main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Lucasfilm "dramatic downsizing"

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by phatdude1138, Mar 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    JJ Abrams raped my adulthood

2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I am also anxious to see which future director rapes our retirement.

3. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I'm still waiting for Super Phantom Menace for SNES. I hope the downsizing doesn't affect this project.

4. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Dave Filoni*

Sadly, he also raped my canon.

5. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Sorry, but you haven't a clue what really happened to LucasArts do you? They shut down themselves with rotating presidents and letting their best game developers go like Vince Lee. They were reduced to a shell company years ago while content producer like Bioware carried the load.

So yeah, don't spout non-truths.

6. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    This ^

7. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    OMG.........the dark times until............2015. So long away. Try 1987 pal. Those were the real dark times. Heck, 2015 is likely when the fourth season of Game of Thrones will debut so two more years for a sequel trilogy I waited 25 years for....yeah, I can wait two years.

8. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    Anyone who tries to imply that Disney is looking to destroy Star Wars needs to really come down off of the hate wagon. Disney did not pay billions to destroy this franchise. What you can bet that they are doing (and this is going to leave many folks butthurt regardless) is that they are consolidating for what they want to do with the franchise. Kathleen Kennedy is moving forward with her vision.

9. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    I'm a child of the 70's, I know the dark times well. The last Ewoks cartoon was aired and then there was nothing until 1997. My point is during that time there was NOTHING. Right now we have SOMETHING. Actually not just some things but a whole hell of a lot of things! Things that are already in production!!! Work was already started on TCW season 8! 1313 was in production! Detours episodes were completed! It doesn't have to be "dark" for two years!!

This is how I feel right now!!

10. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    I like that movie too.

11. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    If those are my options, then yes they do need to be dark. Those are all take it or leave it for me. But again, we dont even know anything yet anyway.We're just using unsubstantiated rumors as a means to bash Disney for their supposed decisions.

12. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    If they're giving pink slips to the animators... I dont mind at all. There next animated series needs a new style badly to appeal to a larger and (hopefully) more adult audience too. Especially if put on a more adult channel like ABC and not Disney XD.

Obviously they wont be needing voice actors for a bit either, at least till something is written. Might as well let them go too...

As long as they keep the better writters and key staff thats all that really matters while they transition to the new series.

13. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    I'll ask you the same question I've asked folks in the LACWAC forums:

Scenario: if all SW media (TV, games, books, and comics) stopped today, what would you do until 2015 to get you "Star Wars Fan Fix"? Being a fan, how would you celebrate SW during this time with nothing new? Would you just abstain from all SW until 2015? Would you pop in the videos and watch them a few times? Read old books or comics?

I ask this because like I mentioned in LACWAC, I read a SW book/comic for a few minutes before bed. I "used" to watch TCW weekly (when it was on). I play SWTOR. I also am working on some Star Wars costumes. But once I've read everything. Played through SWTOR and there is nothing new, what should I do? Some people will say "well, go like some other show or movie". But BAMM,that's my point, Disney PUSHED me into doing something ELSE. They could have kept me "hooked", but instead, with lack of content and media (whic sadly they already had), I found something else to spend my time and money on that ISNT Disney.

Seagoat likes this.
  14. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    I honestly wouldn't care, phat. Yes, I am a huge Star Wars fan, but I don't have an obsession over it and must. need. it. now.

15. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Likely wont happen,Kathleen Kennedy already hinted at 2013 not having much Star Wars but 2014 being the year of Star Wars... so based on that LFL has at least a basic plan to release tons of Star Wars things before episode VII to hype its release.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  16. Jedifirefly5

Jedifirefly5 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    Not really. i prefer quality. I'm not going to fall over garbage. TCW was a high quality show. Too bad SW had been sold the most gimicky, low quality greedy exlpoiters of children in history. They wil probably take care of SW like they did Britn ey Spears mental health.

17. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013

18. Darth Cornish

Darth Cornish Jedi Grand Master star 1

Nov 7, 2000
    I'm ok with this. I would rather see Lucasfilm slimmed down and focused on EP7 than spread too thin.
    At the end of the day Disney are taking EP7 seriously and that is all that matters to me.

19. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    It's more likely a deliberate marketing decision. Starve people of the product so they get more interested when things do come out. To be honest it might be the right move as there can be to much of over saturation. I felt that way with the EU back in the mid 90's. The Thrawn books were great but then they had lots of hack writers like Stackpole and Anderson pump out those crappy X-wing and Jedi Academy books and my interest started to subside. By the NJO I gave up as there were so many authors producing so much crud but knew it would sell because of the Starwars Label on the cover. Which Terry Brooks (the king of hacks) even admitted, As he only did the TPM novelization because he knew that with the Starwars label it would sell.Quality did not even factor into to it.

In regards to the ST, well E7 is going to sell no matter what, it's E8 and E9 and whether people come back for them that count.

As for the spin-off films with young Han/Boba and Yoda I am completely un-enthused and the Yoda one I actually think would be such a bad idea I am amazed Disney are even thinking off it.

20. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    This is a little shocking since Disney stated they plan to do another animated SW show. But perhaps they didn't like the "Thunderbirds" style of animation. Disney knows animation and I'm certain whatever they come up with (as a direction) will be pretty awesome and worthy of SW. However, that is NOT to say that Dave Filoni and co didn't do a great job.

21. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    agreed.

Shutting down the animation department doesn't affect the film department. Disney bought Lucasfilm to make films. ILM and SS are fine and they are part of Lucasfilm.

The animation department was started for the Clone Wars correct? This is not a shockor unexpected.

22. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    He raped me before I was born [face_pig]

23. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    But Harrison Ford is looking forward to it ;)

24. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    You don't know that. Even Yoda cannot see their fate.

But this is not going to happen, so it's no use crying about it. There'll be tons of new Star Wars material just as there has been for the last twenty-or-so years. Just not Clone Wars or 1313 or Detours (thank goodness).

25. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Since when is it certain that it will be "dark" from now until EpVII? Who knows what they'll come up with. In any case we're going to be busy soon with official casting news, scoops, various announcements, then shooting info, set photos & videos, teasers & trailers. Strap yourselves in!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.