main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LucasFilm Copyright Release Question.

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Master_Angela, Apr 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Angela

Master_Angela Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 1, 2010
    I'm in an advanced Broadcasting class at my high school. My class has filmed a movie lasting about 10 to 15 minutes called Marvin's Revenge.

In the movie there is an Indiana Jones scene as well as a Light Saber Fight.
    We use all of our own characters, but we have the "battle of the heros" track in the background for the star wars scene and hte "Raiders march" track in for the indy scene.

My film teacher thinks our movie is really good and wants to enter it in our state short film festival, but he said we will have to take out the John Williams's music and replace it with something we create ourselves on garage band because of copyright law.

I'm wondering if there is anyway our class can contact LucasFilm to get a copyright release so we don't have to do that, because the john williams music is one of the reasons our movie looks so good, lol. :)

Thanks to anybody with information.

2. WookieeWarrior9

WookieeWarrior9 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 5, 2007
    That would probably be pretty tough to do, not to mention a very time consuming process (going through all the proper channels and all). I would recommend using some John Williams-esque music you create just to "avoid any Imperial entanglements". I have no idea, but there might be some public domain music that would fit the bill.

3. shanerjedi

shanerjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2010
    That would also be my answer to the music question: find something that's in the public domain.

4. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    You would need to contact Lucasfilm Licensing and/or Sony Music. But I doubt they would give a free permission, especially if it's not incidental music, and also because it's for a film festival which would require a release. That would probably cost a few thousand dollars.

There are other options like Jamendo, where youcan find composers an music releasedunder various creative commons licenses (some allow free use as long as you just credit it).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.