main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Lucas was definitely planning this as far back as ROTS's release.

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by IG_2000, Jun 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    I felt like clearing this up since it seemed like a point of debate among some users. However...

This is NOT one of those "my uncle knows a guy" kind of BS things, but my dad once worked somewhere in NYC that had a lot of connections with Fox. He got to know people in the company. He was even invited to a press screening of Revenge of the Sith and he got a lot of freebies out of that which were passed onto me, including the Making of ROTS book.

Point is, soon after that, I guess Fox was eager to get plans into motion about the sequel trilogy, and I remember him coming home one day and saying "its gonna happen". It was probably just preliminary distribution discussions before the whole Disney blowout and Lucas obviously didn't solidify anything with Fox, but he was definitely preparing for it nine years ago.

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013

I think Lucas, being of a business mind, probably knew years ago that there was an "end game" for selling his company involving future Star Wars films. But, I don't think he had any direct plans of actually making any of them.

3. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    Lucas has been quoted as far back as 1978 that the Saga was a twelve-part series. Then it wasn't. Then, after ROTJ, he said that the story was done at EP VI. He decided to sell Lucasfillm last year, and evidently one of the conditions of the sale was that the ST be made according to his outlines. In other words, there's no definitive answer...nor does it really matter.
    However it came to be, we're getting the ST when no one had any reason to think we ever would.

whostheBossk likes this.
  4. D'an

D'an Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2014
    I bet even Lucas had doubts at one time, but was always prepared for a "what if" scenario. Plagueis fans like to pin their hopes on the opera scene.

5. Momotaros

Momotaros Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2013
    From clips of interviews of Hamill from back then. Yes,it clear he had this planed out for a while.

ForgottennJedi1986 likes this.
  6. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    "I've left pretty explicit instructions for there not to be any more features. There will definitely be no Episodes VII-IX. That's because there isn't any story. I mean, I never thought of anything. And now there have been novels about the events after Episode VI, which isn't at all what I would have done with it. The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story. Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned and Luke doesn't get married..."
    Lucas, 2008.

"But there's no story past Episode VI, there's just no story. It's a story about Anakin Skywalker and once Anakin Skywalker dies, that's kind of the end of the story."
    Lucas, 2008.

Pfluegermeister likes this.
  7. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    He was clearly thinking it was possible or there would have been no reason to sign Peter Mayhew to three more films.

ForgottennJedi1986, T-R- and klooney like this.
  8. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    This is not one of those "I know somebody who knows a guy" thread, but I know somebody who knows a guy...

*there are other existing threads where this discussion can take place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.