main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lucasfilm bans Dave Prowse from Celebration V and any LFL activities?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by dvaderxxx, Jun 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dvaderxxx

dvaderxxx Jedi Youngling

Jun 23, 2010
    I was shocked by reading on Dave's official web site that Lucasfilm don't want him at Celebration V? Apparently they informed the organizers not to invite him. Does anyone know what is going on? Vader is my favorite character and the main reason I go to Celebration.

2. Beretta911

Beretta911 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 21, 2005
    Just like his website said, he's apparently burned too many bridges between him and Lucasfilm. But it pretty much goes without saying that is kind of vague and we can only guess. Money is usually at the root of these sort of issues, closely followed by egos.

All I know for sure is that even as recent as last year Prowse gave at least one interview where he said that he hasn't received any residuals for ROTJ. I'm sure that could be a factor. I just don't see how inviting Mr. Prowse would harm Lucasfilm, meaning I don't see how they stand to gain anything from not having him present.

I'd like to know more about the situation before coming to a conclusion, thats probably not going to happen so my gut feeling is to call BS on Lucasfilm. It's a bad call on their part. :mad:

3. darkladyhannasolo

darkladyhannasolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 25, 2002
    That's too bad about Dave Prowse being banned. On a personal note, I'm glad that I already got his autograph at CII.

If I remember correctly I heard a story once that said that Dave leaked out the I'm your Father scene before ESB was released. Don't know if that true or not. But whatever the reason. It just bad pr on Lucasfilm part.

4. PreludeRM

PreludeRM FanForce CR, & Fanforce Council Calgary, Alberta star 4

Oct 28, 2002
    This is the first I've ever heard of this. The only person that was told on set that I heard was Hamill. It's been in tons of interviews. Like Prowse would know they never used his voice so why tell him. I think he'd be the last to know.

5. Mr_Mundi

Mr_Mundi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    That is also what I heard. The only three persons to know about that should be George Lucas, Mark Hamill and James Earl Jones - and then I suppose, some editors.

You guys should just come to Denmark in November. Dave Prowse and Kenny Baker is coming to a convention in Copenhagen along with 6 or 7 other guests. And since we are coming to you for CV, then you can come to us in November - yes?:D [:D] [face_batting]

6. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    Before everyone blames LFL, remember, there are always two sides to every story. Maybe the whole "revealing the ending of ROTJ" legend may or may not be true, or a contributing factor to this ban, who knows? He was at previous celebrations, but he has been known to set up tables in hotels, during events where he wasn't invited, so draw your own conclusions.

Regardless, its between LFL and Prowse. Yes, its unfortunate Vader can't be there for ESB's anniversary, but lets leave it alone.

7. Beretta911

Beretta911 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 21, 2005
    Its unlikely that is the case. Kershner has said in many interviews that a false line was inserted into the script for Prowse to deliver. "Obi-Wan killed your father" and Kersh pulled Hamill off to the side just before they filmed the scene and told Mark the real line. But Prowse was out of the loop on that. That doesn't mean he couldn't have leaked that scene, but if what Kersh said is true and I believe it is, there is just isn't a way, Prowse can't leak what he don't know.

8. JediJustin

JediJustin Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2006
    Regardless of who is at "fault" here, it sucks not having Prowse announced as an official CV guest.

My wife and I were fortunate enough to have met Prowse at CIV, but not having Darth Vader at CV will be tough to handle.

9. MattDoc

MattDoc Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2009
    Whatever. I'm over it. LFL has their reasons. They have to protect their name and brand and if they have reason to believe that having him at CV will have a negative impact on the Star Wars name, the fans' perception of the Star Wars franchise, or the fans' experience in-general, then it makes sense to not invite him.

The worst thing we, as fans, can do is speculate as to why this decision has been made. As noted above, it's between him and LFL. Sure, it affects us, the fans, but it's not something we can do anything about.

10. dustinroberts

dustinroberts TFN Content Manager star 1 VIP

Aug 23, 2001
    I've a feeling this has been building over years, hell decades, and finally he pissed off the wrong person.

11. Abhib

Abhib Jedi Youngling

Jun 22, 2010
    I am very annoyed as this would have been my first star wars convention and probably first and last convention

Thanks a lot Lucas arts

12. Princess-Leah

Princess-Leah Sketch Card Artist star 5 VIP

Jun 12, 2001
    My thoughts exactly.

