main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LucasArts, Or: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love Being a Fanboy

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by jp-30, Sep 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Well, I can't deny it any longer. It's all there. The unconditional support, the passionate following of the alumni/spinoff companies, the news updating for mixnmojo, the highest postcount on the Telltale Forums, even that taunting BONE icon I'm currently sporting on other forums, my signature here.

I have scoffed here at 10005 openly at the ongoing console wars between that most horrid group of gamers the fanboys. The Nintendo crowd seeming to be the most hopelessly fanatical of the three main camps. I never understood their passionate devotion to a piece of hardware, or a particular corporation.

Until now. Like some creeping horror, I realise I too am one of them, though not regarding a lump of hardware thankfully.

It all started in my teenage years. I'm sure it's a familiar story. Playing a pirated (no pun intended) copy of The Secret of Monkey island on a friends Amiga. Then getting my own 386 PC and (purchasing) a copy of Monkey Island 2 on the same day. It progressed (and no more pirated versions either). More Monkey Islands. Day of the Tentacle. Indiana Jones & The Fate of Atlantis. Sam & Max Hit The Road. Full Throttle. The Dig. Grim Fandango.

With that Gold Guy logo on the side of the box I knew that I was getting a solid piece of software that I could lose myself in for days, weeks or months sometimes. Hell, I also bought, played and loved X-Wing, TIE-Fighter, Dark-Forces, Rebel Assault, Jedi Knight. At that time I didn't need to read reviews. I knew that company always put out quality software.

I have owned and played almost all the PC games LucasArts have ever put out, though I thankfully haven't been bitten by that "collector" bug (I don't need to play the FM TOWNS version of The Last Crusade to see if the table in the castle has been shifted 2 pixels to the left). And of course I was delighted, then angered, then disillusioned with the company during the highs and lows of the life-cycle of Sam & Max Freelance Police. But borne from that disillusionment I have avidly followed Tim Shafer's Double Fine, Ron Gilbert's blog, Bill Tiller's Autumn Moon Entertainment, and most closely the team at Telltale Games.

On other forums during the recent debates on whether "Out of Boneville" is worth $20 I have seen accusataions levelled at "fanboys" of the ridiculousness of the pursuit, of overlooking all the flaws in the desperation to embrace wholeheartedly whatever is being offered.

But you know what? There is actually no harm in being a cheerleader for a company. We see it all the time in the music industry. Fans of a particular band (normally first discovered during one's formative teenage years) will often follow that band's every move for, well forever. Buying each new album, regardless of its quality or innovativeness (or even length ), They will go to concerts and spend as much on T-Shirts & merchandise as the ticket. They will even follow the guitarist's solo projects and continue to buy the lead singer's CDs after he splits the band. And they'll still buy the band's music with that crap new singer. They'll spend hours upon hours conversing with other like-minded individuals via internet channels. And that's seen as perfectly normal behaviour.

Their fans are genuinely interested in what the members of the band are up to. I guess it helps them relive their youth - the things they clung to in their formative teenage years. And for me, it's no different, but with LucasArts, Double Fine, Autumn Moon, Telltale Games. It's as much about the personalities behind those games as it is about the games themselves.

So, for me at least, playing a new point-and-click adventure from Telltale Games is an emotional experience, intrinsically linked with my teenage years. I can't experience Out From Boneville objectively, and nor do I want to, for the legacy is as much a part of the appeal as the game itself.

So, go ahead. Call me a "fanboy". You could do worse... :-B

2. Jedi_Nath

Jedi_Nath Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 30, 2005
  3. Fist_of_Mandalore

Fist_of_Mandalore Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 31, 2005
    The LucasArts Fanboys. Your all knobs. :p ;) *j/k j/k j/k...DONT BANE ME PLZ!!!1111!!!1*

EDIT: Wait...I'm a LucasArts fanboy too. :(

4. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    I too know the plight of the fanboy, for going to a concert for an old favorite band of mine just yesterday, whose new songs I'm beginning to find grating, all the new fans I'm thinking are hypocrites for buying into the 'new sound', not knowing how good it was in the old days; and there I was just standing at the back thinking about how awesome all the old songs they used to play were, and generally buying as much merch as possible out of fanboyish support, because no matter what they were playing, I felt I was still supporting the same old boys who played the songs I used to know and love, and hope that soon, they might play something that'll be more awesome than anything they've ever done.

Anyway, if it was'nt for people like you, who showed LucasArts how much the oldskool meant for us, especially in the likes of the whole Sam and Max crisis; and showing Telltale the support to get off the ground, we probably would'nt be seeing them go out of their way to share the love of the new Sam and Max now.
    JP, you know we all love you (in the platonic sense, going doubly for SFL); you are more awesome than anyone here can ever hope to achieve, myself included, and we are very lucky to see you still post with us.

5. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I know exactly how you feel JP. The first game I ever owned was Indiana Joes and the Last Crusade: The Graphic Adventure. That was the game that got me into gaming in the first place. I played and own each and every single LucasArts game that you mentioned. And I loved them all with the possible exception of Rebel Assault. That could just be hindsight though. At the time, I was just as excited about the adventures of Rookie One as I was about Guybrush Threepwood, Indiana Jones, Boston Low, or Manny Calavara.

Although, with the downfall of the adventure game (I refuse to call the genre "dead" as so many other people are quick to do), I've felt that LucasArts has lost its edge. They still put out some high quality games like KOTOR or Gladius (OMG I love Gladius), but I feel that the overall quality has taken a hit. But you no what? I don't care. I will always be interested in what they put out and will never fully judge a game of theirs until I play it.

6. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    C'mon Rich, fess up. What band?

7. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Yes well, I had to truncate my classic sig to put in the full BONE promotion. And at least I can spell 'you're' correctly.

:p

8. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    jp-30 posted on 9/17/05 6:00pm
    C'mon Rich, fess up. What band? [hr][/blockquote]
    ...Reel Big Fish [face_cry]

9. ROTS_Obi1

ROTS_Obi1 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 16, 2005
    Good story.

Move along, move along..

10. CommanderSesfan

CommanderSesfan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    Amen, JP...well put as always. I may complain and whine about certain things Lucasarts (and the entire Lucas franchise for that matter) does....but at the end of the day, I know I'll defend them to the farthest corner of the galaxy with the last breath I have. And yes, I'll even buy their stupid, half-finished products sometimes.

11. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    I have to admit to being more enthusiastic about all the spinoff companies thesedays.

I'll still buy most LucasArts PC games that are released, but not always at full price. I'll tend to wait until the first big price drop before giving up my cash. Back in the day I'd be there on the day of release or have pre-ordered. I'm still waiting for SWON and KOTOR2 to drop before picking them up.

12. Psycho_Sith

Psycho_Sith Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2003
    I'll back that. I'm an LA junkie.

13. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    I was in denial (feels like fanboy support group) for a long time then out of nowhere it hit me i was a fangirl i can now say it with relative ease that i support Lucas Arts though i may not agree with everything i still remain loyal.:)

14. Lord-Draco

Lord-Draco Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    Well everyone knows that I'm the furthest thing from being a LA fanboy....

15. Psycho_Sith

Aug 3, 2003
    I've been waiting for you to show up in this topic and blast it bro.
    I love your LA rants - let 'em fly.

16. Lord-Draco

Nov 26, 2002
    What can I say? I have to bring balance to the situation. ;)

17. Psycho_Sith

Aug 3, 2003
    So true indeed.

18. Raja_Io

Raja_Io Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2005
    You're being cruel... And I can only regret that I'm so young and couldn't call myself a real fanboy :_|

I'm not being ironic at all. Think I'm going to look for some more LucasArts games. Maybe, in a couple of years...
    Gosh I'm so jealous! ;)

19. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    I'm not a LA fanboy. I'm a SW addict. I've been trying to break this habit, but games like Republic Commando and KotOR II just scream "Play me. I am canon and part of the story." :mad:

20. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    This thread is about being a fanboy. Most of us admit that LA has some weaknesses, but that we don't care.

There's already been a big thread about bashing LA, there doesn't need to be any here.

21. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I used to be a Lucasarts fanboy before being a Star Wars fan; I even bought their educational titles (go Mortimer!). I was that sad. Now I don't play anything but Arkanoid II and my life is much better. :)

22. Drakhaon

Drakhaon Jedi Youngling

Jan 1, 2005
    Pretty sure he was being sarcastic...

But then again, thanks for being the Forum Police and letting us all know that stating your opinion is "Not Cool".

I'll have to write that down in my book of "things to remember"

Thanks buddy, where would I be without you...

And now for something completely different...

I'd say i'm a Fanboy...but there are far too many products which i've become overly obsessive about...The Epic that Star Wars is for one...I spent probably over 10 hours on an online encyclopedia just reading about the history, the characters...yeah it's bad.

But so utterly beautiful at the same time.

I'd have to say, before Interplay Cast itself into oblivion I was avidly playing anything that they put out...although it's been a few years since i installed Fallout...

23. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I was the same way with Interplay, actually...at one point last year I had Fallout 1 and 2, BG I, II and TOB and Icewind Dale I and II all installed.

Regarding Lord-Draco, I doubt any LucasArts rant from him would be sarcastic at all. And while having that opinion is certainly valid, what is the point of it in this thread?

Perhaps I'm just jaded from all the Mara Jade interjections in the lit forum.

24. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    It all started in my teenage years. I'm sure it's a familiar story. Playing a pirated (no pun intended) copy of The Secret of Monkey island on a friends Amiga. Then getting my own 386 PC and (purchasing) a copy of Monkey Island 2 on the same day. It progressed (and no more pirated versions either). More Monkey Islands. Day of the Tentacle. Indiana Jones & The Fate of Atlantis. Sam & Max Hit The Road. Full Throttle. The Dig. Grim Fandango.

You forgot to mention Outlaws! :eek: And you call yourself a fanboy. [face_shame_on_you]

:p

25. Lord-Draco

Nov 26, 2002
    Calm down son lol. I was just saying that I'm not a fanboy of LA however I'm sometimes labeled as Anti-LA because I always....tell it like it is regardless of what the feedback may be. This was clearly stated with my LucasArts ==> Weakest Publisher Ever!!!! thread. Remember that one? ;)

And no, it wasn't bashing (atleast not on my part). There is a difference between pointing things out that goes unnoticed and bashing. If I tell you that you have a stain on your white shirt, I'm not bashing you. I'm just telling you that you have a stain on your shirt. Others around us may bash you or make fun of you, but I was just telling you about the stain.

I guess thats how the "LA Bash thread" went. I just pointed out something that nobody here ever talked about before, and it was the others that turned it into a Pro LA vs Anti LA thread.

But back on topic. I can't really say I'm a fanboy of ANY company. I maybe a fanboy of certain games like the EA NCAA Football games and any RPG game. But I'm not really a fanboy of a company like EA because they make the NCAA Football games or SquareEnix because they make a lot of RPG games. I just don't have that much support for developers/publishers like that. Everytime I start to love a company....they come back and do something to piss me off.

Other then that, continue on with the Pro LA Parade!

I'll just stand on the sidewalks and watch. :)

Balance has been brought

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.