main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LucasArts embracing modding community...

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by jp-30, Dec 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    which is very nice to see...

lucasarts.com/press/releases/62.html

NEW WEB SITE FOR POSTING OF LUCASARTS INSPIRED GAME MODS LAUNCHED BY LFNETWORK.COM FAN SITE

Officially Sanctioned Site, [link=http://www.lucasfiles.com/]www.lucasfiles.com[/link], Offers Fans Location to Create and Post Modifications of LucasArts Titles

SAN RAFAEL, Calif. -- December 11, 2002 -- Fans who create game modifications (mods) based upon characters and elements in titles by LucasArts Entertainment Company LLC can now post their works on the Internet at LucasFiles, which can be found at www.lucasfiles.com. The new site, created by Lucas Fan Network (LFN), www.lfnetwork.com, an independent collection of web sites dedicated to LucasArts and its games, is an exclusive and sanctioned online location offering a variety of mods inspired by LucasArts titles. The LucasFiles database also hosts unique fan produced content, levels, and an array of other media.

"LucasArts is grateful to the Lucas Fan Network, whose enthusiastic and very dedicated members have created a distinctive online destination for fans of our games to showcase and share their creations with others," says Simon Jeffery, president of LucasArts. "The fan community is incredibly important to LucasArts and this site will provide them with a variety of ways to continue to celebrate their passion for the company and its games." [hr][/blockquote]

I'm unsure as to why this particular site gets a press release on lucasarts.com, and the dedicated JO / GBG modding sites never have, but it's a step in the right direction - acknowledging the modding community.

They also have [link=http://www.lucasfiles.com/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=17]SW fangames (not mods)[/link] which is cool.

Maybe that [link=http://amberfisharts.com/]Indiana Jones Fate of Atlantis 2[/link] fangame need not worry about being shut down, as they have done for years?

2. SirLancelot

SirLancelot Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2002
    Edit: nevermind, looks cool. i guess they really do care

3. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    Most of those dedicated XWA/GBG mod sites (the ones that I'm aware of, anyway) are run by the Lucas Fan Network, which owns LucasFiles. They've been building a good relationship with LEC after they canclled Obi-Wan and realized they need some fan support and some PR.

But whatever. This is great news!

And you guys put the same story up on TFN twice.

4. Janz_Walker

Janz_Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2000
    I was going to point that out... hehe. Look for Episode I Shipset for XWA up on Lucasfiles soon!

Chris

5. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    That's very very cool.

Now I just need to get JKII. [face_blush]

?Eaglet

6. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    This is definitely good news. :)

7. Badnews

Badnews Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 2, 2002
    Do I need to buy anything other than JK2:JO?

8. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Food's good.

You mean to edit the game? No, all the tools etc are free.

9. Badnews

Badnews Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 2, 2002
    thank you

10. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    Yea, food is definitely one thing we'll have to remember to buy next year when flatting.

:p

Good news on the thread topic though. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.