main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lucas took our critisms of TPM to heart

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by hawk, May 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SomeRandomNerd

SomeRandomNerd Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 1999
    "I don't want to hear anything from you. I think you can decide for yourself."

Shutting up, Sir.
    8-}

2. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    I liked it, it was a wonderful addition to the SW saga.

3. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    That's true for all the films. If I ever saw a bad addition to the Star Wars saga, I'd be sure to let others know :)

4. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2002
    ...must...not...make...snide...remark...must...control...self...

5. Lukecash

Lukecash Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    You were gonna say somehting about ROTJ weren't ya Coop? :D

6. Sith Interceptor

Sith Interceptor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 1999
    it is shockingly apparent that many posters in this forum have yet to read the early drafts of "The Star Wars".

Shame. Shame. Shame.

7. Ardens_Furore

Ardens_Furore Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 2001
    Actually, everything I said about TPM and how the thematic elements in AOTC would relate to it have been correct. Of course, no one has read any of my points, nor do I want to discuss them so bashers can tear it apart. In any case, TPM and AOTC link up nearly flawlessly in terms of theme and that is something I truly appreciate coming from Lucas.

8. JubJub the Jedi

JubJub the Jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 1999
    Wow! It's been quite some time since I've posted on the JC Formus and I'm quite surprised to see that Hawk and Go-Mer-Tonic are still at it in regard to the quality of TPM. Fight on, troopers!

9. Makavelli

Makavelli Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 16, 2002
    Hawk,
    I agree, gushers like myself were very wrong. And they should admit that. Lucas most definitely took the criticisms to heart, maybe not to the degree bashers would like to think b/c the natural story fixed what bashers perceived as problems. But the biggest sign that he listened to criticisms was the role of JJ. It would've NEVER been that small if he hadn't been hated to so much in TPM.

10. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Of course it would have. What more do you think Jar-Jar would have done if it weren't for the meddling Jar-Jar heters and their high pitched, constant whining?

11. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    Maybe Lucas originally intended Jar Jar to accompany Obi-Wan in his single-person starfighter, but somehow I doubt it. :)

12. Ultimate

Ultimate Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 14, 2000
    No he intended for Jar Jar to enter into a love triangle and compete for Padme's love on Naboo.

13. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I think Jar Jar was supposed to ride with OB1 in the Jedi Fighter by sitting in the droid socket wearing a space helmet to protect him from radiation.

During the asteroid chase:

"Mesa dien' out here!"

;)

14. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    UGH. I hate when the bashers take credit for AOTC being darker and more adult. I don't care what Jackson said, that was the plan from the beginning. Lucas always said that TPM was the kiddier movie and the next two would be dark. The bashers need to get oever themselves. Lucas couldn't care less about what the fans think and he shouldn't.

15. baggles

baggles Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    This thread is funny. The entire premise of this thread is a quote from Sam from Entertainment Weekly, which featured George's response in the very next paragraph. "That is ridiculous", replied George. How convenient to leave out his response. :)

16. Gwas

Gwas Jedi Master star 2

Dec 13, 2000
    Right, it was tough but I've managed to brave my way through this hell-hole of a thread.

Midichlorians - Why weren't they mentioned in AotC???

My take:-

They were in TPM for one reason only. They constituted a QUANTIFIABLE method of announcing, without a shadow of a doubt, that Anakin Skywalker has the highest potential for force-strength thus far. Using Midis removes any doubt that this is the case.

The real gem in TPM is that all of the discussion relating to this potential was conducted with Anakin present. What better way to mess with a child's mind if not to tell him he's the "chosen one", or even if you don't believe the prophesy, the most powerful being alive today.

The payback for Midis in AotC? (not verbatim!!)

"Someday, I'm going to be the most powerful jedi ever!"

"I'm ahead of him in many ways"

.......and his generally arrogant attitude in general.

As for Qui-Gon?

At the very least he, along with Obi-Wan showed how the whole Master/Apprentice relationship is supoposed to work. Master taking the lead during negotiations with the "in-training" apprentice joining the conversation where appropriate. This relationship was demonstrated successfully in the Otoh Gunga (sp?) scene amoungst others in TPM and was very evidently failing badly in AotC.

All my opinion obviously.

Anyway, I feel a little at odds with the general tone of this thread so, ever the conformist.....

......My dad is tougher than yours!!

17. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    "This thread is funny. The entire premise of this thread is a quote from Sam from Entertainment Weekly, which featured George's response in the very next paragraph. "That is ridiculous", replied George. How convenient to leave out his response."

I didn't get the quote from "Entertainment Weekly". I don't even know what that is - a magazine, show? I got it in "Who Weekly" down in Australia baggles and there was no such quote.

