that screenplay!

7. Gobi-1

Dec 22, 2002
    I think they have at least four years, before Ford turns 70. I think the biggest hold up is going to be Spielberg who's going to be working on the Tin Tin Trilogy with Peter Jackson.

8. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    I don't know why it took so long to get Indy IV made. I mean they could make Temple of Doom and Last Crusade each in four years. I guess its because Lucas really wanted his "saucer men" idea to be made but it just couldn'r be written in a very faithful/good manner. Hopefully the next one will be easier now that Lucas has it out of his system. Maybe Spielberg could bring an idea to the table this time.

9. Kol_Skywalker

Kol_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006
    http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/08/07/mutt-williams-and-the-search-for-elvis/

Mutt Williams and the Search for Elvis

???

10. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

There's been so many confusing, contradictory statements in regard to this, I almost think Lucas's intention is that he's using a Jedi mind trick on us. ;)

11. battlewars

battlewars Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    I hope Frank Darabont is involved if there is a fifth one, I think Lucas owes it to him.

12. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Uhhh, I have to say that this whole Lucas wanting to make them different and Steven wanting to make them the same as the past ones... Right, so is it *really* a question of who's right here. Really? I am not a major Lucas basher, but come on

EDIT: To Darabont... sure, he could be involved again. But, um, be aware that he came up with a lot of the things many people didn't like in Skull (ie. the fridge). Personally I didn't mind that. But it would be just like fanboys to demand Darabont back then get mad if something they didn't like ended up in the film, blame it entirely on Lucas, never consider it might have been in Darabont's script...

-sj loves kevin spacey

13. Gobi-1

Dec 22, 2002
    Actually the "Nuke The Fridge" scene was in Jeffery Boam's "Indiana Jones and the Saucermen from Mars" script back in 1995. Darabount didn't come up with the idea.

14. zombie

Aug 4, 1999
    I think any writer scripting under the guiding hand of George Lucas inevitably ends up with dumb stuff like the fridge scene. It was probably his suggestion.

15. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004
    That is so true. George Lucas is the dumbest man who ever lived. That's why he's been such a failure in filmmaking. He has no idea how to entertain people and tell a story. That's why he's broke and obscure and has never made a film that caught fire with the public and inspired the audience's imagination. If only George didn't put dumb stuff in his scripts, he'd BE SOMEBODY!

16. Gobi-1

Dec 22, 2002
    Let's not be so snarky. Ok.

17. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    While I'm sure Lucas was somewhat responsible for the 'new' direction of KotCS, I wouldn't be so sure that he was the man behind the fridge or the monkey man fiasco. Like Gobi said, the fridge scene appeared all the way back in the "Saucermen" script and was kept in each consecutive draft. I'm not sure how much influence Lucas had on any of those scripts, but I was under the impression that the writers had free reign until it came time for Lucas and Spielberg to actually review what it was they had written.

18. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    But it was certainly still around in the Darabont script, which is touted (rightly) as one that Stephen and Harrison loved. So whether it was George's idea to put it in there in the first place we'll never know. What we do know is that the other guys clearly didn't mind it (or some other similarly-toned things that were in that script and the final one as well), or at least not enough to think it broke the film. I just think the attempt to blame everything someone doesn't like on Lucas is ill-guided and misses out on the facts and evidence.

I think it can be pretty well demonstrated that Lucas was the major impetus behind two things:

1) The Father-Son story. Which was not in Darabont's script, so one assumes that was one of the things Lucas wanted changed and put in. And that one, in my opinion, wound up being the best thing about Skull by far.

2) The saucer and alien shown in such a deliberate way. I think Lucas was pushing on that all along, though of course Stephen has his history with aliens as well, I think most quotes suggest Lucas really pushed for that and the tone that went with the alien story. This, to me, is the worst thing in the film (not the overall plot, just the handling of the ending, the obviousness, etc).

So in honesty I think those two things represent the best and worst of the film (aside from Harrison, who is always ultimately the best thing about the films :p). And I think that's pretty representation of Lucas. He tends to be inspired or banal. To me there's not a lot of middle road with him. While his movies wind up in the middle, it's usually "this segment is amazing!" and then "this aspect is terrible" rather than a bunch of middle of the road. I think that's what happened in the PT as well. There are some absolutely great battles, mythic concepts, political and ethical questions asked. But then there's dorky humour, etc. Lucas can be a viewer's best friend and worst enemy all in the course of the same film. Most people are determined to only see him as the enemy, though.

-sj loves kevin spacey

19. zombie

Aug 4, 1999
    I don't know, the father-son thing is quite typically Spielbergian. Almost every film he's ever made is about a broken relationship between a father and son, or more generally a parent and child. As much as Lucas is big on fathers and sons the generally tone of the Indy IV subplot I always assumed was shaped more by the influence of Spielberg, even if Lucas may have come up with the premise itself.

As for the fridge scene, its survival through all the drafts is precisely what leads me to believe it was Lucas keeping it around. After each script, Lucas would harvest whatever elements he liked and include them in the next version, and the fridge scene, very UN-miraculously, kept being included. And, lets face it, its a scene thats very typical of Lucas.

20. Obi-Chron

Obi-Chron Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2003
    The saucer launch is nothing more than an FX vehicle.

It might have worked much better if Jones, Marian and Mutt exited the tunnel seconds before the entire mountain just . . . collapses in on itself [as a gigantic dust could encompasses our heroes].

The saucer was plain hokey. It seriously detracted from the rest of the movie.

21. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    It did seem to have Lucas written all over it, but you have to admit, it proved to be one hell of a scene. That whole sequence is my favorite part of the film. It may have been far-fetched, but it was pure Jones.

22. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004
    The setting for the "fridge scene" is a replica of a Spielberg suburbia if there ever was one, with an interesting twist. Complete with Howdy Doody accompaniment. I think Spielberg wanted it in the film just as much as Lucas. It's a spectacular and iconic visual, and places Indy in the logical historical context. These are two of the most visual filmmakers ever, naturally they wanted that money shot of Indy and the mushroom cloud, which is one of the best single images I've seen ILM create in awhile. I thought it was breathtaking.

If Peter Jackson or Christopher Nolan had done the EXACT same thing, people would be praising them for their "daring sense of outrageous fun." :rolleyes:

It's only because it's another opportunity to attack Lucas that there's a fuss about it.

23. GrandAdmiral_Frank

GrandAdmiral_Frank Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 26, 2003
    Time is of the essence, they need to do it soon.

24. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Yea, I agree. All three of them aren't getting any younger and hopefully it won't take them forever to come up with another storyline. Personally, I feel they already have plenty of opportunities open to them, so it's just an issue of having the drive to actually make another.

25. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    Lucas says he's got another idea, so let's hope they move forward with it in a timely fashion. Maybe after Red Tails, and/or the premiere of the live-action SW series in 2010? At this point I'd rather see another Indy movie than more animated SW films OR those personal indie films Lucas has talked about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.