main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:WA Lucasarts

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by soneil, Dec 4, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soneil

soneil Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    So Obiwan for PC is being cancelled. Surprise surprise. It was looking more like a console game with every preview anyway.
    What's it going to take to get lucasarts to bring out another decent PC game? They used to be right up there with the best PC game production teams. You just couldn't beat games like Jedi Knight or X-wing vs Tie Fighter. What hapenned?! Apart from Force Commander (which I haven't got but which didn't get good reviews) they haven't brought out any decent games since. All the others since then (Phantom Menace, Pod Racer, Rogue Squadron) have been nothing more than lame, linear console games ported to PC. And then you get ones like Jedi Power Battles, Obiwan and that fighter one that will be console only.
    What's the deal? Console games stink! PC games have so much more scope, more variety and more gameplay than those kids toys. Let's have some decent Starwars PC games rather than the kids stuff.
    It makes me cringe to think that Elite Force (a startrek game) is so much better than any recent starwars game. Oh the shame of it. Why not do a Dark Forces 3. It could blow games like Elite Force and Deus Ex out of the water but Lucasarts seem to have an obsession with consoles. I'd love to seem some *real* starwars games.

2. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    I suppose I am being a little harsh. They have brought out some good PC games recently. My kids love Yoda's Math Challenge. :p

3. Ghost-of-Spider

Ghost-of-Spider Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 30, 2000
    That would be great for the kids LOL.
    PC games are the best, Lucasarts could do Dark Forces 3 and make it into a soldier of fortune type game without the obvious violence.
    I like Pod Racer, but the graphics are below par that I would expect from LA.

4. SoulKrusher

SoulKrusher Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 25, 2000
    Totally agree. The last decent game I play from them was JediKnight. I'd love to see that go further. I still prefer the originals (4,5 & 6) at the moment, but if the next two episode get better I could change my mind.

5. Pinback

Pinback Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 30, 2000
    Guess it's because all the kids are pestering their parents for the PS2 and N64, Game Boys and other assorted junk... I'm on the lookout for "Evil Dead: Hail to the King," featuring Bruce Campbell reprising the role (in voice only) of Ash! it's available for PC; if anyone spots it out there, can you give me a shout?

6. SoulKrusher

Nov 25, 2000
    I had a look at the Playstation 2 the other day and the graphics are suppose to be brillant! Their *****!! I mean, they may be good for a console, but its still on a crappy tv. Nothing personal about them or anything, but a PC with all the digital devices kick any day.

Don't even get me started about the crappy dvd player that comes with it, its shot!

7. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    I definitely agree. I remmeber when the N64 was pretty new and state of the art. I was in one place and they had one with a big impressive looking tv screen playing a game that I had on my PC. I was amazed at how pathetic it looked compared to what I was used to on my PC at home. And that was their most impressive setup. What I've seen of the PS2 hasn't impressed me any more.
    Console games lack variety and originality. They're all arcade style rubbish that doesn't appeal to me. Unfortunately, lucasarts seem to think arcade is the only worthwhile format.

8. Ghost-of-Spider

Nov 30, 2000
    Just had my PC upgraded and being the non-computer person I am, asked the professional for his take on PS2.
    Without a second to think about it-the answer was "Rubbish" from what I have seen it is better than the normal playstation, N64 etc but I'd put my PC against it anyday and win.

9. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    Sounds like an unusually well informed opinion from a supplier. Nice to see. ;)

10. Dags

Dags Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 3, 2000
    I think you are all missing the point by a long shot.

From a standing start, to play ANY PC game, one must first have a PC. These days the best of the best (3d graphic accelerators, sound cards, 128Mb RAM and all that) can cost in excess of $2,500+. Without the PC itself the games are just CDs in a box.

To run a PS2 game setup, all you need is the unit and a TV. A playable sized TV can cost around $500-$600 (mine cost that much), plus a couple of hundred for the PS2 unit.

Between $2,500+ and $700, what do you expect is going to be the better option?

A PC is NATURALLY going to be the supremo choice when it comes to game playing because it cost 3-5 times more than the cheaper option.

I do not have a PC at home, and I recently had a Playstation on loan. For the sake of saving thousands of dollars, I'll go for the playstation any day.

It's all a matter of perspective.

11. Ghost-of-Spider

Nov 30, 2000
    I can see what your saying but the advantage of the PC--you can upgrade it, keep up with the latest-graphic card $500, memory approx $200. Yes you have to have a PC first but you can do so much more with them.

PS2 is nice right now but you can't upgrade it and it wont help do school/work reports etc.

PS. Where can you get a PS2 for a couple of hundred?? they are advertised closer to the $500 mark.

12. Grizzly

Grizzly Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2000
    a ps2 for $500???? where i'll get one if they're THAT cheap... lowest price i've seen is $744!!!!!!

13. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    My biggest problem with consoles is not so much the graphics. It's more the lack of variety. The games are all arcade. No decent flight sims. No decent strategy games. No decent adventure games. I just don't like the games you get for them. The whole arcade style bores me. It's the same games I played in time zone 15 years ago with prettier graphics. I know that's not quite true but my main point is that consoles to me seem to cater more to kids who don't mind and endless stream of similar arcade style games.
    The flying games, shoot-em-up games etc that you do get are all very much arcade, which I find boring. Compare the likes of Goldeneye with games like halflife, alien vs predator, jedi knight and star trek elite force. I'd pick the PC games any day. That's just one genre. Most of the games that are really good (Tomb Raider 1-4 for example) end up coming out on PC anyway.

14. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    And I hate those gamepads. Give me a joystick or a mouse/keyboard combo any day.

Enough whinging for today!

15. Dags

Dags Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 3, 2000
    Oh yeah, one other thing while I'm on my soap box. You can't beat the PS and N64 for ease of setup.

Let me share this tale with you.....

A couple of years ago, a mate of mine came to my place with his brand new N64. Once he arrived he went to work setting it up to the TV. I naturally thought it would take around 20-30 mins to finish, but he had it going in less than 40 seconds. Just plugged it in and turned it on.

"What! Where's the graphics card configuration section? Or sound card conflicts? Where's was the lack of drive space warning messages that I had experienced SOOOOOO many times when loading PC games??? Surely this wasn't going to work properly THE FIRST TIME!" Nup there was none of that with N64 (or PS for that matter). I was literally gobsmacked.

"My god, why can't PC game setups be THIS easy!!!"

I was pretty much sold after that.

It's probably worth noting that I was once a big PC game player (made it to the Emperor's inner core in TIE Fighter, played Dark Forces, Dune II, Command and Conquer, and Red Alert all to their conclusions). I've also attended a number of LAN game nights which have also experienced their issues too.

After having experienced a bit of PS, I personally think it's great for the cost (pop it on a big TV running through the Hi-fi, and you get a fair bit of extra bang for your buck).

PC games ARE superior in their quality, graphics, sound and story/playability, but the PS and N64 consoles aren't all that bad either. For sheer ease of setup (and therefore lack of stress and frustration), they win my meager vote.

At least they beat the old TV tennis games.

I'm finished with my soap box now.

16. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    I still think the Commodore 64 was the ultimate games machine for its time. Doesn't look too good these days but it was miles ahead of anything else in its time.

<goes away to play a bit of Impossible Mission on his C64 emulator for PC)

17. Ghost-of-Spider

Nov 30, 2000
    Ah yes the old C64 vs Amiga 500, I loved both which is why many years later I'm still hooked.

Dags--I have shared the fustration of a PC that just will not work, compounded with a game you simply must play-- my simple solution to this problem was easy---I bought a playstation LOL.

Don't get me wrong Playstation etc-they are great for basic games and give hours of pleasure for very little cost and if I was a mum I would rather give my kid one of those than waste money at timezone. Still wish the damm things had joysticks though....

18. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    Pcs are a pain and they cost more but their worth it. The games are so much better and they're fine for kids too. I have a 3 1/2 year old who's quite proficient at using a mouse and keyboard. He has several CDs (Wiggles, Yoda's challenge etc) that he can start himself, use himself and close himself. I'm in the process of setting up a PC for him and his sister for their exclusive use. For them I'd say a mouse is a lot easier to use than a gamepad.

19. SoulKrusher

Nov 25, 2000
    I agree, take a keyboard and mouse anyday! I don't think somehow that we will be using gamepads in the future. So when it comes to kids learning, its the best option! You are getting them ready for the future, by the time they start using computers in school etc. they will experts and will be further then any other kid! Trust me, I know this works because when I was in year 6 I had to help the teacher out with a hardware failure that he had.

Another thing, $2500+ for a PC. Where are you buying from and what are you buying. For $2500 I can buy a pc setup which will run quite comfortably all my 3d modelling and animation packages (3D Max, Maya to name a few) For about $1200, you can buy yourself a machine with all the bits and pieces to run all the latest games including HalfLife and Quake 3 running a res of 1024x768. That comes with soundblaster live for the best in sound.

Now I'm sure consoles are great and all, and they may seem cheap (PS2-$750, PC-$1200). Consoles were built to do one thing, play games. I would rather buy a cheap N64 or PS1 if I want to play aracde games. The fact that you have to spend $750 plus the cost of games (lets keep this legal) and memory expansions, just to play games (o, you get a crappy DVD player) is F*@KED!

They do have the added bonus of easy setup (for no brainers). However enough from me, I could go on and on, but I won't. I'm willing to spend the extra cash and get myself another machine for network rendering! DONE!

20. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    I guess getting back to my main gripe, I'm annoyed that Lucasarts seems to be leaving PC gamers out in the cold. They were always one of the best PC games producers but now they're pretty lame compared to the competition. I know from their earlier work that they're capable of producing awesome games but they seem to be throwing all of their eggs in the console basket.

21. Ghost-of-Spider

Nov 30, 2000
    Perhaps the reason is because-N64, PS etc are designed for kids--that's what they want. And Lucas is geared for kids.
    I still think it's a shame because they made some great PC games but let's be honest you go where the market is.

22. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    It certainly lends weight to the theory that Lucas is abandoning previously loyal adult fans to get new young fans. I generally disagree with that theory but when it comes to video games it seems to be the case.

23. SoulKrusher

Nov 25, 2000
    I think N64 games are geared for kids, but Playstation games (not that I own any) are geared for more of the older kids (teenages).

I'd really love to see another star wars game like jediknight though. However there is a small group making one with the halflife engine. Fresh new models and all, its looking good as well.

While we are on the topic of Star Wars Games, what does every feel about the new Star Wars Online game coming out. I think it should rock, so longs they give you the option to own your ship and travel from star system to star system, planet to planet etc. That would be cool.

24. Ghost-of-Spider

Nov 30, 2000
    Don't know anything about it-SK do you have any more details etc :)

25. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    I don't know a lot about it but it gets mentioned from time to time on the official starwars site. Apparently the game engine will be based largely on the technology behind EverQuest - a very popular online fantasy role playing game (which I also don't know much about).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.