main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Lucasfilm Confirms: Michael Arndt To Write Screenplay For Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Diggs, Nov 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Sounds like the same gig for SW, because you know, like TS3, he wrote with others, or shared in the creative process, as he did here with Oblivion, and as he does now with the ST.

2. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Already?! Gee, then studios wonder why they have trouble getting more people to go to movies. If its out a few months after opening, why bother?

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I was surprised it was coming that soon as well.

4. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah, but the difference is that he's the only one actually writing Ep. 7. Yes, he does spitball with other people, but he's the one who is actually putting it all down on paper and giving it structure. He'll decide on the dialogue, and the general interaction between the characters. Also, he's been there from the start. Before Kinsberg, Kasdan, or Abrams. Hell, before Disney. With Oblivion, there were other drafts of the script before Arndt became involved, and the director was also the creator of the story. I doubt Arndt was able to contribute as much to it. Still a great movie, though.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  5. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Oblivion didn't get many good reviews. I think I'll sit this Tom Cruise flick out.

I honestly expect the plot of SW to be utterly conventional, just like the one of ST 2009 (plot was the weakest thing about that movie).

6. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    I don't think the plot needs to be more than conventional to be honest. A New Hope is as conventional as it gets and that worked out ok. I'm hoping we get a good, simple adventure story of good vs evil with heroes we can really cheer and villains we can jeer. The plot can get more complicated as we get into 8 & 9, but for 7 I think the main goal has to be (re)introducing characters and a galactic conflict we are invested in.

7. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    No, it doesn't need to be more than conventional. I still greatly enjoyed ST 2009 despite the weak plot and villain.

JediGirl_Angelina likes this.
  8. markdeez33

markdeez33 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 25, 2013
    Yeah, sorry mods, I should've posted my assessment of Oblivion in this thread, but I was so excited, I jumped the gun.

I think Arndt is gonna do an amazing job with SW.

Who cares about the critics?? The critics pan A LOT of great movies. Mostly because they didn't "get" them. Not to say they don't hit the nail on the head most of the time, too, but I thought Oblivion was a great film.

9. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Fair enough.

And, I agree with your assessment of where critics often miss the mark. When a critic unknowingly attacks a film adaptation's source material and places blame for its concepts on the film, itself, is when that critic's work gets placed on my toilet paper roll.

Darth Chiznuk and Krueger like this.
  10. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I heard that Episode 7 will have a script . . . is that true???

11. Graphic

Graphic Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2012
    CrumpyCat would say no...

12. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Audience rating is much more important, I agree, and it also was only 60%.

13. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I really enjoyed Oblivion as well. The acting, the story, the visuals and especially the music all blew me away. Like Pro Scoundrel I don't know how much credit to give to Arndt but I certainly can't take anything away from him. Personally I loved his selection for SW from the start because I think both TS3 and LMS are amazing films.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  14. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I am rather worried, especially because the consensus seems to be that the pictures were pretty (responsibility of director), but the characters were very bland (responsibility in part of the screenwriter) and the plot apparently predictable.

15. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I can only give my own opinion of course but that's not what I thought at all. I thought the characters and the dialogue was great and the plot was very interesting.

Darth_Pevra and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  16. Skelter

Skelter Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    I am so ****ing stoked!! This is the guy that made me tolerate star strek!! That says a lot!

17. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    If you think that anything Star Wars is going to be anything but predictable, you are fooling yourself. Star Wars follows the standard formula of we have heroes and bad guys. For a while, the bad guys will beat the heroes, then in the end, the good guys triumph. Somewhere in the middle will be tragedy that must be overcome.

18. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    If Star Wars is so predictable, how come nobody has foreseen Empires plot-twist (arguably the greatest twist in cinema history) or how RotJ would end? Of course it follows good against evil like most action adventures, but you can still include some surprises.

19. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Was it that good? I wanted to see it, but...

20. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    That score reminded me of some of those electronic scores Brian Eno or Giorgio Moroder used to do. Terrific score.

21. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    The flaws of Oblivion should not be thrown at Ardnt, the movie had numerous writers and the director is ultimately responsible for the performances and story pacing.

I didn't dislike the movie, but I didn't think it was great either.

22. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Well, but then the strengths of Oblivion shouldn't be "thrown at Arndt" either.

By the way Toy Story 3 also had multiple writers.

23. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Frank_TJ_Mackey Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2000
    I agree....Arndt has a lot to prove....Little Miss Sunshine was "great" (certainly not a masterpiece).........my hopes are up....but I'm cautious.

Little Miss Sunshine is a great little movie that no one will remember in 10 years.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  24. TheStorm

TheStorm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 8, 2002

Yea....see the thing is that the majority of the screenplay was written by the director and his friend. Look at the credits. And when you follow the history of the production all Ardnt did was a polishing of the script. Joe (the director) really wanted control of the story and how it played out. The visuals alone are not what the director does either, that's over simplifying it. And if you look at that and the fact that Tron Legacy suffered from the exact same problems (same director and story writer) you start to paint the picture that Joe really is not a good story teller. Good with visuals...and that's about it.

Ardnt is an amazing writer. One of the best. I'm sure he will do wonders with Episode VII.

25. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Plus he's a fan, so he could include references to things other writers might not

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.