main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Lucasfilm Confirms: Michael Arndt To Write Screenplay For Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Diggs, Nov 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Ooo...pretty!

I'm hoping that's what it is, at least!

2. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Well, considering Bad Robot doesn't have anything else on their plate right now, and considering Episode VII is the next movie they're working on, and considering no one cares about any other movie enough for them to be secretive about, I'd say it's a safe assumption. :)

3. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Holy **** Star Wars in the age of Twitter. That's new.

4. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Pro Scoundrel and Immortiss like this.
  5. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
  6. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    I like that guess, because that would mean an over 2 hour film.

7. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Geez, I'm having a hard time not looking at that photo now! Think about it in those bound pages lie the answers to all our questions! :p If I'm this bad with just a picture of the script I can't imagine how bad I'll be when something like a picture of Luke Skywalker is released. :D

8. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    That is an excellent photo and hint... nice find!

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  9. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Makes me wonder who else I should be stalking on twitter.

10. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    Oh man... It is pretty sad how excited I got for a minute about a picture of an unknown script... How on earth am I going to stay spoiler free when I just want to reach into that photo and read the whole thing?

11. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    They have scripts!!! Like, printed so the actors can read them and stuff!!! I can't believe this film requires scripts!!! And they made them!!!

12. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    It is interesting in that Lucas was always late on delivering his scripts, especially during the PT. Old procrastinator. Now Burk can start getting production underway, create the production calendar, decide the set pieces, build them, delineate CGI and other effects needed...Go time. I hope they take their time and get the right chemistry between the actors. Mesh the old three with the new three. Get it right.

13. Corvax855

Corvax855 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 23, 2011
    That's right, Lucas was extremely late with the scripts for the PT. I think he didn't even turn the one in for AotC until a week before shooting, and the RotS script wasn't even finished when shooting began, and was rewritten substantially during production. He basically let the art department guide the production rather than the screenplay.

The fact that the Ep7 script looks to be completely finalized (red or pink paper usually means third or final draft) is a really good sign. Most movies that end up sucking had major script problems or even lacked a script when production started because the writers were so behind.

14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Ah, never thought of that. McCallum had a whole plan of succession set up by saying George's ideas were "bold" for decades then Lucas goes and grabs Kathleen Kenedy. Salacious! (B. Crumb)

Immortiss likes this.
  15. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    So, yeah, that is possibly the Episode 7 script (3 copies = 1 for Ford, Fisher & Hamill).

It could also be, like, Mission Impossible 5.

16. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Wonder if they're all crazy over there in the MI:5 and Beyond Forum?

BigAl6ft6 and FRAGWAGON like this.
  17. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I don't think it would be MI:V. Drew Pearce just started writing the thing in May I think.

18. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Man, you really know what's going on. Must be a fan of the franchise.

19. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Not really. I just Googled it. :p

20. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I'm hoping the next tweet is of a single page that says:

"And they fight."

21. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Having a completed script means they can now proceed with the next step......assembling a cast of stellar actors to fill the roles.

A script is crucial. As William Goldman has said(to paraphrase): "You can't make a good movie from a bad script. And you can still make a bad movie from a good one."

You can still mess it up in editing and butcher it.
    There are so many points along the way that something can go wrong. But, a good script at least gets you off to a good start.

Problem with the PT, as others have stated, the scripts weren't even finished until days before shooting, if then. Not off to a good start.

This bodes well for the start.

22. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    So let's see, script finished with approximately 6 months until shooting begins. Casting is underway. Most or all of the crucial personnel are already on board. I'd say we're looking pretty good so far. We have a movie on our hands people!

23. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I found it interesting that there were three copies of the script pictured. A little Mark, Harrison and Carrie symbolism?... Sheesh, it's been so long since I've overanalyzed this kind of minuta that I actually just got nostalgic.

24. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    I think you've pretty much nailed the progression and most of the details, except for point #1 - the whole story of Luke & his sister (not necessarily a twin, and definitely not Leia) predates the ST of Eps VII-IX, it was a plotline which belonged to the even earlier 12-film plan (c1978-1979), which was mainly just about Luke & co, with a small handful of spinoff films, one of which might have been the entire PT condensed into one film, plus another which might have been about the formation of the Jedi and the Galactic Republic. Then one more about the droids alone, and another about Wookiees.

The separate Sequel Trilogy of Episodes VII-IX which GL first mentioned in 1979 seems to a very different beast altogether, something about which we know almost nothing, except that it would have been set approximately 20 years after ROTJ, and would have focused primarily upon a different set of characters, i.e. not the Big Three. The 'Other' referred to by Yoda in ESB (he wasn't referring to Leia - GL has all but acknowledged this) may well have been the protagonist.

Ironically, given the amount of spin, denial and backtracking that has occurred over the years, it may turn out to be the case that the ST currently being made will actually be more closely based upon this vision first mentioned in 1979 by GL than all the other incarnations which have been hinted at and speculated upon since 1983, even if GL himself never really thought it out.

More info regarding the amorphous Star Wars Saga here:

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/notes-quotes-on-the-changing-star-wars-saga-1975-2012.50008758/

25. Feng Shui Engine

Feng Shui Engine Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 24, 2013
    Those scripts look beautiful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.