Why don't you actually READ my intial post before accusing me of not being thorough baggles. How convenient...

It is good to see at least one gusher seeing the truth. But we all knew GMT and Shelley would viciously defend Lucas to the grave. I wonder if they think he is capable of anything not to their liking??

18. Makavelli

Mar 16, 2002
    Hasn't Lucas already admitted to what Hawk is saying, basically? I mean, yeah, he still sticks to the story like he says, but that still leaves a lot of leeway.

For instance, look at how much of Jar Jar's opening bullcrap was cut, the "Ani....NOOOOO" stuff. That is more awkward than anything in TPM, and Lucas realized that. He didn't try and say "I'm putting in JJ cuz they don't want him!!" Lucas knows and wants his audiences to like Star Wars. That may not be his absolute first priority but its up there.

Here's a good example to prove my point. And the acting/directing is another sign of how he was trying to take criticism to heart. Think of the number of tears/teary eyed(hey, we'll call it crying in the SW universe) in AOTC:

- Dorme weeping (that took me by surprise!)
    - Anakin when his mom dies.
    - Anakin when he confesses of kiling Tuskens.
    - Padme when confessing love for Anakin.

Now, go to the TPM SCREENPLAY and look how many times there is crying. Anakin is suppossed to cry multiple times. There is even a scene where the handmaiden weeps! But its not in the movie, only Obi-Wan cries during the film. Because GL didn't execute his direction as well in TPM and b/c the actors weren't as professional (or given as much freedom, ie Natalie and Ewan). And I'm not trying to take anything from TPM, everyone knows I luv it to death.

If the gushers don't admit when they are wrong, then they are only polarizing things, and fueling venom for bashers to enjoy hating the PT. And they are losing credibility, so its time for all SW fans to start being more objective.

19. Darth Jamus

Darth Jamus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 1, 2000
    I just read the first page and a half of this thread and decided that I didn't want to go on because everyone here has smart**s attitudes and chips on their shoulders. I am going back to the AOTC page where decent people discuss these movies with some maturity! I am sorry I decided to check this page out again after so long. I thought AOTC would reunite fandom, but as long as this trivial stupidity continues, there is no hope for any of you!

20. Makavelli

Mar 16, 2002
    Well the gushers certainly aren't helping to reunite the fandom by denying certain truths, that by no means take away from TPM as a film.

21. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    As a mild TPM basher who loved AOTC, I'll just say:

GL hasn't lost it yet!!!!

:D

22. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Well what about denying the flat out lies?

Lucas has said on several occasions that he can't cater this "to what the fans want".

He doesn't care about the "fans" who didn't like Jar-Jar, and he knew other "fans" wouldn't be able to handle the way Anakin was 9 years old in the first film. The story is what the story is.

Episode II was always going to be darker and more mature, and I won't stand idly by as the complainers who have been insulting TPM for the last 3 years brazenly take credit for something that they had no imput on.

23. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    Hmmmm..though I'm in the basher camp, I do see Go-Mer's point. How about this scenario: GL changed stuff not for fans, but for the critics? After all, he does want to market these films right?

Just MHO :D

24. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    About Jar Jar: Read my thread "The case of Jar Jar; The C-3PO theory".

25. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    What about that bit in AOTC when JJ is about to start up and Padme cuts him off? Go-mer was prepared to read into the deep meanings of the underwater chase in TPM, but I suppose that part with Padme and JJ had nothing to do George telling the audience he "got" the message.

Nobody's saying Geroge changed the direction of the saga. We are saying he made some major tweaks with AOTC in regards to the backlash.

Bad dialogue critisisms? He responded by getting Hales.

Hatred of Jar Jar? Reduced JJ role.

Not enough Obi-Wan? Plenty of Obi-Wan.

Maybe these things would have happened. I don't say they wouldn't. But I feel that there is a bigger emphasis on these things due to the detractors. If JJ was as loved as 3P0, do you really think all his stuff would have been cut? If George's writing was praised, would he have gotten extra help? If people couldn't stand Ewan McGregor, wouldn't Anakin have more screen time? Heck, if Boba Fett was not as cherished, we wouldn't be seeing his origins either.

And not to take anything away from George, but do you really think he is going to say "I changed the movies because people didn't like certain things I did. I took the critics views to heart". NO director in his right mind would ever admit to catering to fans at the expense of his own vision. In order to uphold respect for the man, we need him to say that he doesn't listen to the fans and makes the movies he wants to make. Only some fans are gullible enough to beleive him entirely. What is in for Lucas if he tells the truth? Squat! That's why comments from Jackson speak volumes. They are unbiased opinions from a man who worked with Lucas abd actually admires him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.