Official Info Lucasfilm Confirms: Michael Arndt To Write Screenplay For Episode VII

Discussion in 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens - Spoilers Allowed' started by Diggs, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Yensid1974 Jedi Master

star 1
    I wouldn't count on that, not when we have the D23 Expo just weeks away in CA. That would be a perfect way to cap off the Walt Disney Studios presentation with a big Star Wars announcement.
  2. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    So you don't think the biggest Star Wars convention in the world this year (where the President of Lucasfilm will be) is going to announce anything major but some minor expo is?

If Comic Con doesn't do it, nowhere but CE2 will do it if at all. This Lucasfilm's big thing, Marvel does its own film announcements.
    Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  3. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    I wouldn't exactly call D23 a minor expo - the thing is huge and it's growing all the time. This is Disney's big event to announce upcoming projects, including Star Wars. In terms of where announcements will be made, I'm just basing my judgement off of what Disney has been saying recently in regards to the convention circuit and that has been that they will be saving major announcements for Star Wars for D23. The reasoning behind that is they didn't want to get buried under all the other announcements being made at SDCC and wanted to focus their time and energy on Marvel for that weekend.

Now, they didn't mention CEII at all at this point, so maybe something can happen there yet, but I can almost guarantee that we will hear something Star Wars-related at D23.
    Last edited by HanSolo29, Jul 20, 2013
    Yensid1974 likes this.
  4. EHT New Films Manager

Manager
    star 6
    I'm wondering if (and hoping) they'll find a way to announce something at both Celebration Europe and D23. Two different but equally important pieces of information related to E7. More Rebels information is pretty likely too.
  5. Darth Chiznuk PT Trivia Master / Game Host

Game Host
    star 5
    This is exactly what I'm hoping for. Concept art and a Big 3 announcement at CEII and perhaps an official release date or a title (or both) at D23. Perhaps some casting news that isn't related to the Big 3 could be announced at D23 too. It's going to be fun.

EDIT: And now that I think about it some news about the spin-offs would be nice. We know pretty much nothing about them other than they're being made. It'd be nice to know what they're about or who is helming them.
    Last edited by Darth Chiznuk, Jul 20, 2013
    StoneRiver and Immortiss like this.
  6. EHT New Films Manager

Manager
    star 6

And maybe some other announcement at your son's SW themed birthday party! [face_party]
  7. Darth Chiznuk PT Trivia Master / Game Host

Game Host
    star 5
    You know @eht13 next time you ruin a big surprise I'm just gonna stop coming here. JJ already tore me a new one when it got out that I'm the baddie. Jeez. [face_not_talking]
  8. EHT New Films Manager

Manager
    star 6
    Dammit, I did it again! My bad. Just so excited. :p
  9. Yensid1974 Jedi Master

star 1
    Well, that minor expo as you call it is the event hosted by the people who own Lucasfilm now so don't discount their desire to milk that fact for all it is worth.
  10. acroyear7 Force Ghost

star 2
    I just hope J.J.'s screenwriting buddies don't find their way into the sequels.
  11. Pro Scoundrel Chosen One

star 4
    That definitely won't happen.
  12. Mange Force Ghost

star 4
    "Confirmed"? By whom?
  13. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    Dave Filoni is doing a Rebels panel at CE2, so info on that seems likely.
  14. Darth Chiznuk PT Trivia Master / Game Host

Game Host
    star 5
    Don't know exactly who but TFN has confirmed with someone in the know that it's not Episode VII.
    Mange likes this.
  15. Pro Scoundrel Chosen One

star 4
    Deep Throat. Or, maybe it's Darth Throat. :)
  16. Mange Force Ghost

star 4
    Thanks! I don't know how 'confirmed' one might regard that though... Out of curiosity, any word yet on what it was?
    Last edited by Mange, Jul 21, 2013
    darklordoftech likes this.
  17. Darth Chiznuk PT Trivia Master / Game Host

Game Host
    star 5
    No problem! :) And no, I don't think there has been any word yet on what it actually was.
    Mange likes this.
  18. Ghost Chosen One

star 6
  19. Darth Chiznuk PT Trivia Master / Game Host

Game Host
    star 5
    That the pic of those screenplays that Bad Robot tweeted weren't for Episode VII.
    Summer Dreamer likes this.
  20. Ghost Chosen One

star 6
    Oh ok, thanks. Thought we had new info for a second, was too lazy to read through the last few pages :p
  21. markdeez33 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    I just saw Oblivion, and as you know, Michael Arndt penned the screenplay (under the pseudonym Michael deBruyn)

Loved it. Absolutely loved it. I usually don't like a lot of Tom Cruise movies (War of The Worlds, Last Samurai, Eyes Wide Shut, & Vanilla Sky being the exceptions), but wow, I was really impressed with Oblivion.

It almost reminded me of a film that Stanley Kubrick might make if he were around in 2013, just as far as the tone and the atmosphere of it. It was a really good film.

Just wanted to share my excitement and enthusiasm with yall, after seeing this film. I really think we're in great hands. I'll admit, I was skeptical of Arndt, because he had only penned Toy Story 3 & Little Miss Sunshine, and I thought Star Wars might be out of his range... Well.... I'm happy to say, I was wrong. Oblivion is nothing short of a masterpiece for me.

The character development was great, the story was great, the pacing was great, the dialogue was great, and I just enjoyed the film from start to finish. It might be a little slow moving or too desolate for some people's tastes, but I really thought it was done well.

There's virtually NO WAY the next episode of Star Wars can suck. My expectations for it are higher than ever, now. I expect a masterpiece. In my opinion, the creative team of the next Star Wars trilogy, will be the most talented nucleus to work on a SW film, to date. We're in good hands, fellas. Rejoice.

Go see Oblivion. Tell me what you think. Maybe I'm overrating it, I don't know, but I really enjoyed it. But I'm a sucker for dystopian sci-fi films, atleast, good ones.

Also, the casting was great. Morgan Freeman was excellent, as always. Olga Kurylenko and Andrea Riseborough were also very well cast, and nice eye candy to look at for 2 hours.
    Last edited by markdeez33, Jul 21, 2013
    Immortiss and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  22. TheBBP Chosen One

star 5
    I have been feeling this way as well.
  23. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    I wanted to see this one and missed it in the theater; the Blu-Ray is coming out August 6 in the US.

I'm glad you liked it. The Tom Cruise movies I like are all at least 20 years old, namely Top Gun and A Few Good Men, but I thought the previews for this one looked good.
  24. EHT New Films Manager

Manager
    star 6
    Merging this with the main Michael Arndt thread.
  25. Pro Scoundrel Chosen One

star 4
    I liked Oblivion a lot, but I don't know how much credit to give Arndt, because the director (Joseph Kosinski) was also the creator of the story. He was there every step of the way during the creative process. Of course this in no way works against Arndt, it's just impossible to tell how much he contributed and how much was Kosinkski.