13. Robonino

Robonino Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 29, 2009
    I'm with Uncle George on this one.

14. Admiral_Ozzel

Admiral_Ozzel Jedi Master star 2

Jun 7, 2003
    On the bright side there are lots of cons all over the world that he does get to go to, so we can always meet him at one of those. In fact he is going to be in Richardson, Tx (Right outside of Dallas) Aug 28th-29th. I met him @ a con in Dallas once. Very nice dude! I wouldnt ask him about this ban though.

15. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Yes, I've even heard Mark himself say this in an interview. That the only ones that knew the actual line were himself, Kersner, George, and Jones.

This is probably more accurate.

16. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Wasn't he banned from C4 as well?

17. PreludeRM

Oct 28, 2002
    No he was at C4. He budged in front of me and my friend to get Shannon McRandells autograph for his friends. Not even a sorry or anything. Pretty rude we thought. It was like he was totally oblivious to us even being there just squeezed right between us and the table to get her to sign a picture.

18. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    This was leaked back in April/Early May, but LFL tried to cover it up and say that it was false info, and then it turned out to be correct. [face_thinking]

19. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    So even Darth Vader is a Mara Jade fanboy? This turns my view of the Emperor's court upside-down.

20. jonboy

jonboy Jedi Knight

Mar 30, 2010
    what an awful way to treat an iconic part of our STAR WARS history ... no matter of the inhouse tensions between him and LFL he is an old unwell man who should have our respect for the part he played in the Saga ... funny Mr Daniels has turned himself into some fan fav when its known he was disliked by cast n crew and treated Kenny Baker very badly ..oh he will, I assure you remind you 60000000 times HE was in all,yawn,six movies!
    Grow up LFL this event is fir us the fans who over the years have SPENT N SPENT N SPENT to enable you to even contemplate an event like this so GIVE US WHAT WE WANT not some stormtrooper third from the left of Luke,no offence,but the REAL ICONIC VADER.......

21. PreludeRM

Oct 28, 2002
    In my eye I would rather the voice behind Vader then the guy under the costume. Anybody could have played Vader for that matter. I'm sure he'll set up shop in a near by hotel like usual.

It's the saying: Don't bite the hand that feed you." Mind you according to Prowse they aren't feeding him.

22. jonboy

jonboy Jedi Knight

Mar 30, 2010
    so why bring any of the people under the masks? Respect where its due ... to a guy who has been treated with none by LFL

23. PreludeRM

Oct 28, 2002
    Jonboy: Both you and I do not know all the particulars on this matter and for us to sit and crab about if he should be there or not because of what we think is pointless. Yes he did play Vader and we all loved him for that. But for us to speculate and cry is pointless..

24. jonboy

jonboy Jedi Knight

Mar 30, 2010
    i do agree i just think both sides could have acted with a bit more dignity ... anyway enough onwards to a great party CV cannot wait!!! [face_dancing]

25. padawan45

padawan45 Jedi Youngling

Jul 6, 2010
    Indeed Sir! It Was Rick McCallum Whom Dave Has "Pissed Off" On More Than One Occasion. It Has Been Building Since 1977. Dave Was Quoted Somewhere That The ONLY Reason George Lucas Used James Earl Jones' Voice Was To Get More "Blacks" To The Theatre.. Not In A Racist Way. It Was Apaperntly His Personal Justification Of Why His Voice Wasn't Used. Throughotu The Years Since. Dave Has Been On Record With His Personal Views Of Lucasfilm's Reasons And Workings. most Not Positive. I've Known Him Personally to Be Outspoken And I've Whitnessed First Hand A Couple Incidents Involving Him And Mr. McCallum. Dave Would Say Or Do Something And Rick Would Be In The Building Or In attendance At The Same Event.. Word Would Get Back And All Was Wrong With The World.. AGAIN.. There Is A Reason That Of ALL The Cast That Were Involved In Star Wars Mr. Prowse Is The ONLY One Who Was Not Used in The Prequels.. Vader Is My Favorite.. And Dave Is Also One Of My Favs As A Fan. But As That Same Fanboy.. He Has Dissappointed Me In The Fact That He Would'nt Stop Talking.. I'm An Insider So To Speak And Of ALL The Original Cast He Was The One I Wanted To See Make A Cameo. Things Are What They Are.. And Though I Will Miss Seeing Him At CV.... I Totally Understand Why He Was Banned... Padawan45

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.